[BTS] BOTM 165 Peter First Spoiler to 1AD

Deckhand

Procrastination at its finest
GOTM Staff
BOTM 165: Prince Peter the Grinch

Why is Peter a Grinch?
Use this thread to post complaints about BOTM 165.

What happened in your game, up to 1AD!

How did you do in the BC years?

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 165, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry
Posting Restrictions

• Please do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Please do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Please do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Last edited:
Thanks alot for this map!
The isolation and the barren ice/tundra-ridden continent, paired with barbarian annoyances and lovely gold/silver which one wasn't allowed to touch really got meinto RP-mood. :)

In the BC years, I expanded rapidly very rapidly, with little or no infrastructure only settlers and workers.
700BC or so, buffy started to tell me that I was above the population dom-limit, which was funny. Apparantly the AIs are struggling?
A barb spear appeared at T57 (1720BC) but behaved and stayed outside cultural borders for what seemed like an eternity.

Empire overview 1AD:
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0024.JPG

Civ4ScreenShot0023.JPG

After the essential workertechs, I went for CoL before alfa/math since I had no libraries what so ever.
Teched monarchy to get some happines, since I decided to get into a really grumpy grinch mood by depriving myself of gold and silver.
Founded confu and later tao with philo-bulb.
Plan to bulb astro and load boats full of cuirs and ruin the christmas for EVERYBODY.

LOL
Glad you are having fun with it.

I wanted to give the AIs the same religion so they are one big love fest when you meet them. But I didn't do anything like that.

Wait, who is the Grinch here? Peter or Deck?

I played a bit past this date, but up to this point I had settled like 7 or 8 cities. Really not much to settle really. Krikav did some nice squeezing in of helper cities. Some similar cities but I settled the Rostov spot (horse,fish) first for barbs.

Barbs not too much of a problem. Kept kinda pushing my busters out when I could (scout. chariots, conf mish). A wave of axes started popping up from way West, but my chariots dispatched of them with no problem. Spears would have been another story.

Oracled CS and then shot for Optics. Had not met anyone by this point.

Ignored Monarchy. Plenty of happiness. Will make casual attempt at Mids..if I get I get, if I don't I don't.

Not really sure what I want to do here. Land is crappy but teching decent. Probably just kill stuff.

Probably Lib astro instead of bulbing it.

Surely a good exercise in optimizing the lands, this one!

After the scout revealed coast to the east, I settled 1E rather than 2E as planned. I went relatively soon for the GLH in my second city, to the north next to sheep. Together with a forge engineer that gave me a low-odds GE, which I used to hurry the Mids. Colossus should be done in a couple of turns. When I started to think of the Oracle it was already gone, so no fancy slings this time. Just 7 cities, partly because of an annoying barb city in the only good spot due west at crab/sheep/bronze. Didn't bother with alpha, but at least got currency to maintain a somewhat decent tech pace. The gold lake is allright with a lighthouse using it from St Petersburg, 3f4g once Colossus is built.

Played to finish and await the game completed thread. :)
It was at the top of my Do List for today. So, instead I've been procrastinating ... :lol:

ok, done; now back to procrastinating the rest of my list :wallbash:

Deckhand - you weren't joking when you said the evil mapmaker was back, were you! Aside from the unusable water-gold there's a slight matter of our being confined to a small fertile patch just about big enough for 5 cities. Not only that, but the tile that in the starting screenshot looked best for settling would to my mind have been a bit of a disaster with coast just a tile away. Luckily I scouted that way first and saw the danger. Ended up settling E-NE, which took 2 turns to get to but is quite a decent capital and is coastal. 2nd city by the fish and horses and built the great lighthouse there. 3rd city to get the gold and silver. I was really lucky and managed to Oracle CS about 650 BC (to be honest, I probably wouldn't have tried if I'd noticed the date, but I didn't notice how late it was and it paid off anyway.)

At 1AD I have 5 cities, which uses up the fertile land and a few ice tiles to boot. I can see some semi-fertile land with horsies further West so maybe I'll get another city there, but it doesn't so far look like there's much food for one. Since there's been no contact with any AIs I'm guessing we're isolated, though I don't yet know what's beyond the horses to the West. I had some trouble with barb spearmen :)eek:) which slowed exploring a little. On the up side, research isn't looking too bad - 123bpt at 100% which I can sustain for about another 5 turns before gold runs out, then it'll be 86 bpt at 70%. Got an academy in the capital, and a great merchant, which I'm holding back until I meet an AI. Researched to Civil Service/Calendar/Iron Working and 2 turns from monarchy. I guess, assuming there's nothing delightful to the West, it'll be a question of getting astronomy as quickly as possible from here.

botm165-1ad.jpg

Also oracled CS and have only 5 cities as all went to research for the slingshot. Those barb spears was scary so took a detour to archery in between.

DynamicSpirit, I also built a channel to that fish near Novgorod.:mischief:

I managed to orphan that whale :cry:

Last edited:
Also oracled CS and have only 5 cities as all went to research for the slingshot. Those barb spears was scary so took a detour to archery in between.

DynamicSpirit, I also built a channel to that fish near Novgorod.:mischief:

I managed to orphan that whale :cry:

Ha ha, that's two of us then. I did agonise for a while about where to settle the gold/silver/fish city, since further south would give instant access to the fish. But in the end, I decided settling on the snow where I did was such a superior long term spot to anywhere else that it was worth waiting until mathematics and forts for the fish.

I also orphaned that whale in sense of it being out of any city's BFC, but to be honest I wasn't too bothered. Since you can't use whale until optics anyway, I tend to regard whale as pretty low priority tiles.

I settled on the snow patch as well. While not optimal in terms of a city - as "longterm" is not usual the best method for settling cities, my thinking was foremost about a helper city for cottages for Moscow. Secondly the instant trade route. I was beelining Maths anyway so a couple of workers knocked out a fort quick enough.

@DynamicSpirit
I also settled on turn 2, I think I made almost the same tour with my settler as you did. However I did in the end move 1S from your capital spot and settled.
I think I was worried about orphaning some seafood up north.

Settling one of coast isn't really that big of a deal. My capital had 4 coastal tiles. Imagine them as slighly better than peaks or desert. :)
4 such bad tiles won't matter untill 1700-1800AD.
The harbor is nice, but already being expansive health should be ok.

I think your choice was better since it game access to sheep/horse faster.

Return of the evil mapmaker.
No events, No huts, No sugar,
Post your gripes in the first spoiler.
Why is Peter a Grinch?
The isolation and the barren ice/tundra-ridden continent, paired with barbarian annoyances and lovely gold/silver which one wasn't allowed to touch really got meinto RP-mood. :)
Wait, who is the Grinch here? Peter or Deck?
:evil:

Deckhand - you weren't joking when you said the evil mapmaker was back, were you! Aside from the unusable water-gold there's a slight matter of our being confined to a small fertile patch just about big enough for 5 cities. Not only that, but ...

... I can see some semi-fertile land with horsies further West so maybe I'll get another city there, ...
:hmm: Surprised you haven't explored the whole continent by 1 AD. remember the first X in 4X is eXplore
I had some trouble with barb spearmen :)eek:) which slowed exploring a little.
Aha! :satan:

btw, the map edits I made besides the lake gold are the fish and gold by [DS] Novgorad
[last vestiges of my old "Nice Guy" signature]

Top Bottom