1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

black tiles in C2C

Discussion in 'Bugs and Crashes' started by civhelp121, Jul 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. strategyonly

strategyonly C2C Supreme Commander

After that last FPK packaging there should not be ANY duplicates?? Just wrong nif or address lines is all.

2. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

There weren't any in any of the SVNs I unpacked, and the latest one (4916) didn't have any. He may have just been unlucky and got a particular SVN that didn't have an updated fpk yet (I've noticed a few new ones in the past week) or an arts folder that didn't have the deleted files removed. As fluid as the SVN is, it is likely to happen once in a while.

But the 20 minute wait for it to load is better than not playing at all...

3. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

And no duplicates with the base FPKs either ?

4. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Again, I never looked at those*. But what I'm really talking about (and I assume sgtslick is as well) is not duplicates in one fpk also in another fpk, but duplicates in the fpk and in the arts folder. I never came across duplicates while unpacking, as I do them all at the same time (to save time) and I don't know if PakBuild automatically overwrites duplicates or not. But when I then move the unpacked files to the proper folder, in the past there were duplicates.

*and the Star Trek fpks, the only ones for BTS (and in the BTS folder not their own folder) and not base Civ4, had none IIRC
    I remember now, I renamed them temporarily as a test rather than unpack them, and it made no difference so I didn't really check for duplicates. Since the Star Trek fpks were not used for anything but the Star trek mods, renaming them was a valid test. I know why the author did it that way, but it really wasn't the best decision, just a good compromise. And before anyone asks, the total size of those 4 fpks was ~400MB.

Someone more motivated than me is going to have to check that (the base Civ4 fpks) out.

5. AIAndy

AIAndy Chieftain

PakBuild will actually overwrite without asking.
    I checked, there are no duplicates between the C2C FPKs but around 1200 duplicates between the C2C FPKs and the base Civ4 FPKs.
    So maybe it is worth trying to keep those files specifically in normal folders but all others in FPKs.

6. strategyonly

Got to be careful also, i have alot of the files that have No Nif in them, they are there just for the soul purpose of Blood Squirts.

I believe it really stems from ONE FPK file, the Units one, because i tried to separate it, 10 different ways and each time it comes back with a BT:mad: But if i keep it the way it is, its fine,:crazyeye:

7. Maxima7

Maxima7 Chieftain

I don't know about that because I've been just leaving the C2C and Terrain/Terrain1 files unpacked.

8. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Chieftain

Renaming the ST FPKs is only valid if you changed the ".FPK" extension part so they are not recognized as FPK files, otherwise they will still be loaded.

If they are present with the .FPK extension they are not only loaded for the ST mod, they are always loaded. The part in front of the ".FPK" doesn't really matter. They also most likely have duplicates of things in C2C since both include content from Final Frontier.

It was done this way because the ST mod is not just one mod, it is something like 10 different mods (the "main" Star Trek, plus ST Klingon, ST Lost Era, ST Maquis, and so on using names that start with "ST" plus one that doesn't: The Eugenics Wars) and storing the same, or mostly the same, FPK files in 10 different mod Assets folders was deemed to be a pointless increase in mod size but the only way to make one set of FPK files accessible to all of them was to put them up in the BtS Assets folder so they are always loaded.

9. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Obviously.;) Unlike many here, I have extensions shown (one of the first things I do when I reinstall Windows---I can't imagine why Microsoft has them off by default, but they do lots of silly and paranoid things). That's what I meant. I agree with the rest as well, and didn't type that out as I felt I was being too verbose as it was for an asterisked aside (ie, not the ideal procedure but a good compromise to reduce mod size---oh, and it was posted above as well so I didn't want to repeat it ;)).

By renaming them, I meant renaming the extensions "old", so they did not load when starting. Since they did not load while starting, any duplicates in them are moot.

10. strategyonly

Can you do me "another" favor, just un-pack units.FPK and see if then you STILL get the BT's, thx.

11. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

I believe I did that some time ago, but it isn't a valid test. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. The only thing that works consistently for me is doing all of them. I tried the one at a time before, and frankly it takes too much of my time for something that doesn't give consistent results*. Again, someone more motivated than me is going to have to grab the ball on this one.

*especially as I archive zip all working versions I test so I don't have to re-download different SVN versions due to my crappy internet, and those zipped files have the fpks unpacked

12. strategyonly

Dont you keep a "good" copy for the sake of just not doing that (re-downloading)? Would make more sense then, IMO. Yes i know your not motivated, you have said taht enough :p:lol:

I keep like 6 copies all over the place on my PC. Each time i get a newer one i just delete the last one, and move each one separate in order to the older ones place, but of course, thats just me being careful.:rolleyes:

13. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Yes, the SVN that I update whenever I connect to the internet. But I don't export that to another folder on a regular basis I don't really have time to do that. The files I do keep as backups are all unpacked since September (the last one I have archived with the fpks packed is SVN 3564 (v26)), as I feel there is no reason to keep the fpks if they don't work for me...

I have about 3 dozen copies of various versions on DVDs.

EDIT---and it took 3 tries* and two different ISPs to post this, as an example of how crappy my internet is. Most of the time when that happens, I just don't bother to post. That is another reason why I am a poor choice to take up this project. I'll give suggestions and answer questions if able, but I won't promise to do more than that.

*before the edit, as I have edited several time now and of course the connection starts behaving after I complain about it...

14. strategyonly

Where the heck do you live??

15. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

I have internet connections that I am "leeching" from businesses across the street. So the wifi connections (in one case) keep dropping out. Though in one of the cases it is a DSL connection rather than cable and that one really sucks.

Paying for internet is not something I am going to do as I don't need the internet. Now I bet you are sorry you asked:mischief:.

16. strategyonly

No not really, but this is interesting, you must have a laptop then. Which i believe explains alot from what your saying about having so much problems. (USA or not so much?)

17. dusckr87

dusckr87 Chieftain

Bingo on both counts. But I don't really have "problems" other than the black tiles. But from what I've heard, being in the USA isn't an advantage anymore for internet connections either...which is another reason why I won't pay for it.

18. Koshling

Koshling Vorlon

Big disadvantage relative to much of developed Asia and most of Europe. Cable companies hold local monopolies in the US and prices are higher and bandwidths lower than most of the rest of the developed world as a result.

19. Praetyre

Praetyre Chieftain

You think living in America is bad? Try New Zealand. Somalia has faster Internet than this Pacific backwater. There isn't even any broadband here.

20. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Chieftain

ok so to get proper graphic colours (not the black spot) I have to turn graphics to low? does this mod have a lot of problems?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.