Brazil discussion thread

I have just entered this thread to see what people are discussing for so long...

Where's the Poland discussion thread where all the Poles go to celebrate their inclusion? I've been looking for it but can't find it, something must be wrong. :lol:

All in all, IMO the Brazilian reaction to Brazil's inclusion was just right. They're happy about it but not to the extent that it becomes irritating to others.
To be honest, I saw more "i am so funny" posts about whining Poles than irritating Poles' posts. I will add one to the first category:
Poles do not celebrate, because it was hell yeah time for the inclusion.

If anything, what I noticed was that Brazilians had a few, um, heated discussions among themselves on this thread. The ones that are going on right now are just fine, but IIRC there was this really big one near the start of the thread and the mods had to step in. The way I saw it, this was the Brazilians' way of showing their modesty at Brazil's inclusion. "Oh, we're happy that Brazil's included, but we are modest enough not to brag about it, so we will just argue amongst ourselves instead." :lol:

I think I saw a similar phenomenon on the Portugal discussion thread. And it definitely does beat bragging, so :goodjob:.
Yeah, good job brazilians.
Brazil is the best civilization announced this expansion, Brazil is a great country, populous, rich, full development towards becoming one of the world powers, is a country with diverse culture, ready to host major events. Brazil is the best civilization of this expansion.
Nevermind, you are more comic than irritating. ^^

My comment on civ:
It's screaming "one type of victory only!11". Golden age focus is already in game (Persia > Brazil for everyone who is friend of liberty flexibility). Late game infantry unit (try harding to finish off enemies with it might be fun once or terrible frustrating/abadonded at once). UI, hello cultural victory once again. All in all, this 'one type of victory' will probably make me reroll game when I random Brazil. It will become a civ for number maniacs (X turn cultural victory on Deity). It definitely doesn't fit my gamestyle.

My comment on civ:
It's screaming "one type of victory only!11". Golden age focus is already in game (Persia > Brazil for everyone who is friend of liberty flexibility). Late game infantry unit (try harding to finish off enemies with it might be fun once or terrible frustrating/abadonded at once). UI, hello cultural victory once again. All in all, this 'one type of victory' will probably make me reroll game when I random Brazil. It will become a civ for number maniacs (X turn cultural victory on Deity). It definitely doesn't fit my gamestyle.

It will depend on how powerful Tourism is outside of the culture victory. All we know right now is that Tourism is the mechanic used for city flipping, which could be quite powerful, or disappointingly easy to defend against. I still have hope that Tourism will be tied to something else as well, such as counting toward Ideological tenets.

For some reason I feel the impulse to conquer Jakarta as Brazil. Don't really know why. I just think the Majapahits will have a nice color scheme and I "feel" that they shall be my neighbours on my first Brazilian game. Quite weird. I look nuts. Ignore this.

I have just entered this thread to see what people are discussing for so long...

To be honest, I saw more "i am so funny" posts about whining Poles than irritating Poles' posts. I will add one to the first category:
Poles do not celebrate, because it was hell yeah time for the inclusion.

Don't worry; I never saw any irritating Poles' posts myself, although I probably wasn't looking too hard.

I'm just glad that Poland can into Civ5. ;)

Only thing of this sort I remember seeing was on the 2K Games forums before Spain was released. So many Spaniards were complaining. That got a little irritating, because of course Spain was going to be in the game. There was no way they could possibly not be in the game.

For some reason I feel the impulse to conquer Jakarta as Brazil. Don't really know why. I just think the Majapahits will have a nice color scheme and I "feel" that they shall be my neighbours on my first Brazilian game. Quite weird. I look nuts. Ignore this.

I'm sorry, I could not ignore it as it made me laugh out loud. :lol:

I read your post on the Indonesia speculation thread. The color scheme you were suggesting for Indonesia/Majapahit is a bit similar to Brazil's, right?

I'm sorry, I could not ignore it as it made me laugh out loud. :lol:

I read your post on the Indonesia speculation thread. The color scheme you were suggesting for Indonesia/Majapahit is a bit similar to Brazil's, right?

:lol: Oh, that suggestion is because of a dream I had several weeks ago. In my dream, they announced Indonesia with a Dark Green + Yellow Siam scheme color, and a symbol that looked like this:

++
++

I'm not expecting that color scheme (it looks too simillar to India, actually), but a tasty tasty one, something that asks you to conquer them :p

Will we have Tom Jobim as a Great Musician, and "Garota de Ipanema", as his Great Work? Possibly the greatest worldwide known music made by a brazilian...

Will we have Tom Jobim as a Great Musician, and "Garota de Ipanema", as his Great Work? Possibly the greatest worldwide known music made by a brazilian...

Indeed. Garota de Ipanema is known to be the second most recorded song after Yesterday, from the Beatles.

Another option for Great Person would be Oscar Niemeyer as a Great Engineer (he was an architect, but anyway).

Indeed. Garota de Ipanema is known to be the second most recorded song after Yesterday, from the Beatles.

Another option for Great Person would be Oscar Niemeyer as a Great Engineer (he was an architect, but anyway).

Does it count to be a civ great person when the person in question has just died?

I mean, Tom Jobim died in the 90s, while Niemeyer died last year. Sure, Niemeyer was born 40 years before Jobim and lived longer than some egyptian mummies took to rot, but still...

Does it count to be a civ great person when the person in question has just died?

I mean, Tom Jobim died in the 90s, while Niemeyer died last year. Sure, Niemeyer was born 40 years before Jobim and lived longer than some egyptian mummies took to rot, but still...

That did not prevent Steve Jobs from being a great merchant.

Yeah, Niemeyer would be a great choice for a brazilian great engineer.

I was thinking about Villa-Lobos as a great musician, but I guess Tom Jobim is actually way more popular than Villa-Lobos.

To for brasilian great artists (artists, musicians and writers) we have Machado de Assis, Tarsila do Amaral, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Tom Jobim, Villa-Lobos, Chico Buarque, Carlos Gomes, Aleijadinho, Castro Alves, and much others. To for great engineer, can be Oscar Niemeyer, Santos-Dummond e pe. Roberto Landell de Moura (the last two may be great scientists). To great merchant, Visconde de Mauá. (Como disse D. Pedro, "Devemos prosperar (...) pelo comércio?)

I've been thinking...

Wouldn't it be amazing to have Cartola's "Preciso de Me Encontrar" as Brazil's theme, in an orchestral version?

Link to video.

Especially considering Pedro's grimy look and the fact I can imagine a rather cool war theme version of that song.

P.S - And for those who know about Pedro's personal story... aren't those lyrics perfect for him? Poor guy.

I've been thinking...

Wouldn't it be amazing to have Cartola's "Preciso de Me Encontrar" as Brazil's theme, in an orchestral version?

Link to video.

Especially considering Pedro's grimy look and the fact I can imagine a rather cool war theme version of that song.

P.S - And for those who know about Pedro's personal story... aren't those lyrics perfect for him? Poor guy.

would be amazing. Pity that most Brazilians do not even know Cartola ...
Changing the subject, anyone have a map of Brazil? It is already found Morocco's...

It will probably still include Uruguay, I'm guessing. Actually I'm not sure... Uruguay used to be Portuguese, then it became Brazilian, but there was a revolution in Uruguay at the time of Pedro II, wasn't it? I think it will probably include it, as it was the apex of Brazil's territory.

I'm actually keen on knowing Portugal's map - you know, technically Brazil should be in Portugal's map, Firaxis completely messed up everything with choosing Maria I. She was the last solely Portuguese monarch to rule over Brazil. I don't know how Firaxis will deal with that.

I'm guessing they'll take Brazil out of the map... ridiculous. Had they chosen Maria II, which would have been a much more reasonable decision, and this question wouldn't even be posed.

I'd also like to listen to Maria's voice acting. I really liked Pedro's, they really got it right on that particular Portuguese voice talent at least, so I'm wondering how Maria will be.

Hi, as a professor of Art History in Brazil, I think the great artists should be:
Almeida Junior, the greatest painter from imperial age.
Machado de Assis, probably the most famous brazilian writer. American critic Harold Bloom thinks Machado de Assis is one of the greatest writers of the history of literature.
Tarsila do Amaral, a follower of Fernand Léger, she was the most original painter of brazilian modernism.
Heitor Villa-Lobos, alongside with Igor Stravinsky, the precursor of strongly rythmic music in western classical music. He was the most prolific composer of XX century, only some baroque composers made more works than he did (about 2 thousand).
Décio Pignatari, founder (with Augusto and Haroldo dos Campos) of concrete poetry, a literature movement that started in Sao Paulo in the 50ths and spread all over the world becoming the dominant style of post-war avant-garde poetry.
Oscar Niemeyer, the precursor of organic architecture. He was the first to refuse the white box style of modernism proposed by Le Corbusier, Walter Gropius and Mies van der Rohe. Contemporary architecture (I'm thinking in Frank Gehry) have a great debt with Niemeyer's works.

But, the main art of Brazil is popular music. There are so many great composers.
Pixinguinha, most famous composer of Choro, the main brazilian genre before samba.
Noel Rosa, a true genius of samba. Wrote about 140 great songs. He died with 26 years.
Tom Jobim, for me, he is the greatest composer of popular music ever. Very complex songs that are easy listening.
Chico Buarque, a great composer famous in many countries. He made very great lyrics.

From great scientist there could be Carlos Chagas.

Sorry for my english. I don't write anything for a while.

Oscar Niemeyer should totally be in. Brasília is a giant work of art. The triumph of Man's mind over nature, rationality over anarchy - and, yet, rationality that still contains its human, organic element. After all, what's reason without humanity in it? It's not reason any more.

Not to mention Niemeyer was also behind the UN building (and what's coming back to Civ? :) ).

And, I mean, what's Civilization really about but the triumph of Men over irrationality?

About Pedro II, he was a very educated emperor, probably the most educated ruler of XIX century. He loved philosophy and was friend of a lot of important philosophers, artists and scientists all over the world.

Tristan und Isolde, Richard Wagner's masterpiece, almost had its premier in Rio de Janeiro. But Pedro II was dissuaded of this idea because Wagner was considered a criminous in Prussia, an allied kingdom of Brazil.

I think it was Victor Hugo who used to call Pedro II the name of Marcus Aurelius, the last good emperor of Roman Empire. Marcus Aurelius was known for being a philosopher extremely educated.

So, if Brazil will be a cultural civilization, Pedro II is the best choice.

I think the capital will be Rio de Janeiro. I don't even think Brasilia should be a city. I think it should be a wonder or great work.

About Pedro II, he was a very educated emperor, probably the most educated ruler of XIX century. He loved philosophy and was friend of a lot of important philosophers, artists and scientists all over the world.

Tristan und Isolde, Richard Wagner's masterpiece, almost had its premier in Rio de Janeiro. But Pedro II was dissuaded of this idea because Wagner was considered a criminous in Prussia, an allied kingdom of Brazil.

I think it was Victor Hugo who used to call Pedro II the name of Marcus Aurelius, the last good emperor of Roman Empire. Marcus Aurelius was known for being a philosopher extremely educated.

So, if Brazil will be a cultural civilization, Pedro II is the best choice.

I think the capital will be Rio de Janeiro. I don't even think Brasilia should be a city. I think it should be a wonder or great work.

It has to be a city. It wouldn't make any sense.

Now, if Brazil's UA, instead of being the "Carnival" one, had something to do with the capital... a vamped up capital of some sort, especially when you reached the Modern Age... Now that could have been an interesting choice and would fit Brazil, a lot.

Top Bottom