1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Beyond Earth Factions

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Haphaz, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

+1

Also, General Kozlov. I have nothing against SF (Although I hope that it is more than reskinned USSR - like that East Siberia is "protected" by Pan-Asian Cooperative when Neouzbeks (Coming out in expansion set) annexed Central Russia, thus giving them some reason to form the Fedration) but somewhat I fear that we would get some burly, Stalinesque old man.

2. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Early dev comments mentioned the existence of a leader resembling Yuri Gagarin, and Kozlov could very well be it instead of the stereotypical Soviet general.

3. Algeroth

Algeroth 8 and 1/2

Oh, yeah, totally forgot about that. If that's so, than: "Good work Firaxis:goodjob:"?

4. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Yeah, I would hate Soviet - like Russian old general Kozlov :p General of India, or Africa, or Brazil (!) - this sounds interesting. General Kozlov sounds cheesy :p

Personally I hope Austronesia... sigh... Polystralia will include Indonesian Archipelago. It is insane for me to imagine almost lone Australia (22 millions people currently + few millions people of relatively minor population of Oceania - just 16 millions! And remember, sea levels are rising :crazyeye: ) being powerful enough to oppose such giants Panasian Cooperative, African Union or USA :crazyeye:

Yeah yeah 250 years in the future... But Australia 200+ years since colonization still has only ~22 million people - while USA has 300m, Mexico 120m, Brazil 200m and even Canada 35m. Why? Because most of Australia is extremely hostile to human inhabitants (famous 'Australian terrifying animals' :D ) and it is hard for me to imagine Australia being demographically on the same level as even Franco - Iberia. And as I said, Oceania has relatively tiny population.

On the other hand - Polystralia constisting of: Oceania + Australia + Indonesia + Malaysia + Philippines?

Indonesia is even currently, with pretty poor population, world 10th economy, and it is quickly rising. 240 million people. Geographically close to Australia. Next to it - Malaysia, much smaller but on the other hand pretty rich and developed. Next to it - Philippines, anomaly which doesn't fit anywhere, currently poor but 250 years in the future?...

Currently such confederation would have over 400 million people. This is impressive.

Yeah Australia is mainly English. But it is very diverse country as all countries of this area. Hell, I did quick research - out of 22m inhabitants of Australia ~10% is from Asia. And in next 250 years Asian percentage in Australia will definitely rise :p

By the way, how in Earth it is possible that Australia has 2 millions of Asian immigrants while far cold Canada has 5 millions of them? o_o

5. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

You know what else is an underrepresented part of the world?

Antarctica.

I want a super intelligent penguin faction.

6. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Australia has a 20% migrant population and additionally 40% of people in Australia have parents that were born overseas.

Also, Krajzen - Aus is sparsely populated because of the terrain, not because of the animals lol.

Also remember that population =/= level of influence. Australia and Canada are relatively small in numbers - but history has shown how important diplomatically both nations have been.

I could easily see Philippines and Indonesia (which are both Next 11 countries) and PNG (which us still under our Sphere of Influence) become affiliated with Polystralia.

Mind you - Polystralia could easily be a scientific research conpany/cooperative too. Things invented in Aus and NZ combined with our Nobel Laureates are staggeringly high for our tiny populations.

7. CaterpillarKing

CaterpillarKing Conqueror of Cacoons

This is exactly what I was saying minus the penguins. :p with all the natural resources currently protected by the UN but eventually wouldn't be, Antarctica could be colonized then declare independence. :)

Because like America, Canada had a major railroad industry and general industry booming. Just more jobs and such. :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

8. Freedom Geek

Freedom Geek Chieftain

Polystralia?

As an Australian I'm almost disappointed by that - it will make it slightly harder to choose whichever faction I want for aloof ideological reasons. I'll still do it of course.

9. CaterpillarKing

Well.... On the bright side you will likely be able to rename your faction or can even go into the depths of the coding and change it :) it could be worse. You Aussies could have not been represented at all :p

10. Freedom Geek

Freedom Geek Chieftain

I wasn't complaining about the name - personally I'm of the opinion that the "stop the boats" people need to get stuffed.

I was just commenting that I'm so used to an absence of an Australian faction in games like this that it seems jarring. Usually I just pick whichever faction feels ideologically closest, and I while I'm definitely still going to do that here it will feel a bit strange if that doesn't end up being the Australian faction. I'll get over it - 200 years is plenty of time for cultures to change and for me the immortal future godking adviser to learn a new language and emigrate to a new country. :p

11. ptoss1

ptoss1 King

Polystralia does sound stupid

Austronesia would fit better.

Or just name it after the guy in charge like Kavithan Protectorate.

12. CaterpillarKing

I know the feeling. In civ games I tend to gravitate towards European civs, especially Germany because of my heritage. Germany and America are my go-to civs :p

13. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Pfft.. I'm free of heritage bounding me to particular civs / factions.. :cool:

14. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

White Australia Policy until the late 1960s meant Asian immigration only really began in the 70s (excluding a very small Asian population leftover from the 19th century mining boom before the policy started)

It's an interesting topic in relation to Polystralia, if the leader of the faction is indeed Hutama. It would be easy for the faction to be just based on Indonesia, ignoring Australia, but the name indicates that's not going to be the case.

Jackman?

15. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

Daoming is definitely not a Chinese last name. It's the person "first name". Sochua is a Khmer surname. I know about Daoming not being a last name because of my Chinese heritage.

16. BrazilianSpacer

BrazilianSpacer Chieftain

Two things are annoying me so far:

Polystralia is a terrible name, Austronesia is light years better.

The second thing is Franco-Iberia. Don't get me wrong, Spain, Portugal and specially France are very influential countries, but I think it would be better to have a faction representing all of Western Europe (as Eastern Europe is mostly covered by the Slavic Federation). I even have an idea for it: The cities of this "space EU' would have very diversified names. There would be cities with English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Greek, Danish and Swedish names. As it is France who is leading the expedition (according to the trailer) the first colony/capital city would have a French name.

On the other hand, the Pan-Asian Cooperative is already my favourite faction. Its focus on culture, energy and science are exactly what I would want for a faction.

17. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

So these names are being decided already.. I wonder if comments here really help out the development of the factions for BE..

18. Cyon

Cyon Cosmonaut

I think that they have left parts of Europe out so they can include them as dlc or a expansion.

If they would have four new factions for a expansion my guess is that it would include the following:

1. Cresent trade corporation (Arabs
    2. Baltic league (Germany, Scandinavia, Poland and Balticum)
    3. Japan (they are part of PAC but could break free from them)
    4. New Ottoman empire (turkey)

And if six new they could throw in an antarctic faction, or British or aliens (post contact victory) any other faction that you think is missing?

Skickat från min GT-I9195 via Tapatalk

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

New factions should be
    1. Antarctic
    2. Non-territorial ngos (many of these)
    3. Hispanic america
    4. Germanic/nordic areas

20. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

You're right, it seems. Wikipedia appears to be inconsistent in its representation of last name-first name conventions, so it can be confusing.

There's still a problem, however. The CivBE leader is a woman, yet all instances of Daoming I've been able to find are men. A number of "baby name" sites claim it's a female name, but I couldn't find any corroboration for that.