[BTS] BOTM 202 - Joao, Prince - Starts 21 Oct

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

BOTM 202: Joao of Portugal.

I just realised we haven't had a tiny islands map for ages. Have fun! Don't forget to build the Great Lighthouse!

Game settings:

Playing as: Joao of Portugal
Rivals: 6 AIs
Difficulty: Prince
Starting Era:
Ancient
Speed: Normal
Options: No random events
Victory Conditions:
All enabled

Map settings:

Map: Archipelago (tiny islands)
World Wrap: Cylindrical
Mapsize: Standard
Climate: Cold
Sea level: Medium
Map latitudes: -90°S to 90°N

Joao is Imperialistic and Expansive, and you start with Fishing and Mining.
The Imperialistic trait gives +100% great general emergence and +50% production of settlers
The Expansive trait gives +2 health/city and +25% hammers for worker production and double production speed of Granary and Harbor

Unique unit: Carrack (replaces Caravel)

The Carrack benefits from: can carry any unit, and can carry 2 units. This compares with the Caravel which has: can only carry spies, missionaries, etc., and can carry 1 units.

Unique Building: Feitoria (replaces Customs House)
Besides the +100% foreign trade route yield of the customs house, the feitoria gives +1 commerce per worked water tile. Pretty useful for your science!

Starting screenshot
This is the start of the game (click for a bigger image):

Note that in this game, any espionage-culture victories will be counted as cultural victories.

Challenger Class Equalizers:
Pfft! Prince Level? I can beat Prince in my sleep! I wanna play on deity level! .... wish granted, except that the AI still start with prince level starting units coz it was too much work for me to change that.

To Enter the Competition:
This competition will open at 00:01 am on 21 Oct 2020, server local time (UTC-6:00). From that date and time, you'll be able to get your chosen starting save >>>here<<<.
Submit the save after your victory (or defeat) here, by 23 Nov 2020.
Here is a link to a list of the differences between Vanilla, Warlords and BtS.

Software Versions
Windows: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the BUFFY mod version 3.19.005 installed. You can download the BUFFY mod here. Players using Windows Vista or Windows 7 are encouraged to read the notes on Vista fixes here.
Macintosh: This game MUST be played in Beyond the Sword (NOT Civ4 Vanilla or Warlords), patched to version 3.19, and with the Mac BUFFY mod version 3.19.003 installed. You can download the Mac BUFFY mod here.

While playing...
Remember - for your entry to be accepted, it MUST be your first attempt to play this game, and you MUST NOT replay any turns. If you make a mistake while playing, you have to live with it, learn from it, and carry on the game without replaying.
We will open 'spoiler' threads during the month for players to discuss what happens in their games. Do not discuss any details of your game outside those threads.

Last edited:
Hmmm... settle in place could be interesting. :groucho:

Standard question: This means huts and events are ON?

Good point. That is the meaning of Options: None, but that wasn't my intention. I actually intended to have goody huts ON but random events OFF. I've now fixed the save and edited the starting post to show that.

The bearded Hatty should be a good fit for a map like this. The Carrack is awesome.

I'm intrigued. I assume you mean Joao. But how hoes Joao fit the description 'bearded Hatty'?

But yes, I deliberately chose Joao to fit the map for this game.

I'm intrigued. I assume you mean Joao. But how hoes Joao fit the description 'bearded Hatty'?
Merely an attempt at humour. He has a beard and a rather large hat. I've sometimes nicknamed him Hatty in my own games. Although typically that is of course the colloquial name for Hatshepsut.

Is that the Eye of Sauron in his hat btw? Maybe there are things we really ought to know about this Portuguese fella :eek:

Generated a few maps with similar settings to see what it looked like. Unless this particular map has been cooked, it looks like there should be room for a few cities on our starting 'continent', so maybe some half-decent land to our south. Also, shockingly, there are quite a few seafoods around! :splat:

Hardly a sure thing, but with some luck it may be possible to circumnavigate with a workboat or galley.

Not exactly a great Buro spot, and the one riverside we have probably needs to be farmed to irrigate the wheat. Very nice NE spot, though, so maybe it's feasible to move the palace later. Will try to get through with BOTM 200 first, though. Too many half-done games currently :undecide:

You guys used to say, for example, "the game will be scored as if it's a prince level game " in the challenger description.
Is this just always true, so you don't bother to say it explicitly anymore?

You guys used to say, for example, "the game will be scored as if it's a prince level game " in the challenger description.

Yes as far as I'm aware it's still true. I believe the scoring script was implemented years ago to always score challenger based on the contender difficulty level, and as far as I'm aware nothing has changed. The description of the challenger game has to be edited into the announcement by hand - it's not automated, so it's easy for us to forget to mention it.

Yes it is. My deity submission for BOTM-193 was scored as warlord.
I believe this was implemented after I won BOTM-24 thus I feel being somehow related to that:mischief:
However I personally don't like this rule. Deity braves deserve this reward.

Top Bottom