BOTM 102 -- Final Spoiler

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 101 - Hannibal and finance - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?
Did you acheive your intended victory, switch to something else, or like me do you just wing it and end in the quickest way real life time once you've totally screwed up?

How many wonders did you build? How many will it take to win the Most Wonderful Game Award?:D

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 101 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

First BOTM, definitely an enjoyable experience. Got an 1800s cultural victory, my slowest cultural win so far and my slowest non-space victory. It was a surprisingly peaceful game too, with no wars ever breaking out even with Ragnar staying with Judaism most of the game while everyone else was Buddhist. Even with my Warrior garrisons in the 1800s (I know I know, stupid idea :undecide:) only a couple AIs ever considered going after me, and a quick change or gift of gold kept me safe. Don't remember how many wonders I built and I can't access save to check, but I'm 100% confident it's not enough for the special award.

One thing I learned from the game, however: it's a good feeling when the AI starts a vote to assign a foreign city to you when it has potential to flip :D

First BOTM, definitely an enjoyable experience. Got an 1800s cultural victory, my slowest cultural win so far and my slowest non-space victory. It was a surprisingly peaceful game too, with no wars ever breaking out even with Ragnar staying with Judaism most of the game while everyone else was Buddhist. Even with my Warrior garrisons in the 1800s (I know I know, stupid idea :undecide:) only a couple AIs ever considered going after me, and a quick change or gift of gold kept me safe. Don't remember how many wonders I built and I can't access save to check, but I'm 100% confident it's not enough for the special award.

One thing I learned from the game, however: it's a good feeling when the AI starts a vote to assign a foreign city to you when it has potential to flip :D

Welcome to the BOTM's!
Congrats on your victory, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Don't worry about the Wonders tally, I'll make sure to check the submissions and publish the list when the game is over.

You get the "First to submit and report in the Final Spoiler Thread" award, so Good Job! :goodjob:

Since i dont have too much time for long/micro games lately and my right hand in a cast ;/ so i dont play civ too much.
But i love Hannibal so just had to go for this 1, and i can play Carthage on Monarch with only 1 hand xD.
Got my conquest in 580AD not too bad considering no micro xD.
Could be a lot faster but some wierd things happends ..like did you ever saw ai moveing hes troops from s8 second-last city to s1 city in middle of nowhere ... insane.
Ragnar triked me like this so i couldnt cap him xDDD.

Anyway great map i had a lot of fun playing it .

Domination in 900AD.

Mistakenly thought that the wonder-requirement was about wonders per turn (however that's calculated exactly) so made an effort to build as many of them as possible while the game lasted, but now I see it's just about most wonders in total, so surely it was rather pointless to chase them all if not going for space. Might've built just more units instead if I'd known better. :mischief::p

Anyway, got 19 wonders built in the 155 turns that took my game, 15 of which in my glorious capital (GW, SH, Mids, Oracle, MoM, GLib, ToA, HG, SoZ, Sistine, Shwedagon, Hagia Sofia, AP, Taj, Chichen Itza) and also got the National Epic there. Amsterdam got Parthenon, Notre Dame and Angkor, while Hadrumetum rushed the UoS on the last turn. Captured the Colossus in London and only missed out on GLH which was in Korean hands. Surely was fun to be chasing wonders like a noob. :D

Anyway, conquered the Dutch in the BCs, followed by Persians and English in the ADs. Took a big chunk of the Mayans before vassaling them and then was close enough to the domination limit to fill in some empty spots and some islands to the east and south for the win.

Fun game, thanks.

I managed a Culture victory in 1908. I took the advice from the announcement thread and settled Carthage 1W of the Settler starting position on the PH Marble. Went Masonry-
BW-Agriculture and Worker-Warrior-Great Wall to get the Barb problem mostly solved. First neighbour met was Willem, then Mansa, Elizabeth, Pacal, Darius, Ragnar and Wang Kon.
Utica was founded 1S 3E of Carthage on the PH Warrior starting position. Hadrumetum was then founded 5W 3N of Carthage, close to the Korean city of Pyongyang which resulted
in a culture war of the Horse tile. Pyongyang initially grabbed the Horses, but my superior culture meant that it flipped to me just four turns after losing control of the
other Horse tile, the one west of the Dutch Empire. I had founded Hippo on that tile in 500 BC, but those bastards revolted and joined the Dutch Empire in 100 BC, a mere 16
turns later! Argh!

Anyway, time progressed peacefully until 640 AD when Wang Kon didn't want to share his secret of Philosophy. Bad move, for which he had to pay with blood. Pyongyang was
attacked in 660 with Catapults, Numidian Cavalry, Axes and a Swordsman. Wonsan was attacked and liberated in 920, and in 1180 Seoul was captured. After that Wang Kon, who
still had two cities on the mainland and one on the island to the south, peacevassaled to Mansa, and Mansa declared war! Mansa was a bit of a nuisance as he was slightly
ahead in tech but I managed to fend off most of his attacks, whilst taking over the remaining two Korean cities by 1410, one of which was the Taoist Holy City (Nampo). Peace
with the two was made in 1410 and Wang became my vassal instead - with a single city on the island to the south. Although, there was another city on that island, inhabited by
people who were in no mood for negotiations...

It was at this time I decided to try to go for a Culture victory, as I had wonders in Carthage (GW, GL), Utica (Mids, Statue of Zeus, Spiral Minaret) and Hadrumetum
(Parthenon, Mausoleum of Massulos, Sistine Chapel) and Judaism (SR), Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and Christianity all spread in my lands. In 1470 the remaining Korean city
Cheju was captured by the neigbours who weren't in talking mode, and the Korean Civ was destroyed! I happened to have a Galleon with a Numidian Cavalry onboard in the
neigbourhood, and the amphibian attack was at 99% made it an easy liberation of the former Koreans.

Time passed on and life progressed, Mansa was ahead in tech and suddenly started to build a strong army, which he thankfully directed at Willem. Willem lost The Hague and
Amsterdam before peacevassaling to Mansa, and then Hippo (!) became the Dutch capital. For me it was a case of building culture-enhancing buildings in my 3 leading cultural
cities and still having an army strong enough so nobody would want to attack me. Creative Constructions was founded in Kerkouane in 1775, where Wall Street was being built.
Incorporating that into my three cities, who by then all had triple cathedrals, gave a big boost to the culture output. In 1882, Sid's Sushi Corp was founded in Kerkouane,
and it was quickly spread to the key cities. Late in the game Mansa and Willem declared war on Ragnar and Pacal (who had a Defensive Pact). Mansa managed to capture a Viking
city, whilst Willem lost Nijmegen to Pacal. London was actually the first city to achieve Legendary culture in 1884. Hadrumetum achieved it all by itself in 1905 and Carthage
and Utica followed in 1907, thanks to Great Works of some Great Artists.

This was a fun game, and it was the first time I went for a Culture victory. 13 Wonders, in addition to the ones above were Eiffel Tower and Hollywood in Carthage, Broadway in Utica, Rock N Roll in Hadrumetum and Cristo Redentor in Kerkouane.

I finished with a Space victory in 1856.

I counted 22 Wonders built in the end, which surprisingly enough puts me in the lead for the moment. I expect at least 25 Wonders will be required to win. I lost two late game wonders to Liz, and that just shouldn't happen.

Anyway, thanks for the sweet map. I've never had a production city quite like Carthage. It was pretty awesome to be doing over 900 hammers on the SS Engines.

Is it just me or did it seems more like a small map than a standard one? I only got 5 cities built before other civs were encroaching from all sides. It's usually at least 6-8 before that happens.

I figured I would play for the Wonder prize and see if I could get a Cow along the way. I considered going all the way for a Time victory, but I realized that RL was not going to give me that much time, so I finished the last wonder and built a spaceship as quickly as possible.

I went for the mapmaker award, I think I did quite okay. Ended with a 1914 AD Space Race. I didn't conquer anything and only focussed on building up my two wonder cities.

I played this to a rather undecisive 1260 AD Domination.
I was sort of aiming for a diplo win but got too much population for that and didn't want to gift away cities and backtrack into it.
Ended up capitulating Elizabeth for the win.
Before that, killed Willem in the BCs, Pacal in the early ADs and finally Ragnar.
We were left a crew of friendly Mansa, Darius, Elizabeth and Wang.

Stats and wonder screens :
Spoiler :

Missed 3 early wonders (Angkor Wat from the English) and triggered the win too early to complete all of the Electricity, Radio, Mass Media ones.

The mainland :
Spoiler :

I think I upped my workforce a little late in this game and could have gotten a better development by delaying infrastructure more, in favour of earlier workers. This is something I'll watch in the future.
The jungle belt was huge. Once is not usual, the Hagia Sophia has probably been (one of) my most useful wonders.

It was a fun game, thanks for putting it up.
In retrospect, I liked the wonder award, but I agree with Nocho that a wonder/turn requirement would have been more motivating or could have been a more interesting twist (--> personal opinion).

I just went for all out war! :lol:
Had some truble with barbs early on, and one pesky archer from william. When i got Elephants and catas it just rolled over the entire map. And when I eventually got horses that just speed things along.

Also I learned for the hundred time that you need a ton of workers.. was worker starved the entire game :lol:

In the end i got a domination victory at 1200 AD, fun map! Like these Botm series :)

Oh dear ... I completely screwed up the submission dates. Just finished it today - 1814AD space win for 150K score - only to discover when I tried to submit that the deadline has was 2 days ago.

Oooops!

Top Bottom