black tiles in C2C

Status
Not open for further replies.
It runs just fine for me in 64 bit without setting the compatibility (and of course the extracted files work fine), but then again it could be dependent on the version of PakBuild. Mine is 2.14.

on the SVN everytime i update the first time i run it i need to safe my game and then Exit due to the map being All black also the banners are black/grey but Second time it works good and until the next update it behaves itself

This is my window from PackBuild Preferences

Attachments

• pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 129
I was hoping that deleting .28 completely and extracting .29 would fix the black tile problem. I've just read about 50 posts and tried a bunch of stuff listed to no avail. Would you "sticky" the best solution, or solutions if there's more than 1 so it's right at the top of the list? I think this mod is pretty awesome, but where it worked once, it has never again. (Black Tiles).

I was hoping that deleting .28 completely and extracting .29 would fix the black tile problem. I've just read about 50 posts and tried a bunch of stuff listed to no avail. Would you "sticky" the best solution, or solutions if there's more than 1 so it's right at the top of the list? I think this mod is pretty awesome, but where it worked once, it has never again. (Black Tiles).
The most reliable solution has been to unpack the FPKs (at the cost of a long loading time).

You know, given the endless pages of fruitless discussion and the fact a lot of newbies are probably going to wander into this page confused and possibly bork their computer with all sorts of voodoo-magic, why not close this thread and open an entirely new one that makes clear the present solution to this issue and that people can speculate on other possible causes and solutions to it within it.

I second that opinion. Especially after my last fiasco of attempting voodoo :cry:

You know, given the endless pages of fruitless discussion and the fact a lot of newbies are probably going to wander into this page confused and possibly bork their computer with all sorts of voodoo-magic, why not close this thread and open an entirely new one that makes clear the present solution to this issue and that people can speculate on other possible causes and solutions to it within it.

Good idea but who's going to compile the debugging methods as expressed throughout the many pages here? Rightfuture... where u at?

You're missing my point; there's no need to compile any of these debugging methods when we've got the FPK method, any more than, say, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders needs to list exorcism and homeopathy alongside antipsychotic drugs as a treatment for schizophrenia.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders needs to list exorcism and homeopathy alongside anti-psychotic drugs as a treatment for schizophrenia.

:eek:Say What:faint:

He is saying is all we need do is close this thread and open a new one which has in the opening post the way to solve black tiles is to extract the art from the FPK and how to do it. It always solves the problem.

Warning this document has not been tested by someone else yet. I am dyslexic and sometimes get stuff in the wrong order. Can anyone confirm this is all correct. If it is then can we get this thread closed and a new sticky one created with a copy of this as its opening post?

What exactly do i need to do to fix the black tiles?

Some quick things that fix the problem for some people.
1) Delete the contents of C:\Users\<your name here>\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

2) Deleting the contents of C\Users\<your name here>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets.
Note: "Documents" may be "My Documents" on some versions of windows. On my machine it is "Documents\My Documents".​

Final thing to try when all else fails

1) Get the program PakBuild.

2) use PakBuild to extract all the art from the FPK files in the Caveman2Cosmos/Assets
Click PAK in the menu area and select Unpack... from the resulting drop down menu

Select/Go to the Caveman2Cosmos/Assets folder in the folder area. See image 1 attached

Select the the file C2C FPK file

Again select the Caveman2Cosmos/Assets in the new window and press OK.

A fuel gauge will come up and quickly indicate that it has finished. Don't be fooled it takes awhile. Wait for it to disappear. When it does the art that was in the FPK file is now in your art folder.

Do this for each of the FPK files in turn.
3) remove the FPK files from the assets folder.

4) Your loading of C2C will be much slower but you should not have black tiles any more.

Note. If you were using the alternate terrains you will need to reinstall them after doing this.​

I find deleting the contents of C:\Users\SgtSlick\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

And deleting the contents of C:\Users\SgtSlick\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

Fixes black tiles.

I find deleting the contents of C:\Users\SgtSlick\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache

And deleting the contents of C:\Users\SgtSlick\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

Fixes black tiles.

All well an good but it doesn't help us close this thread. Is what I said usable and does it do what it says it does?

Yeah doing what you said works 100% except you need to change~

1) Delete the contents of C:\.....\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
2) Deleting the contents of C:\.....\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

To be:

1) Delete the contents of C:\.....\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
2) Deleting the contents of C:\...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

Deleting cache and custom assets works for me 95% and doesn't slow down the load and is easier to do - so its worth mentioning.
Basically I get black tiles every single time I update svn, I then have to play it, quit - delete custom assets + cache and it then works fine.

Yeah doing what you said works 100% except you need to change~

1) Delete the contents of C:\.....\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
2) Deleting the contents of C:\.....\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

To be:

1) Delete the contents of C:\.....\AppData\Local\My Games\Beyond the Sword\cache
2) Deleting the contents of C:\...\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\CustomAssets

Deleting cache and custom assets works for me 95% and doesn't slow down the load and is easier to do - so its worth mentioning.
Basically I get black tiles every single time I update svn, I then have to play it, quit - delete custom assets + cache and it then works fine.

This "crap" is so weird :crazyeye::mad: When i mess with the Units.FPK, is when it happens, i have tried 1/2 of the units and made 2 FPKs , three FPKs, one just for Unique , nothing works.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom