Booga games diar..rhea

Haven'y decided on ending yet. But environmentalism with coprs works on lower levels. At the moment I have turbo temples. AP, UoS and SM done as golden age begins. They're like mini corps. One thing I don't have is alphabet. That's a mere prerequisite for what printing press? Oxford doesn't require it. Oracle for currency is pretty good. So are the GP points to get the shrine out faster. And I have 50 workers. 14 cities. 50 workers. With the Hagia Sophia they are faster fast workers. Lots of waterwheels and windmills up. Unfortunately I have Taj pre-chopped. I could have delayed that some as replaceable parts is better than nationalism now since the 2nd golden age isn't needed quite this fast.

You can be proud too. I couldn't get Darius to do this on settler to beat your technique. Asoka as space contender surprised me. Tech costs on settler might be too cheap for even Asoka. As there is empire setup time to consider.

I'm not using windmills, I'm mining.
We use totally different strategy and maps.
I rely on Sushi and Mining Co. I had less than 20 workers, and they were enough for my 17-18 cities.
I'd like to hear when you actually Launch.

Somewhere ~turn 387. Environmentalism. Hm. I forget whether Mining Inc. comes first or not. I'm going Cereal Mills. I think the path was to lib something which I forgot. Thinking. Got to get to work. No Sushi! No culture! I'm at 70% of dom limit which is 72%. Might have to gift a city.

Okay. Mining Inc it is. It was a choice between Cereal or Mining first. Environmentalism comes later.

Turn 443. Apollo almost done. 15 turns before a city must be gifted to avoid dom limit. Tech is slower than expected. 50 workers is nuts at this pace. Last golden age will expire before ship construction begins in earnest. Still there is lumber available.

I'm just waiting for an end date ;)
Then, I may have a target for my games.

Grand plan outlook :
I finally know what terrain I'm looking for in a start, and I'll want to try different strategies and their results -
  • Without early slavery (get from Musa on Alphabet)
  • Early slavery (preferably from a random hut in a game)
  • Early growth - build irrigation and see how the game plays with large cities (but with large maintenance)
  • Fast expansion - build more settlers than I'm used to, as early as I can.
  • Add religious wonders at the end - This may boost the end part, but I'm not sure they're worth the effort as non industrious..
When I know what is best to use and do a good game with Pacal, I'll also try doing something similar with Inca.

Religious wonders may not be that good. But I have beaten Darius with them on a HoF slot or two.

More cities. The settler map here long ago was a duel map with 18 civs. It was a matter of capturing 16 others by turn 35. Next turn. Next turn. Launch ship around 600 BC.

Some slots are easy. Some have a decent or excellent record.
Duel map with 18 civs is not HoF :rolleyes: , it's just messing around :cool:

True. But at that level and that fast a pace, a fourth golden age was mostly wasted. However the tech tree has enough GPS for two golden ages and a corporation. It is sufficient to produce a GP for the other corporation. A scientist for a academy is practically optional.

Turn 485 launch date. That's a turn 515 win date. Is that 1075 AD?

3rd golden age ended after spread of Cereal Mills. 4th golden age started after teching factories/thrusters/communism about 20 turns later. Remaining buildings were built in 12-15 turns then Apollo. Last golden age ended around turn 455. Last 30 turns prior to launch were not spent in a golden age. There was enough lumber to reduce turns on the 4 big ticket items considerably.

Launch looks like about 150 turns after Oxford. That's the benchmark I was looking for. My path through corps was horrid. But not fatal. GPF farm city was gifted to Justinian after building a thruster. It was his city originally. Curiously he spawned a scientist there before I launched ...

It is mildly interesting to try this (with improved strategy) on settler level. But I'm more interested in trying for a BC win on a large chieftain or huge warlord map.

Long live Asoka.

Crap. That's a serious record. 55 turns I have to shave.
I think I'll have to look at ways to expand early, and take a look at highlands at some point.

Good job.

Rain forest is pretty good too. With large or huge maps the extra lumber on highlands is hard to turn down.

Ok.

I'm going to first test my current strategy to the extreme like I planned to. On Floodplains.
I can shave another 20 turns or so I think. This is a "Fast Oxford" strategy.

Then, I'll do a completely different start aiming at fast expansion first.
To do that, I'll need to choose an Organized leader. Time will tell! :crazyeye:

Thanks.
I'm sure my ending is really good.

My start needs.. restructuring. I have a few paths to try.
It will take a few months to come up with a strategy I'll want to repeat.

The single most important thing I didn't do enough is chopping.
I saved it for later parts, where I should have abused wood from the start, and chop at math.

I'll check out the logs of your submitted game too ;)
Who knows perhaps my epitaph will say "PhD in Civ4 strategy, finally at rest"

Rumors of a need for an epitaph are greatly exaggerated. Meanwhile I am experimenting with a strategy where Oxford might go up before getting an academy. Call me skeptical.

Ok.

Did a 4th game , 1320 AD space victory.
I'm not going to write a lot -
Experienced capital on flood plains, good national city, too small a continent, not enough wood.
The whole start should be wood-oriented.

I did get Math from a hut on a nearby island and Astronomy on time, but both sushi and mining were not great.
Coupled with low number of good cities on my mainland, after being ahead by 20 turns midgame, the late game was lame, even with GAs.
I've submitted of course ;)

I'm really improving on many fronts from game to game, so no leader or map change yet.
I want to exploit my current plan and see where I get. I'll learn while playing :)

Note : my city on Ice did not grow from 1 to 2 with Hanging Gardens. A bug? A feature? Superman?

@boogaboo
You might want to look at Imperialistic/Expansive. Joao, perhaps? On Deity/Immortal I hardly ever build workers and about 80% of my cies a settled by AI. It must be a horrible pain to build it all by yourself, so you might really appreciate the bonuses to both settlers and workers, and granary at half its normal cost is a very good thing.
But then Organized is a great trait for Space too, so I went for Imperialistic/Organized.

City on ice probably grew to pop two and then immediately starved back down.

I think you're right and I haven't checked on time! :O

On Deity/Immortal I hardly ever build workers and about 80% of my cities a settled by AI. It must be a horrible pain to build it all by yourself

On higher levels it's true, but on Noble and Duel, one AI is dead on start, and the other AI build a second city only at turn 100+ , so planning on taking his cities is not the way to go here I think.

The fact he will take some space (from the domination limit perspective) is good, and he (Musa) also supplies me with some sciences - some starting techs, Monotheism, Monarchy, ... ending with Theology and Divine Right which I don't research.
I get money, techs, and some resources from him. It's good to have him... in the corner of the continent I push him to :)

Top Bottom