[BTS] BOTM 202: Joao, Prince - First Spoiler - 1AD

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff
BOTM 202: Joao, Prince - First Spoiler - 1AD

Use this thread to tell us what happened in your game, up to 1AD Did you settle on the plains hill or choose another location? How much have you explored? How are you finding the watery map?

Reading Requirements
If you are participating in BOTM 202, then you MUST NOT read this thread unless EITHER
  • You have reached at least 1 AD in your game, OR
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not disclose ANY events or information gained post 1 AD.
  • Do not reveal your final result if that happened after 1 AD.
  • Do not discuss the location of resources that may not show up before 1 AD (Iron is OK, coal and oil are not)
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games

Took contender, so I don't have to withhold from rex abuse due to maintenance issues.
I intend to create a massive empire while playing peacefully only till the very last turn, going for a non-military vic.

Since there's not much to report I will share my empire management a little bit.
Opening:
bronze - sailing - agri - wheel - pottery - myst - masonry => head for calender and PH
1] worker => chop - chop - mine - chop - mine - farm wheat - road/chop/mine/cottage for 2nd city (on western sugar)
2] workboat
3] 2nd chop + 1pop to finish LH
4] more workboats / settler whip / galley / settler whip etc

Current state 10 cities.
City2 came late due to big infra effort, later cities followed at a solid pace:
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

And Tech:
Spoiler :

Civ4ScreenShot0014.JPG

Hunting/Archery/AH/Montheism through trade.

Built GLH (725BC) and Oracle (400BC) => Civil Service.
2T away from 1st GP, most likely a GM.

3 Rivals met. Have located 2 of them. Despite rather reckless scouting with wb's / galleys, only 1 galley lost to barbs (fortified at full strength after defeating one 10T earlier).

Next plans:
Working on Colossus.
1T away from stone hooked up => Moai in cap => if possible HG and maybe Mids.
Working towards optics and pick up monarchy (HR)
Expand, expand, expand......

Kind of a strange game so far. Usually I get a rough idea of how to win early on, but here I've not really been chasing anything, with no thought of war yet. One idea was to try to get a totally peaceful domination, getting 50 islands or whatever, but not sure that is feasible. Looking at the map, the AIs are actually spreading half-decently.

SIP and opened similar to @Powerfaker I think, at least when it came to techs. Possibly postponed Agri to after Pottery, but am not 100% sure. Went early-ish Writing-Alpha, though, and backfilled what little was possible (nobody had IW yet, nor Writing). I opened with a workboat though (only 8 turns). Two actually. Hmm, or was it only one? Think I grew to size 4 and two-popped the settler, and plopped it down SE, so we had room for 3 cities there. Thought about settling on a sugar, but figured it was better with 3 cities here, since we had so little room to start with.

All forests were put into the Great Lighthouse (hmm, or at least 3 of them, maybe one went into a settler), which was completed in 1640BC or thereabouts. Stonehenge went somewhere else 200 years before, in Rome. On that note, I put out two workboats early for exploration, and the world was circumnavigated in 1120BC, looking at a savename. Oracled CS in 750BC, which I two-popped. Probably unnecessary, but I didn't have control of all AIs (one not found yet, and another not met), it was kinda late, and I didn't want to risk it. Shame for the capital that already had whip anger, but never mind.

Despite not a whole ton of hammers, the capital has been wonderwhoring. GLH, Oracle, Colossus and working on Mids. First GP was a Prophet unfortunately, at 20-30% odds. Decided to Shrine Confucianism. Maybe it will spread easier to my other cities, and I sure need the extra happy with nothing else around. The 2nd GP is soon out, and it's almost a three-way tie between GM, GE and GPr. Hopefully not another GPr, those guys suck. Two other cities working on GS, but one of them is the Shrine city, so another possible GProphet there as well.

Due to pretty hefty wonder focus this game, I've not expanded as well as I would have liked, so am behind Powerfaker with 8 cities in 1AD. Doing 200 :science: though, so that's okay. Pretty much only working seafood coast tiles for now, but I'm sure Colossus will prove useful once we can grow more. Went for early Compass too, but not built any harbours yet. This game has kinda been an oddball "for funsies", so I've queued up Machinery->Optics next, just to try to take advantage of the Carrack. Doesn't seem needed, but I suppose there must be something somewhere that's not accessible with galleys. Due to Paper we have a pretty good overview by now.

Not sure how this is even possible, but somehow Zara hasn't met anybody else yet by 1AD. Finally saw an exploreboat approach us, though, so he'll finally meet somebody else soon.

Very rare, but I had to self-tech Monarchy. Nobody else did, and we were desperate for happiness. Also wanted to double-switch HR+OR. A bit awkward with essentially no hammers outside the capital (since I had to settle on the green hill SW). Usually I'd split up wonders to reduce pollution, so we'll have to do the best we can with whatever pops out of the capital.

8 cities doing 199 :science:, with GLH and Currency. Need to REX more heavily after 1AD, so we can grab some of the decent locations around, and grab some happies. I was surprised to see barb galleys so early, around turn 70. Not lost anything to them yet. Must have gotten a free win against a galley that came inside our cultural borders, because it was a plain galley and odds was listed at 99.84%, and we won all rounds. Some workboats have had to run away (yay, 3-movers).

Last edited:
I also concentrated on the GLH, but I haven't completed any other wonder and I only have 6 cities by 1 AD.

I took the Deity save and unfortunately I won't have time to finish--this looks promising, since I'm not in last place. ;) At 1 AD I've met all but one AI and got circumnav a few turns ago. 7 cities (the AI have no more than 4) and 25 pop. Tech is not too bad. I'm 3rd in score with 376; Inca are #1 with 536. I lost the GLH on turn 69--can I say that's absurdly early? OK, I will. Barb galleys were a royal pain with pillaging my nets, but I finally have them somewhat under control, despite not quite having Metal Casting for triremes yet. Colossus is already gone. I nearly have the stone hooked up and if I were to continue, I'd work on lots of Moai failgold. Libraries and Gt Sci's are a priority, but I'm concentrating on HeredRule-powered pop growth and expansion first. There's no way I can finish in time so it's off to the Final Spoiler to see how others have put my efforts to shame.

Top Bottom