1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Brazil discussion thread

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by DudewiththeFood, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

Brazil is the best civilization announced this expansion, Brazil is a great country, populous, rich, full development towards becoming one of the world powers, is a country with diverse culture, ready to host major events. Brazil is the best civilization of this expansion

2. nunor

nunor King

...and, let me guess, the country you happen to come from? :mischief:

3. Xandinho

Xandinho Deity

You guessed it, I am Brazilian :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

4. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

5. Imalich

Imalich Warlord

:pat:

Wow, nunor! You are so smart :D:D:D

But anyway, it's funny how much Brazilians reacted to our country's inclusion. In some ways I guess we are even worse off than the Polish

6. Liex

Liex King

Thinking of it, I guess it's only possible because we're quite handsome as well! :cool:
    At least people are not complaining that Brazil should have been included in vanilla or G&K because it's too big & stronk to be grouped with the puny 2nd xpack's civs. ;)

7. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

I don't think like that. The Carnival is what differ us from other countries, and I'm fine with that even disliking Carnival/Samba :p

About the pracinhas, they had a strong political importance in Brazil, even more importance than it had in the WWII. Furthermore, it synergizes well with the UA.

And not least, the smoking snake is cool :cool:

8. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

I just looked at Brazil's actual Carnival and hot damn. Brazil certainly has a powerhouse UA.

9. SandroTheMaster

SandroTheMaster Chieftain

My main problem is how easily they resorted to the low hanging fruit when it could've been made more dignified. Something like "Creative Endeavor" or "Strive for Progress" would easily convey the same mechanic. Wasn't it the case that before it was announced pretty much every Brazillian was wishing "please, let the UA not be carnival, please, let it not be"?

I don't know how much I'd like the idea of Engenho, considering what it actually entails, but Brazil was the last American country to abolish slavery... And I don't understand what would be the problem of at the very least making the Brazilwood Camp a forest improvement.

As for the Pracinhas... well. You should know very well what the Pracinhas were the precursors of. And considering how much of a joke they were considered within the allies, they're not something to be particularly proud of (except for the FAB).

Cangaceiros are a big no-no. They only fought our own government and people. Bandeirantes are possible, despite their dark history, but they don't deliver the right message and they're not entirely Brazilian either. Certainly, the Fatherland Volunteers would be the best option. Especially because they fought in a war we were actually the major part of, and it is the only South American war likely to be known internationally.

10. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

"Creative Endeavor" is a vague term that could apply to any nation, and I prefer to have an ability referring to the Carnival, which is an integral part of our culture, than something referring to our ridiculous positivist "motto". And altough I would prefer an UA that was related to plantation luxuries, I think Carnival is an allright one, and maybe we'll get unique graphics and/or music for our Golden Ages (Like the Danes have an unique embarkment graphic).

Altought the Engenhos are related to slavery, slavery is not essential to them. Senzalas are essentially related to slavery, for example. I agree on the Brazilwood Camp thought. These camps were made in the Atlantic Forest, which is not even close to the impenetrability of the Amazonia. So, it should be a forest, not a jungle.

I didn't like the Pracinhas either, but at least they have a cool icon.

11. Liex

Liex King

I don't want to discuss if the Atlantic Forest is technically a forest or a jungle, but considering the game's graphics it certainly looks more like a jungle than a forest.

Also, maybe it has something to do with balance, since jungles and forest have different yields and, perhaps, distribution.

12. Imalich

Imalich Warlord

Oh, that's one part of the Brazilian uniques that I didn't mind much. I don't know if it was caused by ignorance or by conscious choice, but I take it as a gameplay decision. It seems to me much more balanced to have a jungle UI than a forest UI. Or you people expected to see Brazil as anything but a jungle civ? I actually took for granted we would see some of the stereotype of "Brazil-jungles-bananas", heh

The Carnival thing did bother me a little, as for Pedro II's reign, we could have some cultural bonuses arising from different reasons, like his many translations and correspondence with intelectuals and scientists throghout the world (http://veja.abril.com.br/280410/razao-tropicos-p-118.shtml). But, mechanically speaking, the Carnival seems an interesting choice - it's just a bit strange to have a Carnival every 3000 years or so.

PS: I'm feel ashamed of linking something from Veja, but hey, the were quite sensible in this article.

13. altayrneto

altayrneto Prince

Just to summarize, D. Pedro II met Louis Pasteur, Alfred Nobel, Henry Longfellow and Victor Hugo, and several other scientists. Others he met that were not mentioned were Charles Darwin, Jules Verne and Nietzsche. I think it's enough to have the respect of intellectual... (sorry by my english...)

14. iRule

iRule Warlord

There are only two things that bother me about Brazil, in this order of severity:

The Pracinhas and the UA's name, "Carnival".

The Fatherland Volunteers (Voluntários da Pátria) would be much, much more interesting and suit for Brazil, because they're from Pedro's era AND, effectively, the Fatherland Volunteers mark the date when Brazil became the de facto power of South America. The Pracinhas were also pretty insignificant in WWII, even if they did a good job in Italy - I'm only speaking in a matter of scale.

Then there's Carnival... there's absolutely nothing wrong with the UA in itself, it's just the name... you could leave some hints that the Golden Age is a "Carnival", but, as I've suggested before, it would have been much better to name the UA with the simple but great "Order and Progress", or if you left it at Portuguese, "Ordem e Progresso".

There would be no better UA name for Brazil, especially considering what the country is going through - and what everyone in the Portuguese-speaking world is hoping for.

15. HipNozY

HipNozY Chieftain

The BNW expansion is supposed to be focused on the late game. So, this would certainly influence the Pracinha's choice.

16. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

No. Just no.

17. Princeofnigeria

Princeofnigeria The illustrious

... No to what? That guy said a lot of stuff, so you're gonna have to specify if you are to be understood.

18. VermelhoRed

VermelhoRed Prince

No to considering that ridiculous positivist motto as a possible name to our UA, and even considering it a better name than Carnival, which is an integral part of our culture!!

19. Luckystrike77

Luckystrike77 Prince

??? Let me guess; You have never visited Norway or Sweden? Nothing beats the women with viking blood running trough their veins.

20. LoneRebel

LoneRebel Emperor

Where's the Poland discussion thread where all the Poles go to celebrate their inclusion? I've been looking for it but can't find it, something must be wrong. :lol:

All in all, IMO the Brazilian reaction to Brazil's inclusion was just right. They're happy about it but not to the extent that it becomes irritating to others.

If anything, what I noticed was that Brazilians had a few, um, heated discussions among themselves on this thread. The ones that are going on right now are just fine, but IIRC there was this really big one near the start of the thread and the mods had to step in. The way I saw it, this was the Brazilians' way of showing their modesty at Brazil's inclusion. "Oh, we're happy that Brazil's included, but we are modest enough not to brag about it, so we will just argue amongst ourselves instead." :lol:

I think I saw a similar phenomenon on the Portugal discussion thread. And it definitely does beat bragging, so :goodjob:.