BOTM113: Final spoiler to death do us part

kcd_swede

Jag är Viking!½
GOTM Staff

BOTM 113 - Boudica-chill out already - Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go?
Did somebody tell you that the blue paint makes you look fat?
Did they pay the iron price?

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in BOTM 113 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

This game really got me angry. Starting next to Shaka and GK and no island reachable by island, I guess you had to maintain you reputation of beeing evil.
The game was going ok until I rage-replyed(do that alot instead of rage quit). Settled at the fish had done some test to see that it was almost equal to the marble hill. Got happy when I got copper in BFC. Our continent turned into a Hindu lovefest but still at 1 AD every AI was showing a red fist... Shaka attacked Hammy, GK most probably was targeting me but I manage to keep him away by begging. Attacked Rag with small losses. Shaka is the biggest but I'm up in the middle so it could go. Plan was to grow bigger on stalins behalf and bride and backstab GK-Shaka.

AND then the following happend:
I was thinking of attacking Stalin with my axe stack or wait for maces. I didnt need to make the decision myself since Stalin attacked me probably regeret it the turn after when I was start Picking his cities after killing his stack in Zululand.
THEN he peace vassals to Shaka and force me into war with a way to big Zululand.:mad::mad::mad:
That is not ok Stalin you attacked me and then you go and cry to Shaka about me killing you. Step up and deal with it yourself!!

Some of the macho types really do have trouble dealing with a strong woman. I guess we strike one up for the Good Ol' Boys club, eh?:queen:

Fun game, I thought that I was going to lose after a reasonably successful war against the Mongols with catapults and celt-swords, but I was behind techwise with most of the world and the Ragnar just vassaled to Shaka. I wasn't in any position to attack Shaka and the very advanced Ragnar. Then I remembered to use espionage. A city gift with my religion and the holy city I took from the Mongols and about 1000 espionage point later and I had achieved tech parity with the world (along with a few tech trades). Then a war with Stalin. Then a war with the backwards Japanese. A very long war with Monty to get shared war bonuses with Alex, Shaka and Ragnar and I thought I was safe to get a space victory. Never got my great engineer though, so it was a late sushi game to power through to the end. But Shaka didn't like all that cultural pressure on his lands, so he finally declared war on me with his Vassal Ragnar, but by then it was Shaka's rifles and cavalry vs. my tanks and infantry. Controlling the oil prevented a very difficult naval war, and I took the nice cities and made peace and won space in 1854 AD. Not that impressive but I had pretty poor start. I teched archery as my 2nd technology and sat on my worker for 10 turns and had some set backs with the barbarians.

I wish I had thought about espionage.... as always, I ignored it.

This was a very tough game, it was touch and go for so long, begging with either Shaka or GK to stop invasions when they went WHEOOHRN. Thankfully we were all Hindu so begging was always available, and Shaka & GK always seemed to be happy to invade each other if they were at peace with me.

Ragnar got Elepulted, before I invaded I was +5gpt at 0% research.... about as close I want to go to permanent revolt considering I had to research Construction as fast as possible before that.

Anyway, once I got to Cuirs the whole game changed, instead of me fearing Shaka & GK it was all about who to kill first, Shaka was more vulnerable as he had just sacrificed some huge SoD against GK. After Shaka I cleaned up Stalin and then vassaled Hammy, I admit I got to Tanks before I finished off GK.

So, Domination in 1780ad & 194K score, though it could have so easily been defeat in the BC's or early AD's.

I do not recall the last time I killed so many Cannon.... my Cavalry had a field day!

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0714.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0714.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 58
Well...let's just call this one a "learning opportunity"....aka, veni, vidi, i got Shaka-ed!

The cumulative effect of many smallish mistakes sunk me in this one. I settled on ph-marble, got to a 5-city core, and came very close to eliminating Ragnar.

GK expanded surprisingly slowly for an ImpAI; he was stuck on 2 cities for what seemed like way too long...raging barb problems? Shaka got big quick and then declared on Hammy who he eventually vassaled--so a 10+ city Shaka with a 7+ city vassal. By this time GK had expanded to 10 cities or so also. GK found Hindu and Shaka was Hindu also.

I chopped Oracle (lots of 20-hammer chops) and only got Code of Laws, mainly because I forgot I needed Pottery first to enable Oracling Metal Casting. The whole Oracle pursuit was probably a mistake. I failed to appreciate how commerce-challenged I'd be on this map and teched Writing/Pottery much too late.

Complicating this I got no Hindu spread...I guess warmonger AIs don't have time for missionaries.
So, Ragnar was pretty much boxed in--3 cities on mainland and he and Stalin each had one city on the island to SE.

I declared on Ragnar around 540AD I believe-knocked him off mainland. However, the turn before I was ready to attack his capital, Ragnar vassals to Shaka/Hammy (Shaka had been pleased with me which I know doesn't mean your Shaka-proof).
If I could've just gotten enough troops over to the island to take Ragnar's last city quick enough, things might've been different. About this time Ragnar sinks the only galley I had in the area!

About 5 turns later Shaka's Knight/Impi/Catapult stack arrives at my Cow/Dye/Wheat city. My cities had been whipped to the ground in preparation. My stack in the city just evaporated!

It was fun while it lasted.

Big congrats to those who were able to defeat this map...I found it very tough.

Fun game, I thought that I was going to lose after a reasonably successful war against the Mongols with catapults and celt-swords, but I was behind techwise with most of the world and the Ragnar just vassaled to Shaka. I wasn't in any position to attack Shaka and the very advanced Ragnar. Then I remembered to use espionage. A city gift with my religion and the holy city I took from the Mongols and about 1000 espionage point later and I had achieved tech parity with the world (along with a few tech trades). Then a war with Stalin. Then a war with the backwards Japanese. A very long war with Monty to get shared war bonuses with Alex, Shaka and Ragnar and I thought I was safe to get a space victory. Never got my great engineer though, so it was a late sushi game to power through to the end. But Shaka didn't like all that cultural pressure on his lands, so he finally declared war on me with his Vassal Ragnar, but by then it was Shaka's rifles and cavalry vs. my tanks and infantry. Controlling the oil prevented a very difficult naval war, and I took the nice cities and made peace and won space in 1854 AD. Not that impressive but I had pretty poor start. I teched archery as my 2nd technology and sat on my worker for 10 turns and had some set backs with the barbarians.

Lol. I won Space at 1852AD. And yeah, very slow map. AIs didn't contribute and our start was horrible.

J/K, I won space 1856ADAD. :mad:
Now I am not so happy with the decision not to try to shave some turns...

Could have been Conquest or Domi, turned out Domi ;)
Spoiler :
/washes off warpaint, Boudi showed those stubborn warmongers some girlpower ~~

More serious, def. a rather difficult map.
I would say more than cooked Deity.

I did not take screenies while playing, but here's some stuff :)
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :
Spoiler :

Attachments

• boudi.jpg
    boudi.jpg
    370.6 KB · Views: 217
  • boudi2.jpg
    boudi2.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 190
  • boudi3.jpg
    boudi3.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 196
  • boudi4.jpg
    boudi4.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 187
  • boudi5.jpg
    boudi5.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 194
Nice one, Fippy! Sounds like a real war game - not even Guilds teched but a massive army and domination win at 1190AD.

Ty gj, yup that was all out war lol.
At some point i needed courthouses almost everywhere, even a market in shrine city.
Only 2 great peoples generated, 1 for shrine and 1 scientist i used for Astro bulb..no golden age, not a usual game. Golden Age would have made things easier, but.. :)

Wow...really nice game, Fippy and good work on the avatar!:)

Your game went the way I was hoping mine would (might have something to do with player skill :lol:).

As far as I can recall my 1st, 2nd and 3rd cities were settled in the same order and location as yours. The problem is I messed up my Oracle choice (not taking HBR) and delayed pottery/writing much too long. Do you remember when you declared on Ragnar? My date was 540AD.

Thanks for the screenies and good job again, Fippy.

Ty very much Shiv :)
I will look, should find Rags attack date in logs.

425 BC, hmm i think Pottery really paid of.
Not much commerce without cottages.

Ofc i was lucky to still get Oracle,
my thinking was i need masonry anways for Construction, then i combined that with ToA failgold to make use of marble.
Then PH cos Oracle was not gone yet (silly warmongers :)), and had workers ready to chop.

That's where warmongers show some weakness, i got plenty gold from ToA and still got Oracle cos they are just so slow with building wonders.

Looked at tech path: AH - Wheel - Fishing - Agri - Pottery - Mining - BW - Poly - Masonry - PH
Oracle 1120BC hmm that's really late, but can work with those AIs for sure on Imm.
Would have been no biggie to lose, important bit for me was the failgold and gaining commerce from cottages.

Fippy,

:goodjob:

You are officially the most aggressive player evah!
I never went nearly as far as killing my economy for domi, but that only means that I have never played out optimal domination. Respect or Restepca!

Well you want to keep going before others get longbows :)
Also Stalin was so friendly to build GLH, and my army was looking for work after Shaka (Rags had only 3 continent cities so was over quick).

Imo you can always stop when it does not work anymore, but i try to use my armies as long as possible. When combined with agg. Axes, there's not much that can challenge Jumbos on open field and for cities you throw those Cats in :)

It's all easy to say when your early game goes well thou, on that map if it's tough early..
warmongers cannot be given too much time or it's messy.

Top Bottom