[BTS] BOTM 124 - First Spoiler to 1AD

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 124 - First Spoiler to 1 AD

Please do not discuss politics in this thread.

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD!

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 124, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD. (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Fun game this far! As soon as I found out England was connected to the continent, decided to get rid of them as soon as I could, as London's culture took away a lot of our attractive northern lands. Self-teched HBR after the main worker techs and started producing HAs from 1720BC onwards. With them I got rid of the English. At some stage Fred declared on me, so I got Hamburg but unfortunately was some units short for Berlin, so left him at that. At 1AD looking to annex the one city state of Greece soon to my empire. Portugal should be acquired too and then I'll see. 12 cities, 82 pop, tech 334 bpt at 100%, about 220 sustainable.

All victory conditions enabled. Let me see. Time, conquest, cultural, space, diplomatic. Feels like something is missing.

Interesting game, even though domination is disabled and the map doesn't wrap. I spend the early game filling in every corner of my territory with six cities. Then, seeing that Alexander appeared to be playing a one-city challenge, I captured Athens and eliminated Alex from the game in 125 BC. There's nothing else of note to report by 1 AD.

Did nobody notice the medic usefulness of your corp exec in the bc years??

This was a very clever map - I was impressed. It became very obvious within the first few turns that we were located in Europe, with civs in roughly their real-world locations, but the abstract nature of the map made it a pleasure to explore.

I settled SE to get the extra production from the hills, forgetting the move away from the deer meant slightly slower worker production. Ooops! But made up for when the iron appeared later on. It was obvious early on that we were going to be very, very, boxed in, and coupled with the high-commerce start, I decided to beeline for catapults before fighting for some breathing space. I probably should've gone for England first because the Stonehenge-powered English culture was ruinous, but it was such a slow walk to his capital that I chickened out, and focused on the South first, where I could see happiness resources. As at 1AD, I've destroyed Portugal and Greece, and am just heading into Germany. Once Germany is out of the way, I'll deal with England. Not sure why Alex has only built one city - seems a bit out of character for him but I see other people are reporting the same thing.

Anyway here's my map at 1AD. Sustainable science is 50bpt, but I'm running zero science while waiting for an academy. Researched to iron working/calendar/construction/currency.

And yes, I carefully checked all the info on opening the map, and noticed the exec was a supermedic. Very useful for warring!

Attachments

• botm124-1ad.jpg
    botm124-1ad.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 90
After a somewhat aimless start, I have decided to pursue Conquest. I started by founding a few cities and building Chariots, and was surprised at how weak the AI cities tended to be. As of 1AD I have 17 cities. Germany, Portugal, and Greece are dead, Arabia capitulated, and Egypt can be crushed at will (just one city with an Archer and Chariot to take at will). The oddities of the game played a relatively small role since I was mostly warring and not really thinking very hard about how useful pre-founded corporations might be in a long game. I noticed the exec had Medic III right away, which was much more useful then the corporation would be with no headquarters to balance costs. Of course English culture was annoying for many centuries and capturing the Great Library was nice.

Germany looked reasonably well defended in their hilltop capital, so I decided to attack Portugal first. When my stack of Chariots rolled up to Lisbon in 1840BC they still had Warriors in their capital. Lisbon was only Portuguese city and I kept it. In 1560BC I started hitting Germany with the now larger stack of Chariots. The flatland cities were easy prey, but the hilltop capital required a pause to tech to Horse Archers,

In the meantime, my Workers were building roads over the mountains to Greece and I was getting some Galleys ready. When I got visibility on Athens they had 1 Archer / 1 Warrior in the capital. Double promoted Horse Archers did not have trouble there - talk about over-preparing. Athens was their only city in 1000BC, and I kept it as well.

In 850BC, a small force crossed south into Africa and made quick work of Egypt, capturing the Great Library which threw off two GS (settled one and used one for a Golden Age). I left Hatty with one city at the very south so my troops could shift east.

I captured the high-culture city of Jerusalem from the barbs, and then started against Mehmed in 650BC. This assault ended up stalling out against Istanbul due to the difficulty of the river crossing assault on a hilltop city.

In 400BC I declared my least successful war, against England. Up to 1AD this has consisted of slowly marching stacks of Horse Archers across the land bridge only to fall 1-2 units short each time I assault London. I’ve burned some minor cities but it might take a Spy and some ferried in reinforcements to finally capture London.

In 250BC, I quickly sacked two Arab cities after bypassing Ottoman lands with Galleys and got Saladin to capitulate (discovered Feudalism two turns before the attack).

At 25BC, I captured Istanbul with an attack from two sides using the leftover units from the Arabian war and a fresh stack of Horse Archers.

The only infrastructure I have bothered with are Granaries and Barracks, with a couple Libraries in the core. The Great Lighthouse was built in my second city and has provided enough commerce to keep expanding. Most cities just grow and double-whip Horse Archers all day. I’ve mostly avoided trading other than to sell early techs to backward AIs for gold, as I don’t want anyone reaching Longbows soon. My plan in to tech up to Knights and hope that once the Horse Archers stall out I can upgrade them all and finish the game.

Top Bottom