Bonuses for Techs, Civics, and FFs

Meditations on reseach and technologies.

Researching in M:C is extremely easy. Nothing prevents you from founding as many monasteries as you can defend and just with the food in the central plot feed the two researchers producing candles.

This should be slowed a little more; or made more game-outcomes related:

Ideas:
Researching chambers in monasteries not given for free.
Monasteries only be founded by religious great people. (generated through crosses)
[Tougher] Tinker houses be founded by Great Inventors (generated through school books or through candles)
Research cost money.
Limit the number of monasteries to the number of cities

These are all good ideas, and orlanths too. Already there is a feature where you can require other yields, and different ones also, depending on the Tech. So, perhaps we can add that back into the mix.

Could we also make founding a monastery city cost money? So that it represents a 'patronage' from the kingdom to the church?

Once established monasteries were pretty self sufficient, producing goods to pay their own way.

While I am not particularly fond of the idea, we could add a gold cost. I think founding settlements is a Mission and you may can add a gold cost to missions already, not sure. I know you can to Builds, like build roads cost gold.

Here is one idea on FF effects... I am wanting to expand the Civics at some point, adding a military category at the least, but for FFs some could have a special Civic choice that is unlocked only if you have this FF. Like Pope Urban could add a special Crusader Civic choice. These special Civics could been free to change to, and don't cause anarchy.

This would be a fun addition for the WH mod as well as you can add civics for all kinds of influential characters through time. These FFs could have their own Civic category and you can only have one Special Civic up at one time.

Hmm, that is interesting, I definately like the idea of them being a seperate catagory, so you can only use 1 at a time.

I was thinking they would need to either have a really minimal positive for a very specific use (lest they be overpowered and catapult a civ to the lead) or they come with a heavy positive (again very specific) and a heavy negative to balance it. So something like 'Naval Doctrine' that gives a strength and production boost to ships, but has the opposite effect on land troops.

So to really make use of the FF Civic, you have to really have a specific goal and play to their strength, kind of representing them becoming a dominant player in your government.

I am wondering if civic codex, instead of having +6ish gold to the manor court (or whatever the building is I forget) should have instead something like +100-1000% gold increase for that building, so a brilliant dignatary with codex could produce something like 60-120 gold per turn.. that would make that a real tempting choice.

Coming off manorial is always a really hard choice for me, you have to really have your food experts sorted or it gets real tricky! Surfs are also really good for this.

I am wondering if civic codex, instead of having +6ish gold to the manor court (or whatever the building is I forget) should have instead something like +100-1000% gold increase for that building, so a brilliant dignatary with codex could produce something like 60-120 gold per turn.. that would make that a real tempting choice.

Coming off manorial is always a really hard choice for me, you have to really have your food experts sorted or it gets real tricky! Surfs are also really good for this.

Well, I have plans to Change what the courts do. We should keep it to each SpecialBuildingType producing a different Yield. And since we already have Markets producing Gold I was going to change Courts. Perhaps they just add a bonus to other Productions if we don't make them produce a new Yield.

Something interesting jsut happened...

I reverted from serfdom to tribalism! What causes that? Lack of fealty?

Hmm, that shouldn't happen, you got a save where it happens? The only thing that should auto change your Civics is agreeing to the Pope's demands, I think anyway.

I just discovered that even though longitude was discovered much earlier it wasn't until the 18th century that it was capable to be used for voyages at sea. So, Longitude shouldn't be associated with any sea abilities or discoveries in M:C.

Longitude was first efficiently measurable at sea by John Harrison.

Top Bottom