Beyond Earth Factions

Firaxis is definitely building on a backstory with this game. They diet seem to worried in SMAC but this is actually really interesting. Half the fun for me will be the back stories of the people and factions. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I just hope they (people and backstories) WILL be as interesting as SMAC. Though I never played one... :blush: I'm just disgustingly and unashamed, assuming they were.

Who do you think will be next Montezuma in this game? :p

I mean, this guy who loves wars and expansion...

http://well-of-souls.com/civ/civbe_overview.html

So far we know that Panasian Cooperative as well as Kavithan Protectorate have disadvantages at military. So no warring Asians.
Also, People's African Union has no military advantage/disadvantage, and their leader looks rather... uhm... I am more afraid of Daoming than him so far :D
The same thing - lack of military adv/dis - has American Reclamation Corporation so no Warmongering 'Murica.

On the other hand:
- Brasilia is going to be militaristic
- As well as Slav Confederation, mr General Kozlov :lol:
- We don't know literally anything on Franco - Iberia (leader: Elodie) and Polystralia (Hutama). Frankly, both of these exotic states don't really fit Military stereotype :p But I guess one of them will receive 'Military' advantage.

So far it seems that in BE Montezuma will be either 'Russian' general or Brazilian dictator. Still better than 'crazy muslim prophet' or 'Chinese hivemind maniac'.

Although I have nothing against exotic warmonger such as angry female Elodie of neo - France or... Or... Hutama the Great Pirate of Polystralia on hoovering laser canoes...

By the way, do you think Kavithan Protectorate covers Near East? Its absence as separate faction is surprising. On the other hand, if I had to point the area of the world which is most endangered by terrorism... And religious fanatism... And nuclear war... And clashing world superpowers... And political instability... And oil resources completely exhausted by 23rd century... And desertification... And lack of water... Oh. Yeah. I guess Near East is too massacred by the Great Mistake to be separate faction, so I guess African muslim countries entered African Union while Pakistan/Afghanistan/maybe even more countries entered Kavithan Protectorate.

Although I would have nothing against expansion pack with two new faction - Patria Grande and The Crescent Company. The former would include the entire Spanish Latin America. And we would have 10 factions.

---------------
By the way I constantly mistakenly read KARDASHIAN PROTECTORATE instead of KAVITHAN PROTECTORATE :lol:

My guess ist that Brasilia and The Slavic Federation will be militaristic in different ways. I think Brasilia will be aggressive and Montyesque and be good at early warfare with lots of units while the SF will have a military and science focus and generally have smaller armies of advanced units with orbital support.

On the other hand France used to be a very militaristic and aggressive country before two world wars disabused them of the notion that war is glorious. It would be interesting to see them return to the old ways.

So far we don't know anything about Franco - Iberia but this name already suggest returning to the good old times :D I mean, this is not 'West European Rainbow Company', this is Franco Iberia like the dream of Charlema -

wait a second.

We all think Franco - Iberia is literally FRANCE + SPAIN

BUT

what if 'Franco -' means 'Frankish Empire'?

Franco - Iberia =

Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany while in the east there is just Slavic Federation? (and Scandinavia is apparently isolated in its ecoterrorist regime and doesn't care about going beyond earth)

This would be

a) Fascinating

b) Made more sense than 'France + Spain what the hell'

c) Allow on including more European states and solve the problem of 'how France + Spain faction is economically equal to the USA/Brazil/China' :p

How can you forgot Portugal? :lol:

About your idea, I would prefer it's another name like Greater Carolingia or something like that. I don't sure if Franco-Iberia is a real faction name but it sound bad to my ear.

And there are hardly anyone who identify themselves as Franks for about a thousand years, but I think it's pretty much valid assumption :)

How can you forgot Portugal? :lol:

About your idea, I would prefer it's another name like Greater Carolingia or something like that. I don't sure if Franco-Iberia is a real faction name but it sound bad to my ear.

And there are hardly anyone who identify themselves as Franks for about a thousand years, but I think it's pretty much valid assumption :)

Franco - Iberia is confirmed name. Yeah it sounds stupid :D
BE takes place 250 years in the future when such things as POLYSTRALIA, confederation of Slavic nations or imperial corporations are apparently possible :p
So while I know there are no 'people' who identify with Franks... Wait, look - many empires in the history of Europe were built on Frankish legacy. Obvious one - France, but also Holy Roman Empire, Habsburgs... Even Napoleon returned in 19th century to the myth of Charlemagne.

BE developers didn't choose the boring obvious way of 'hey in the future Europe will be united as... uh... European Union 2.0' :p but instead Europe is divided between Slavic Federation (the entire Eastern Europe, I guess) and Franco - Iberia. The name 'Franco - Iberia' IMHO signals some kind of 'return to the roots'.

Now, what are Western European countries going to return to if European Union has collapsed and nationalism is no longer possible? The universalism of Charlemagne seems plausible for me. Hey, this is the main pillar of European civilization (secondary pillars: ancient Roman Empire, Jewish religion, Byzantium, knowledge from Islam civilization - but those are not really possible in this case :p )

There are two options.

1) Franco - Iberia is literally FRANCE + SPAIN + PORTUGAL :)D ) and it is by far the stupidest faction of BE. Not only ~100 million people are somehow supposed to face such factions as Panasian Cooperative with ~1,5 billion people, but what exactly the cooperation/culture of these nations is based on? Uhm... Catholic Church? Huge problems with internal minorities? :crazyeye: (French muslims, Basque, Catalonia)...

2) Franco - Iberia is FRANKISH EMPIRE 2.0 as the new era of Europe. Countries united around the myth of Charlemagne and first European universalism. Also so far developers didn't reveal mandatory 'cultural powerhouse' faction - FI would fit here perfectly. France and Spain are the greatest touristic powers of the world today. The entire faction would make sense for me:
France + Belgium + Luxemburg + Switzerland + Austria + Germany + Belgium + Italy = Frankish Kingdom
+ Spain + Portugal = Franco - Iberia

Cultural powerhouse. Old good Europe, Western Europe. Legacy of Rome and Charlemagne. If this faction won't exist in BE I will mod it :D

That's actually far greater than having the boring civilized and democratic European Union stereotype. I mean, who you think you fooling? Damn Europeans have been slaughtering other peoples and each other for thousands of years. They have adopted this "united and peaceful" talk for less than 100 years. Why would it last for the next 200? Remember that the post-Napoleonic peace almost didn't make it into the 20th century.

I hope you're right Krajzen, simply France + Spain + Portugal sounds boring and odd.

Also because I can't grasp how could such a significant country as Germany be left out, no matter what kind of "great mistake" there might be. It's almost like deciding not to include America in any form.

The "Franco" meaning "Frankish" makes sense. So, pretty much - Latin speaking Europe. That would be pretty sweet. France + Spain + Portugal was always odd to me, even if, hey, I'm Portuguese guys: Portugal INTO space? That's cute!

Still, even if it's France, Spain and Portugal... bear in mind that the population/sheer productivity doesn't mean much when you get to planet X. India's massive population will be left alone on Earth. And much could have changed with the Great Mistake.

France alone, for example, as of 2014, has a disproportional space capability compared to, say, Brazil, with its 200 million souls. The same can be said for Russia versus China. Or the US versus India and China. And so on.

Let alone a "migration"... if the technical means are assured, the population/earthly economy size means little on the long run.

2) Franco - Iberia is FRANKISH EMPIRE 2.0 as the new era of Europe. Countries united around the myth of Charlemagne and first European universalism. Also so far developers didn't reveal mandatory 'cultural powerhouse' faction - FI would fit here perfectly. France and Spain are the greatest touristic powers of the world today. The entire faction would make sense for me:
France + Belgium + Luxemburg + Switzerland + Austria + Germany + Belgium + Italy = Frankish Kingdom
+ Spain + Portugal = Franco - Iberia

I think that this idea is not the right one. Firaxis will need a space to more factions in the next expansions or DLC (I hope so), and 1-3 more factions won't be good for them. ANd the sea lvel rising will destroy Belgium, Netherlands, luxemburg and Denmark. So the faction will include (according to this idea) France, Switherland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal.

I think that this idea is not the right one. Firaxis will need a space to more factions in the next expansions or DLC (I hope so), and 1-3 more factions won't be good for them. ANd the sea lvel rising will destroy Belgium, Netherlands, luxemburg and Denmark. So the faction will include (according to this idea) France, Switherland, Austria, Germany, Italy, Spain and Portugal.
I think this is an important point that the folks who are trying to cram every current Earth nation into 8 factions seem to be missing. There are surely many more entities than the 8 represented in the game, if only to allow for DLC and/or expansions. No version of Civilization ever included ALL of the nations on the planet.

I think this is an important point that the folks who are trying to cram every current Earth nation into 8 factions seem to be missing. There are surely many more entities than the 8 represented in the game, if only to allow for DLC and/or expansions. No version of Civilization ever included ALL of the nations on the planet.

Which is why they will probably be vague about the territory of the factions. All we may get are a couple of areas that are at least partially in or a general continental area.(ie Franco Iberia includes parts of modern france and part of the iberian peninsula, ARC controls parts of N America, etc.)

I won't be surprised if they focus on the leaders and barely say anything about the factions other than "they value culture, but deem science unimportant".

Which is why they will probably be vague about the territory of the factions. All we may get are a couple of areas that are at least partially in or a general continental area.(ie Franco Iberia includes parts of modern france and part of the iberian peninsula, ARC controls parts of N America, etc.)
Pretty much. People are jumping to conclusions left and right. I believe they'll leave plenty of space for DLC/expansion factions.

Pretty odd to think that Germany's role are being overlooked. Maybe there are New East Germany forcefully joined into SF after victory in war with remnant of EU sometimes before 2250.

I don't think the Great Mistake would hit Germany, Britain and Scandinavia in particular, or was it? Maybe the Great Mistake is "hit" in such wide area but most of vanilla's 8 is mostly intact?

Pretty odd to think that Germany's role are being overlooked. Maybe there are New East Germany forcefully joined into SF after victory in war with remnant of EU sometimes before 2250.

I don't think the Great Mistake would hit Germany, Britain and Scandinavia in particular, or was it? Maybe the Great Mistake is "hit" in such wide area but most of vanilla's 8 is mostly intact?

Well if it didn't hit them then obviously the mistake wasn't all that catastrophic and we would not need to send people to new planets.

I won't be surprised if they focus on the leaders and barely say anything about the factions other than "they value culture, but deem science unimportant".

Sounds plausible. Civ5 was too leader centric IMHO and I think it's possible that BE will be even more, since science fiction, not bound by history etc.

Well if it didn't hit them then obviously the mistake wasn't all that catastrophic and we would not need to send people to new planets.

Uh. I mean, that's remind me of "The Day After Tomorrow" where there are such a great natural "global" catastrophe on (basically) developed world which the USA migrate their citizen to Mexico and South America. :crazyeye:

I don't sure if "them" in your post would mean "Germany + Britain + Scandinavia in particular" I want to say.

Top Bottom