BOTM 13 Final Spoiler - Game Submitted or Abandoned

I think you're right about early aggression wins in an all war game. I had a look at that 500 BC save and can see that that is the way to go. Once you have the whole continent you can build at your own pace at all the best spots. You could go for any type of victory. You might even be able to pull off a culture win before having to deal with the Dutch. Sometimes psychopaths win :)

I think you're right about early aggression wins in an all war game. I had a look at that 500 BC save and can see that that is the way to go. Once you have the whole continent you can build at your own pace at all the best spots. You could go for any type of victory. You might even be able to pull off a culture win before having to deal with the Dutch. Sometimes psychopaths win :)

Meeting Dutch is only needed to win by conquest. Domination, culture and space colonie can be done without meeting the dutch. Well......may need to go and send the dutch to the stoneage just to make sure they wont develop too much and send tanks and mechs accross the narrow seas.

There's no doubt in my mind this was one of the best-designed maps I've seen in a long while. It obviously took some time and careful planning. Kudos to DS!
Since it was all-war it clearly needed a much more aggressive strategy than a normal game. Once the continent is cleared you could build the "perfect" cities wherever you wanted with little fear of attack.

Overall a great combination: all-war then all-building.

Domination 950 AD.

I guess I owe a spoiler now that I manged to grab the fastest dom award :crazyeye:.

This was my first BtS game and I made many mistakes because I was unaware of the differences between BtS and vanilla CIV:

• The AI have fewer units in the early game. I read in the pregame discussion that archer rush was an option (and clearly the best option) but I ignored this.
  • Cities on other land masses are now very expensive. Had to raze Thebes and The Henge when it was captured to keep expenses under control.
  • Building science is 3 times stronger in BtS!! I only teched to IW and Caste because I never built many beakers.

Game went as follows (from memory):

Moved settler to warrior hill. When I saw more coast to the west I concluded that I was on an island and for that purpose I needed a coastal capital. I finally decided to move further west and settle between the farm animals on the west coast. When culture expanded I saw the copper on the main land and decided to build a city there and attack with axes. First victim was Elisabeth and my axes could easily defeat her warriors. I also took an Ethiopian city built on horses but the Ethiopian capital was defended by 4 archers when I got there (That's why archer rush was better!) and I had to leave it alone (it was also on a hill!). Put an axe outside to halt the development. Now I turned my attention to Hatty and eliminated her with axes, charriots and swords. I wasn't able to keep any of the Egyptian cities because maintenance was too high. I now realized that I had to move the capital and try to stabilize economy. A new Palace was built in York and the GLH chopped in London. Meanwhile I was on the attack against Pascal moving swords up there in galleys. He was defeated fairly easily and I kept a couple of cities. Toku was much harder because he had been left alone while I was dealing with the others. Seen in retrospect it might have payed off to send a pillaging crew to his lands a bit sooner. By now I was certain that the last civ was out of reach until Astro and since my tech rate was quite bad I decided that Domination was my only option for getting a decent result. With this in mind I teched to CoL with the intention of using caste system to get fast border expansions in new cities. I also saved up some money to pay for a lot of maintenance and I got two GA's for culture bombing. So while I was finishing Tokus last cities (and the Ethiopian capital!) my own cities were building 30 settlers. The settlers were spread out over the map, two of the new cities were culture bombed and the rest hired an artist as soon as they were founded. A few turns later Domination was achieved.

Not really a good game but I learned a lot and was lucky that none of my competitors bothered with the settler spamming so this actually gave me the fastest domination :D.

Top Bottom