Big and Small Free For All

DMOC

Mathematician
EDIT: Game started, see post 38 for more info.

Hi guys, I'm looking to start my second PBEM. :D

Settings:

Map - Big and Small (hence the title :rolleyes: ). However, I know Big and Small maps may have some isolated starts which obviously no one wants to play with so I will select the setting "Island Regions Mixed In" to reduce the probability of an isolated start. I also selected "Massive Continents" and "Islands" normal size. The massive continent setting generally creates a pangea-like map but looks better than a pangea since it's got extra peninsulas/islands to spice things up. You can see the "complete guide to map creation" in the War Academy to see what a map like this would generate.

Speed - Normal (We could play quick, but normal seems fine and the game will last a long time anyway)

Difficulty - Monarch (This way barbarians, which are set to their normal setting, will provide some danger, but definitely not much)

Tech Trading: Off (If you guys strongly want tech trading on, then I could allow this. However it would force the need for alliances)

Map Size: Standard with high sea level (I think this fits well with 6, as we can get ample room for about 6-8 cities IIRC). If anyone has a better map recommendation please feel free to tell me. :goodjob: I am also willing to hav standard with normal sea level. Usually that's the standard around here with 7 civs, but we've got 6 so we'd be getting extra land.

Other options: No Huts, No Random Events, No Vassal States. Are there any other settings I should add? Choose Religions?

Additional Rule: No wars until turn 25/3000 BC. I set this rule in my other PBEM and I like the idea of this because this ensures that no one gets a quick exit if they have been planning out the start for a while. It's possible that a civ starting with a scout could get mauled on turn 10 by someone who starts with a warrior and whose capital is 6 tiles away from theirs. I just find that unfair (kind of like barbarian uprising events).

To recap: Massive continents, Standard Size, High Sea level, and Islands Mixed In

# of players: 6 (definitely not 7, too much). I would prefer 6 since it means that I can find time to play 1 turn every 2-4 days (works well with my schedule).

Players so far:

1. DMOC - Kublai Khan/Mongolia - dmocdmoc @ gmail dot com
2. xracrossx - Huayna Capac/Inca - xracrossx _at_ gmail dot com
3. mc-red - Mansa Musa/Mali - mcred dot civ at gmail dot com
4. Ruff hi - Isabella/Spain - ruff_hi at gmail dot com
5. GyroLeader - Tokugawa/Japan - ppsecATwindowsliveDOTcom
6. fizikis - Napoleon/France -

Please sign up here, stating civ name (no unrestricted leaders, since I feel that we should play with the standard civs provided), time zone, and preferred time of play. :goodjob: (xracrossx and I discussed this via PM which expains his signup here). Please don't post emails until we get a turn order set.

Lastly, this is BtS with patch 3.19. Please be sure you have that. :king:

I'd like to join for this as Monty ok with settings. Don't mind tech trading off to be honest but ok either way.

I'd be interested in playing. GMT-5. Suggest you send round a quick and dirty test game just to make sure that the various players all have the same civ4 set up.

Hopefully, we can use the Buffy mod.

we could use the buffy mod but everyone would have to have it installed. I haven't played a pbem game with buffy or bug as my code base seems to keep on moving.

I see your point ruff. I think it makes sense not to use the mod. A turn at a time shouldn't really need it as much as a SP situation.

I tried installing BUFFY on my computer, but I could never get it to work (this was one reason why I had to temporarily withdraw from SGOTM 10).

So current signups:

Me (Kublai Khan) GMT-5
xracrossx (Huayna Capac)
mc-red (Montezuma)
Ruff hi (Civ?) GMT -5

xracrossx and mc-red, what are your timezones?

Also we have 2 spots left.

Edit: Hm, maybe my timezone is GMT-4, strange I thought it was -5. I live in the USA east coast.

I'm GMT 0 and east coast is GMT -5 I believe

civ ... hmm ... Louie XIV of France.

Why didn't BUFFY work for you - what type of errors were you getting?

I couldn't start up a normal BUFFY game with locked modified assets on correctly. I would be able to play the game, but I'd get the message that this game isn't valid for HoF.

I'm going to do a complete reinstall of my entire CIV game sometime in the next few days.

Also, ruff_hi, what are your computer settings and do you know of any mods that may cause trouble with multiplayer (I only use BUG and Blue Marble though).

Anything installed in the customassets folder will have no impact on MP games (civ4 ignores various files in customassets for MP - BM games are acceptable for MP games). If you have changed the basic install (python, xml, dll) then you will have problems (different assets). You can play a mod as MP but everyone has to be playing exactly the same mod.

I sent you my email DMOC

GyroLeader, I will send you a test save as soon as you send me your email via PM.

To all: xracrossx and mc-red were both successfully able to play my turn. Also, I was able to successfully open the save that mc-red sent back, so no problems there.

Ruff_hi I will also be sending you a test save.

If no one else joins then I guess a 5 player game would be fine.

Incidentally, my email is dmocdmoc at gmail dot com.

Top Bottom