(Beyond the Sword) I dont understand how cities can be "gifts"

Once in Civ III an "underdog" AI civ I liked was about to be wiped off the map, so I gave them my smallest city, deep in my territory, and some "rebuilding aid" in the form of gold and techs.

Later in the game they rewarded me for my goodwill by declaring war on me:crazyeye:.

What's lorra, lorra love? I tried to look it up but only saw some "famous" person.

It's from a tedious British singer and TV presenter called Cilla Black. In her thick Liverpool accent "lot of" sounded like "lorra", and has become a bit of a cultural touchstone for Brits of a certain age...

Good examples, I knew I had to be wrong. Guess theres the sale of Alaska too. I was just annoyed a bit by it at the time. The developers are very good at what they do, and I sheepishly admit Ive learned my share about human history from playing the game, by using the references.

I just get irked when my advisor advises me to give my city away one turn after I found them, or one turn after I take them. I hope I can tell him to be quiet and not miss anything important. I just got the game, and its not much of a con in comparison to the swarm of pros.

Ignore the advice to give your city away. That probably qualifies as a bug, since it happens every time you found a new city, once there is a neighbor in the vicinity.

Execute the advisor for even trying to suggest something so ******ed, or turn off advisor popups; most of the advice they give is trash anyways.

Good examples, I knew I had to be wrong. Guess theres the sale of Alaska too. I was just annoyed a bit by it at the time. The developers are very good at what they do, and I sheepishly admit Ive learned my share about human history from playing the game, by using the references.

I just get irked when my advisor advises me to give my city away one turn after I found them, or one turn after I take them. I hope I can tell him to be quiet and not miss anything important. I just got the game, and its not much of a con in comparison to the swarm of pros.

You're right about the advisors being annoying. If you're not learning from the Sid's tips, turn them off. At least they're not as bad as the blue circles, though. Those give awful advice for city placements and mediocre advice for workers.

Btw, just because we've thrown a lot of reasons for why you might do this doesn't mean you always should. I mean, building a city does take some commitment. The advantages are very situational and should only be done rarely. I can't remember the last time I gave a city away without Tokugawa nearby. Even setting up overseas colonies should not be done lightly.

Also, these reasons matter less and less the lower the difficulty (for you). If you're a new player and trying a new difficulty I would suggest against using these tricks.

Depends on what you want from gifting cities, you can usually just trade the AI for tech instead if your in a war with them and its not going well.

There's a very funney trick you can pull off aswell by gifting a dangerous AI like Toku, to get them to instant pleased by gifting them a city. If you let a barb get close to the gifted city, and if they destroy it after you gifted it, you get the diplo bonusus from the AI, but they don't get the city!

Watch TMIT's Ragnar lp and his linclon lp, he pulls this trick off very nicely (unfortunately the barbs don't get the the city). and i believe they dissucssed this on a ep of polycast, nt sure which one now but i think it was in season 4.

Top Bottom