[BTS] BOTM 261: Queen Victoria, Immortal - First Spoiler - 1AD

Hey @Jimmy Thunder! Good to have you back in the forum :thumbsup:. I agree with @ariosto, settling on Montys island is like painting a big target on yourself, dancing around singing: "Attack me if you can" :lol:. Looking forward to hear how that panned out. Maybe it was a genius way to make Monty spend his army attacking a hilltop city with walls?

Yeah, I was afraid to do that, and was to slow to settle small islands confidently - ended up stuck on my tine island, also not good.

I am also curious of how @Jimmy Thunder's gambit would play out - and loving how active this forum has become :D

Hey @Jimmy Thunder! Good to have you back in the forum :thumbsup:. I agree with @ariosto, settling on Montys island is like painting a big target on yourself, dancing around singing: "Attack me if you can" :lol:. Looking forward to hear how that panned out. Maybe it was a genius way to make Monty spend his army attacking a hilltop city with walls?
I settled coastal by the gems and fish. Monty captured it after it had grown (fortunately), developed the gems for me (I didn’t have IW yet). I’ll capture it back when I’m ready.

Full disclosure: I didn’t plan it that way. I just wasn’t thinking right when I settled it there I wanted to grab those gems. But there are a number of people who are Buddhist, including Monty and so his DOWing me, save me getting a negmod with any of them when I decide to attack him.

Last edited:
I settled coastal by the gems and fish. Monty captured it after it had grown (fortunately), developed the gems for me (I didn’t have IW yet). I’ll capture it back when I’m ready.

Full disclosure: I didn’t plan it that way. I just wasn’t thinking right when I settled it there I wanted to grab those gems. But there are a number of people who are Buddhist, including Monty and so his DOWing me, save me getting a negmod with any of them when I decide to attack him.

That is some next level diplo plotting :thumbsup: making a mental note to try it in the future

After some sand boxing I realized that it was possible to do a timely build of the GLH in the second city so I settled on the marble. Built worker and then settler right out of the gate while researching Agri - Sailing.
I've tried the worker-settler approach, and I have to say it is so much better. I still settled 2nd city 3N of marble. I chopped WB instantly, so I had to go for Agri->BW->Sailing. Whipped GLH on T66.
Compared to "grow on warriors to size 3, then settler" settler first is better on all fronts. You get the second city (and GLH) earlier. You can postpone the second worker, so the third city goes earlier. You get more commerce(!) despite postponing the second gold - thanks to earlier coastal tiles and trade routes.

That's an unexpected result

I settled on the marble. So far (1AD) this game feels a LOT easier than the average Immortal level game. I have 6 cities and population 27, built the Great Lighthouse, then the Pyramids (which I started thinking the stone-enhanced fail gold would be useful lol). Then since Im in Representation, I decided to build the Great Library (done). At 1AD I received the free Great Artist for being first to discover Music. My first (and only) GP was a Great Merchant which was settled in the capitol because I'm looking at a long game and can use the extra food.

I have met Inca, Aztec, Native Americans, and German. Only Germans are above me on the scoreboard. I am pretty much the tech leader at least among these losers. Each of the first three demanded tribute of an extra resource, which I obliged. Not sure where I'm going with this game or which victory condition. At this level, I think I was mostly looking to survive. Speaking of which, I'm a couple turns from CivService, after which I'll build some defensive units just to discourage being targeted. If an opportunity arises, I'll maybe even go for an attack on someone.

Having fun, but this is the part of the game things usually change quickly for the worse. :hide:

I've tried the worker-settler approach, and I have to say it is so much better. I still settled 2nd city 3N of marble. I chopped WB instantly, so I had to go for Agri->BW->Sailing. Whipped GLH on T66.
Compared to "grow on warriors to size 3, then settler" settler first is better on all fronts. You get the second city (and GLH) earlier. You can postpone the second worker, so the third city goes earlier. You get more commerce(!) despite postponing the second gold - thanks to earlier coastal tiles and trade routes.

That's an unexpected result

I only considered the worker - settler approach because I was stubborn and wanted to see if it was possible to settle marble AND get the GLH within 60ish turns in the second city. And this turned out to be the solution. I think it works because of the cheap settler combined with the 3 hammers in the capital city center.
My original plan was also to settle the second city 3N, but when I saw the stone/corn I knew that the GLH would be 100% certain if i settled city number two on the stone because it meant there would be no need for the workboat.

SiP. I did not consider 1W at any point, as for marble, i think fish and 4 lakes clearly outweigh 3 hammers at an average and longer distance. built a WB raised up to 4 pop and slaved worker. Then WB, warriors, granary and settlers. tech BW-wheel-agry-pot-sail-myst-mas.
The main goal in the beginning was exploration and settlement. 2nd WB sailed to the west, and warriors studied island. I didn't expect Barbs before turn 50 and it turned out to be a mistake. I was clearing the fog all over the island, except for the northeast before 30 turn. But when my warrior on the 31 turn went there to "close" the island from the barbarians, he met archer. Oddly enough, the archer did not pursue him and eventually did not enter my territory. But he didn't let me settle there for a very long time. Only much later, under the cover of 3 warriors, I put 8th (rice-fish) city, after which archer attacked it and died.
At some point I realized that I was too carried away by the settlement and could be left without a Great Lighthouse. I was lucky and in 950 bc I built it. In the same year I founded Confucianism. (poly-pri-writing-CoL). By this point I had 5 cities. 2nd - SSE from stone, 3d - 2W from gold, 4th - fish-crab-copper, 5th - NW crab. I planned next city on west 3-tile island. but suddenly a barbarian galley appeared, killed my galley and destroyed 2 crabs. Therefore, the 6th city I founded on my island to south from capital, 7th city about silver (and nothing more) and only the 9th on 3-tile. 10th city near clam. Initially, I planned a city on an island between me and the Aztecs, but at some point I decided not to build it, probably it was a mistake.
In 300 bc, I learned СS (after mono-mon), I had 10 cities and 46 pop. I planned raice up pop for use fin trait but...At that moment, the Aztec declared war on me. I had a hunch, but I didn't believe him, and instead of keeping the galley between me and Monty, I sent her to the Incas. Monty attacked me with only 1 galley, but I had no one to protect the rice-fish city. I slaved 4 galleys, blocked the passage between Monty and me and started preparing for war. in 400 bc Inka learned the alphabet, but only in 350 bc he agreed to change. I got the alphabet, hunting, animals, archery, IW. After the Aztec attack, I took over the bureau, learned the currency, exchanged Metal Casting for currency and CoL, and learned the machinery in 25 bc.
In 1 AD i have 9 city, 46 pop. 1 trireme, 5 galleys, 1 mace, 13 warriors+ and very soon take back city and begin revenge )
AI build Stonehenge, Great Wall, Oracle in 925 bc, Colossus in 350 bc and Pyramids. I take ToA in 150 bc

By the way i still not connect desert gold (for trade) and none of my cities can use it )

Last edited:
Top Bottom