Blue Monkey's Bharata Varsha Bazaar

From what I know, the Harappans weren't Aryan, which (part) answers one of your questions. For Aryans, maybe you would like to add Maurya (if your mod goes that far) :)

And im using the myth of the lost continent of Lemuria, where most or part of the inhabitants of india came from. There's one or more theories that see Aryans and Dravidas as two tribes of Lemuria that were in constant wars with eachother, and when Lemuria sunk they migrated to India and took their wars with them.
Get ahold of a book called Eden in the East. A lot of libraries have it or can get it. You can skip the dna research part, unless it gains your interest. The mythological/anthropological part lays out how Lemuria was located in Sundaland, which was swallowed by the sea at the end of the last ice age. The other books I'll mention are also skimmable, and worth at least a glance.
There's the Aryan invasion theory that says the Aryans were invaders from the north, and there's the other theory thats gaining support (i think) that says the Aryans were indigenous to india and migrated out. I prefer the later one, combined with the Lemuria myth, the Aryans came from Lemuria to India, and later migrated to other areas.
The academic/scientific jury is still out. you're fine for purposes of your scenario. Another book you may be interested in is Proof of Vedic Culture's Global Existence. It's got that late-night radio talk show vibe (everything from proof that Mayans are brahmins to the atomic war that turned Australia into a desert), but there's some tasty morsels in there. The Tamil nationalist/ seperatist extremists see Lemuria as a lost homeland. Here's a link with a map of Tamil Lemuria. The "Lost City Under the Sea" myth is very popular in southern India. And apparently has some substance, as revealed, by the infamous tsunami, at Mahabalipuram .
But what about Harappa, should I make them a separate civ or combine them with the Dravidas from south India? Or were they Aryan?
There's no evidence that the Harappans came from anywhere else. I can't tell from the few artifacts I'm aware of if they could be classified as either Aryan or Dravidian. Take a look at In Search of the Cradle of Civilization (another one in many libraries) for an easy to read intro to the nature of Harappan civ and its connections to the Mesopotamian civs. If you've got room, I'd make them indigenous, and let the As and Ds roll over them.
Do I make another civ to represent the Aryans? Im thinking of Aryans as some sort of culture group, not a unique civ, should I think of the Dravidas in the same matter? ...What about names for civs to represent the two "cultures"? Aryan and Dravidian
Basically, any of the northern Indian civs (Mauryans, Rajputs, etc.), or even the western nomadic civs (Sarmatians, Kushans, Pashtuns, etc.) would fall under the "Aryan" label. A generic label for Dravidian would be "Tamil", and that could be subdivided into any of the southern Indian civs (Chera, Chola, etc.). If you decide on a specific number I can help you pick names.

Thanks for the info! I'll check it out more carefully in the weekend with time and hopefully figure out what to do.
I too had thought of making Harappa an independent civ but as you said I may have number of civs limitation problem :)

*off to bed to watch some tv ;)...

Would this pass as an indian watchtower?
Yes. Something in me sees it as strongly Mughal, but Mughal is definitely Indian.

Edit: I've looked back at the galleries I posted, and I think that my impression is mostly because of the dome, the white/blue combination, and the clean lines overall. Indian architecture characteristically has layers and layers, and florid decorations. Both the watchtower images I posted have more of a "stack of fat pancakes" look than a simple dome. And the walls need something else. Maybe if the lines in the texture were vertical rather than horizontal, and very close together, would better simulate the ribbing. Sandstone is the predominant building stone (hue: yellow to ruddy).

I don't know how much detail would show at civ-scale. My suggestions are just that; I don't intend anything negative at all. I'm happy that you and others are making Indian buildings of any kind.

This is Sparta.
I guess that's a "300" reference? If it's not, in good Marx Bros. fashion, a non sequitur then I don't get it.

viz the watch tower: were any of my comments helpful?

"[FONT=Courier, Courier New] But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate,
So let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."[/FONT]

It was a 300 reference, yes, in the image you see the elephant trainer just outside Sparta, which makes sense since from the movie it is known that spartans killed elephants.

The watchtower is not really progressing. I may stop making graphics alltogether i think.

It was a 300 reference ...from the movie it is known that spartans killed elephants.
Now that I know it has elephants in it, I'll have to move it up in my netflix queue.

The watchtower is not really progressing. I may stop making graphics alltogether i think.
I hope you don't disappear. Take a break, but don't stop altogether.

Blue Monkey said:
If they don't want to, I know one of our architect/builders can do at least as well for C3C.

If you can tell me the authentic Indian name, consider it added to my to-do list. :D

If you can tell me the authentic Indian name, consider it added to my to-do list.
Which of the 1,600 mother tongues spoken in south Asia today would you accept as “authentic Indian”? Since we’re talking about a style of building used 500 - 1000 years or longer ago, maybe we need to include all the no longer extant languages as well. :hmm:

Or perhaps you meant to limit my choices to one of the 24 current languages spoken by at least a million persons in the subcontinent? Or maybe just the 22 regional languages officially recognized by the Indian constitution: Assamese, Bengali, Bodo, Dogri, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Malayalam, Meitei, Marathi, Nepali, Oriya, Punjabi, Sanskrit, Santhali, Sindhi, Tamil, Telugu and Urdu? :undecide:

Does it need to be written in Devanagari? What if the word is in Telugu or Urdu (it would be an insult to many native speakers of those languages use Devanagari rather than their own alphabets)? :dunno: Or is an English/Roman transliteration “authentic” enough, since I doubt any of us are using a Prakrit version of C3C? ;)

On another point, who have you picked out able to speak and read all of those languages/alphabets, who will objectively judge whether or not I have given you an “authentic Indian” name? :p

I assume you would refuse to accept the Kota Maidanam inside Palakkad Fort as an “authentic Indian name” since it is only an open exercise field, although reputedly it was formerly used as an elephant stable. I doubt too that you have found an “authentic Indian” name for the elephant stable in the Royal Center at Hampi (in Vijayanagara), as I couldn’t in over 2 hours of dedicated research on-line. Perhaps Mahapaksasala - Sanskrit for “great elephant stable” would be suitable if you’re looking to use it as a model for a GW or SW. :)

As a generic name, I’m sure you’d reject Hastipabandha -that’s only a stockade used in capturing and breaking wild elephants, not a proper stable. Is Hastipasala, a widely used word in classical Sanskrit acceptable? Or perhaps you’d prefer Pilkhana - the word used currently, according to Practical Elephant Management: A Handbook for Mahouts put out by the Elephant Welfare Association. :D

When you concede that I’ve met your little challenge, I’ll expect as much attention to authenticity on your part as I’ve devoted. I’ll be looking forward to something far more detailed and extensively ornate than that abbreviated, lo-rez CIV version (no offense to the creator, your hands were tied behind your back).

:coffee:

Actually, I was looking for a more common name. But maybe something in Sanskrit would be nice. Perhaps I'll go with "Mahapaksasala."

Actually, I was looking for a more common name. But maybe something in Sanskrit would be nice. Perhaps I'll go with "Mahapaksasala."
Maha- means "great" or "foremost" implying that the named thing is exceptional. And "Hastipasala" is actually the most common generic name for an elephant stable in Sanskrit. "Hastipa" is one name for an elephant-handler or mahout and "-sala" is a type of building, often used to refer to animal enclosures like stables or barns. If by common you mean modern (Sanskrit is as common as Latin - to a Roman), then Pilkhana is the word you're looking for.

You beat me to the punch with your post by the way. I was about to add a postscript claiming a victory sufficient to earn both a wonder (Mahapaksasala) and a civic improvement (Hastipasala). But, in the immortal words of Plotinus' favorite code enforcer, "I let you live!"

Well, I do have room for a 3rd civ in India/Pakistan, so Harappa is in, as is Maurya and Tamil.

Please correct me, im not sure i know the correct names for the following:

Civ Name: Maurya / Tamil
Noun: Mauryans / Tamil
Adjective: Mauryan / Tamil

Also, im using Ashoka as the Mauryan king (of course) and Pandaia as the Tamil queen, if you have a better choice let me know.

Ok, I'll use Civarmy's Harappan leaderhead along with the names he has posted. Can anyone help with my previous question a few posts above?

Top Bottom