Brazils GPP Carnival Bonus

Victoria

Regina
Supporter
I was messing around last night trying to get stuff together for a culture guide and could not find out how much GPP bonus Brazil got for building a carnival district so ran through a little test and it appears not the best.

The turn the Carnival district is built Brazil gains an extra turn of GPP points. So in my test is was something like

9.4 GS points - the bonus addition was 9.4
6.3 GE points - the bonus addition was 6.3
5.3 GW points - the bonus addition was 5.3
2.4 GA points - the bonus addition as 2.3
2.4 GM points - the bonus addition was 2.3

So it looks like I am 99% correct but the rounding issue of the GA and GM causes some doubts but likely just recalculated with a rounding difference.

EDIT: alternatively it may have been the figure taken fro the start of the build

Naturally no GPP were generated for anything I currently did not have.
I did find rushing the Oracle early was a huge help then building lots of districts (using the GP to get an extra one) did mean I was becoming swamped in GP but could happily skip GP through being spoilt for choice.

Some thoughts
It is an interesting strategy for denying others GP
You could also boost your GPP at the right time to get that key GP (even boost and buy)
You can turn this usefulness to whatever strategy you are using... i.e. you would get great generals a lot faster.
The cost of GP goes up with each so the benefits seem short lived but do give an early boost when it is most needed but probably limits you more in getting those later GP that are cool. The Brazil benefit of 20% return on GPP points at receiving a GP is scale-able and helps I guess.

Last edited:
Your results makes no sense... it only gives GPP to engineer, merchant, writer, artist and musician.

Your results makes no sense... it only gives GPP to engineer, merchant, writer, artist and musician.

One may have missed the line

Optionally if you say it does not provide GS points because of something you read... what you read was incorrect.

I came I saw I tested.

The turn the Carnival is built Brazil gains an extra turn of GPP points.
Makes sense to me.

Now if only the Great People were actually valuable and worth the production cost of using the project...

I don't get this part... Are you saying it gives extra GPP of the type that you are currently creating?

What happens if the only district you have in your empire is a Carnival district and you build a Carnival Project?

I tested it. Built Street Carnival as first district, then a couple of Carnival Projects. A Carnival Project that cost 91 production yielded 11 Merchant, Engineer, Writer, Artist and Musician points. Built a second project at the same cost which game the same yield. This is exactly in line with how it has been previously described. I don't know why it would have given you GS points.

I do remember very carefully taking notes and replaying it and double checking it but it was 2am.

However I DO now see where the confusion is. If you read my initial notes.. it is when the carnival is made you get a GPP boost equal to 1 turn of what you are currently generating.

The turn the Carnival is built Brazil gains an extra turn of GPP points.

I can dig out the .sav but I think you should be cool with that reply.

Oh, you mean when the district itself is built? That's very interesting if true. I see some potential for massive exploits... (Edit: not so massive now when I crunch the numbers, but exploitable nevertheless)

Both the district and the project are called "Carnival", which makes it a bit confusing if only using that word.

Last edited:
Yes I mean the district and on all these wonderful Wiki's no-one had the value for the build bonus. I am trying to write up something on it all in a guide so need to find out as much as possible. When you did your assessment did you only check out the once? I mean have you worked out a relation between production and GPP for the carnival project?

I'll add the word district in the original post

I tested it. Built Street Carnival as first district, then a couple of Carnival Projects. A Carnival Project that cost 91 production yielded 11 Merchant, Engineer, Writer, Artist and Musician points. Built a second project at the same cost which game the same yield. This is exactly in line with how it has been previously described. I don't know why it would have given you GS points.
Do you know how many techs/civics you had at that time?

Do you know how many techs/civics you had at that time?
For that one I fired up a classical start, teched the wheel->construction and games&recreation. So all ancient plus those.

I didn't test any further than that. I've seen some conflicting info about Carnival Project yields. Maybe it's also dependent on game speed. This was standard speed.

13 techs when you started the projects would be consistent with those numbers if it uses the standard tech/civic increase.

(The wierd bonus from building the district is interesting too)

The wierd bonus from building the district is interesting too)
The build bonus makes sense I guess. You are already getting GPP of certain types and building a carnival district just plucks up their interest.
From a technical point, its just more simpler than I thought it would be. I would not have even checked it out unless it was showing in wikis as "also greans GPP points when built" but with no detail.

The last 30 turns before I've won cultural victory on turn 255, standard speed, I got around 40 GPP per carnival project. I had something like 8 production cities running carnivals non-stop for 30 turns ^^. On turn 250, all great writers, artists and musicians in the game were used up. Pretty funny. Definitely effective in late game.

Oh, so you are talking about the district not the project, yeah, that is new info.

Sorry for the necro, but I didn't want to start another thread.

I tried testing this feature from the Street Carnival and I just couldn't replicate it.

Was this removed? Or perhaps there's some trick to it that I'm not seeing.

Top Bottom