1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. MantaRevan

MantaRevan Emperor

Hopefully they will add more, alpha centauri had a strong and focused story with just a few civs, but I think I'd want more.

2. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

It could be "minor civs" similar to city-states. But different enough that it isn't a re-skinned Civ V.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

3. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

They mostly wanted to cover the globe. If there are any expansions (which i doubt there will be, but I'd like to be surprised), then they'll definitely have more factions, including Europeans. Just be glad half of the factions aren't from Europe (america and australia don't count)

4. Kakhovsky

Kakhovsky Chieftain

Absence of any japan-based faction is a bit dissapointing. But the list is quite decent:

ARC, PAC, SF are obviously obligatory.

Franco-Iberia - a bit odd romanic combination representing the EU. Maybe they will be "the Green" of the game. In trailer they were loading some plants on board.

Kavithan Protectorate - I am no expert, but are there any female prophet, guru or any other figure of the kind in Hinduism? No sexism implied, or are they not Hindu?

People's African Union - fine with me. Unrealistic now, but it is future, SiFi future.

Polystralia - strange naming, but glad to see these guys on board. But it is important to make them not bland and to combine the national components in a passable way.

'Brazilia' - carnivals proved to be efficient :). The main militarists of the game according to the available information. It's interesting to see their approach to "agression": superior training, superior weaponry or the linear arithmetic of numbers.

5. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Technically Japan is part of the PAC.
    As for the PAU - Gadaffi pushed for a united Africa, and supposedly it's scheduled for 2023 according to wikipedia's article on the African Union.

6. Kakhovsky

Kakhovsky Chieftain

Japanese under China dominion are sad japanese.
    The African Union idea is quite obvious and rational (free trade, counterterrorism, joint projects etc). But its implementation is so obscure...

7. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Who says it is Japan that is under China's domination?
    They selected a Chinese named expedition leader, but maybe they are just a little bit smarter about how they manage their conquests than the 1930s (only took 300 years)

As for Kavitha as a prophet... She is not a prophet yet, but I'm sure that her teachings are at least strongly related to Hinduism (and possibly Islam as well... This may be the faction that covers the Middle East faction... Perhaps 2000-2200 for Kavithanism was like 600-800 for Islam...wave of military domination of the cradle of civilization.)
    I could see her claiming to be "truly Hindu" but nonKavithan Hindus saying she is not (ala Mormons). But Hinduism is syncretic.

8. CaterpillarKing

Maybe Japan just isn't powerful enough to do the space expeditions. They aren't necessarily under occupation but just are "minor civs".

9. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

A Sino-Cambodian expedition leader and China doing what China does.

10. Pyramid Head

Pyramid Head Chieftain

Maybe Japan simply sunk.

11. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

The mountains there reach quite high. Just sayin'...

12. CaterpillarKing

Yeah, if Japan goes under than I'm pretty sure you would have to have water pumped in from another planet to do that because glaciers simply don't have enough. Japan probably would be strong enough to protect itself from flooding.

13. Kakhovsky

Kakhovsky Chieftain

I'll hope to see some "Samurai Crossfire" addon.

It would be pity to see Japan as a "shade of implication" in PAC. Arabs will be probably represented in the same manner in PAU.

14. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Perhaps the Japan based PAC is more concerned with dominating Earth, the 'Seeding' is partially public relations and partially to get rid of low level trouble makers.

And it would be explained by Japan doing what Japan did in WW2.. Just doing it more effectively this time.

Or maybe Korea dominates.(S.Korea has its Reconquista and goes imperialist).. Or Cambodia..
    Or maybe 200 years and the shock of the Great Mistake lessened xenophobia just enough so that it is truly cooperative. (But loosely held together like the modern EU)

15. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

We can't tell for sure how far the PAC reaches. Or any other faction, for that matter.

For all we know Japan might be part of the ARC, or being reserved for an expansion.

16. CaterpillarKing

Perhaps Japan is just a puppet of the PAC.

17. BrazilianSpacer

BrazilianSpacer Chieftain

I'm pretty sure they will add more through expansions and DLC. Those are the factions I would want them to add:

Latinoamerica - represents the Spanish speaking countries of America (assuming Brasilia hasn't already destroyed them). I know Brazil is also a part of Latin America and it doens't speak Spanish (I'm a Brazilian myself, duh), but it already has it's own faction and the rest of Latin America needs representation IMO.

Mediterranean Union - represents Italy and Greece.

Commonwealth - represents Britain and her colonies (assuming they still have any colonies in Beyond Earth's time frame).

Germanic Alliance/Coalition - represents Germany, Austria and Scandinavia. I'm still not sure which would be the best name for it.

Arab League - represents all arab countries.

18. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Heh, in my opinion Italy + Greece faction is rather weak when compared with such giants as All Slavic/African/Eastern Asian Countries United or even France + Spain + remnants of Western Europe :D

I wouldn't base 22nd century factions on such strict linguistic/ethnic divisions ;) Although yeah, lack of central Europe is really strange.

On the other hand, if sea levels risen ~60m (which is probable in far future of BE) the following European areas would sunk:
    - Netherlands :(
    - Flemish half of Belgium :p
    - northern 1/3 of Germany
    - Denmark, most densely populated areas of Sweden
    - huge areas of British Isles including all biggest cities and urban areas
    - huge part of Northern Italy

So theoretically I can imagine scenario in which Great Britain, Netherlands, Germany, Scandinavia and Italy are massacred by sea level rise, while Eastern Europe is in Slavic Federation, and France + Spain are last European superpowers. Although personally I would still name this faction Western European Pact or something like that :D

Wait, what colonies do they have today? :D

Anyway, Commonwealth seems to be very improbable - remember, London is under water :( Australia and New Zealand are in Polystralia so only Canada remans... And South Africa/India certainly are not going to return into Commonwealth :p

Rather not 'Arabian' nation because it seems People's African Union covers the entire Africa (which is by the way a bit strange, since North African muslim countries have almost nothing in common with subsaharan black Africa) and such countries as Turkey, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan have no 'Arabian' heritage. But yeah, I am surprised by the absence of Islamic faction (while including Polystralia :lol: ) and I would love to see something like The Second Caliphate or The Crescent Company ;)

19. BrazilianSpacer

BrazilianSpacer Chieftain

Who knows? Perhaps Italy and Greece grew to become powerful nations?

Oh, I didn't think about that. :lol:

Britain still have some overseas territories, but they are nearly insignificant and they might have also sunk with the sea levels rise.

I was actually thinking about naming them that way, but for some reason I've choosen "Arab League".

20. Liex

Liex King

Spoiler large pictures :

Nothing really new in terms of information, but I don't think I ever saw these pictures. Daoming's death look deserves a special mention.

They're from a Chinese forum, which may or may not have some interesting information, and from a Spanish site which has a nice interview with Lena Brenk.