Bryan Johnson

So you're mocking him because according to twitter he takes estrogen? Does that make you a transaphobe now? Or does hatred of anyone with money override trans solidarity?

IIRC he admits to taking small doses of test & hgh, this is the first I've heard he's "on estrogen". I'm sure as an impartial investigator you can give me the inside scoop.

He has claimed multiple times to be taking “non-feminizing estradiol,” specifically 0.2 mg/day patches, presumably Climara. He’s right to recognize that estradiol gives you a more youthful appearance due to the fat redistribution and the skin softening (and because for trans women you get happier and take better care of yourself), but there’s no such thing as “non-feminizing” estradiol. Estradiol is estradiol and if you take it your body is going to feminize you, including growing breasts, ceasing erections and sperm production, big emotional changes, etc. His dosage (0.2 mg/day patches) is the dose I was on for the first year of HRT. That second picture looks like someone in their first year on e.

The joke I was making is that it’s pretty common for trans people to experiment with their gender expression while justifying it with convoluted reasoning that is immediately recognizable to other trans people. “Oh I’m not a girl, it’s just that female characters have better clothing options.” There’s a whole subreddit dedicated to memes and jokes about things we say when we’re eggs. I think if someone had posted a meme about someone on e but “they’re not a girl they swear it’s not trans or anything they just like the youthful glow they get,” people would probably find it too absurd and unrealistic to take seriously.

He has claimed multiple times to be taking “non-feminizing estradiol,” specifically 0.2 mg/day patches, presumably Climara. He’s right to recognize that estradiol gives you a more youthful appearance due to the fat redistribution and the skin softening (and because for trans women you get happier and take better care of yourself), but there’s no such thing as “non-feminizing” estradiol. Estradiol is estradiol and if you take it your body is going to feminize you, including growing breasts, ceasing erections and sperm production, big emotional changes, etc. His dosage (0.2 mg/day patches) is the dose I was on for the first year of HRT. That second picture looks like someone in their first year on e.

The joke I was making is that it’s pretty common for trans people to experiment with their gender expression while justifying it with convoluted reasoning that is immediately recognizable to other trans people. “Oh I’m not a girl, it’s just that female characters have better clothing options.” There’s a whole subreddit dedicated to memes and jokes about things we say when we’re eggs. I think if someone had posted a meme about someone on e but “they’re not a girl they swear it’s not trans or anything they just like the youthful glow they get,” people would probably find it too absurd and unrealistic to take seriously.
If he wanted to be a girl why would he also take trt?

Article is pay walled but why not? I'd have given my dad some of my blood to keep him young and fun.
You're old enough to make that decision for yourself. His kid is 17. That's really creepy.

Wait until he gets a virus that damages him at the cellar level, or other degenerative disease. That will screw him up just like anyone else.

Wait until he gets a virus that damages him at the cellar level, or other degenerative disease. That will screw him up just like anyone else.
Oddly enough, it seems like the man lives like a hermit. I don't know how he'll get any of those, especially if he's checking his whole genome for degenerative diseases. Who knows though?

This is a rich guy who's 45 years old. He looks like a regular rich guy with a healthy diet, no drug/addiction problems and regular exercise would look like when they're 45 years old.

If he's discovered the truth to eternal life, wake me up when he isn't 45 years old. If he's still alive aged 145 years then maybe he might be on to something.

Oddly enough, it seems like the man lives like a hermit. I don't know how he'll get any of those, especially if he's checking his whole genome for degenerative diseases. Who knows though?
He has meetups at his house every week iirc.

He's probably less socially isolated than most people (granted when you're rich and people think you can help them it's probably not hard to make friends)

You're old enough to make that decision for yourself. His kid is 17. That's really creepy.
I don't find it creepy

Children want to help their parents, if it doesn't harm the kid I don't see a problem

Sure you could get hit by a bus too but that doesn't mean you should smoke.

Co-morbidities are what mostly kills people

I don't find it creepy

Children want to help their parents, if it doesn't harm the kid I don't see a problem

It's very iffy as far as consent goes, as the kid is presumably still dependent on him at that age. Experimenting on your own body is one thing, but once you start involving others, especially at that age, it's an ethics issue. Looking at this from the perspective of a research scientist, I would not regard this as passing ethical standards, although I'm sure you could find others in my field who'd regard it as acceptable (especially if you have funding to splash around...)

There's a number of related molecules that "Estradiol" is used to refer to, with somewhat different effects. Normally with HRT and so on, it's the 17-beta isomer that's being used, which very definitely is feminizing.

There has however been investigation into other estradiol isomers, in search for "non-feminizing" estradiols. This is mostly because there are certain medical conditions where estradiol can be beneficial, but obviously most men don't want the feminising side effects. The most notable is the 17-alpha isomer, which has been used to treat male pattern baldness, among other things, but is not feminizing like the 17-beta isomer. (There is some dispute in the literature whether it has a very weak feminizing effect on hormone profiles at high dosage, but you're not looking at growing breasts, etc.)

Bryan Johnson specifies he's using one of the 17-alpha isomers (17aE2), not Climara or any 17-beta estradiol based drug. This choice is almost certainly based on papers such as this:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29806096/

Which studied this specific estradiol isomer's effects on lifespan in mice.

I would advise against trying to read him as trans, at least not from this particular drug regime given he's specifically picked a non-feminizing isomer. The visible differences in the photos on the previous page will have nothing to do with this drug.

In many (most?) jurisdictions the age to be allowed to donate blood is 17 (parent's consent not required), 16 if the parent consents (obviously has the consent of the parent).

Of course some important distinctions are, this blood donation isn't for an immediate life-saving procedure that most donors assume their donation will likely be used for. And the parent is the obvious beneficiary, so parent possibly 'pressuring' the teen to donate is possible (although no evidence of this), and a parent requiring their child to donate blood is such an unlikely situation, I just can't find anything on google about answer to legal question of whether a parent can compel their teen to donate. (every hit is about "can I do it", not "do I have to do it if I don't want to")

I would advise against trying to read him as trans, at least not from this particular drug regime given he's specifically picked a non-feminizing isomer. The visible differences in the photos on the previous page will have nothing to do with this drug
Dude just looks a lil girly. Used to mean you'd just get an Aerosmith song about you but in these strange times if you don't conform to tight gender norms you got internet randos questioning your very identity 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♀️

LMAO source/stamp? I believe it, but just want to hear it for myself.
Guy wants all his organs to be biologically 18 don't see why his ***hole would be exempt.

It's very iffy as far as consent goes, as the kid is presumably still dependent on him at that age. Experimenting on your own body is one thing, but once you start involving others, especially at that age, it's an ethics issue. Looking at this from the perspective of a research scientist, I would not regard this as passing ethical standards, although I'm sure you could find others in my field who'd regard it as acceptable (especially if you have funding to splash around...)
Is giving plasma as a 17yo dangerous?

Is giving plasma as a 17yo dangerous?

Not the issue. When dealing with ethics in research (and more generally in medical matters), not being dangerous isn't sufficient. I don't get to run experiments on people without their express permission, given freely. Saying "oh, but the experiments are safe", even if true, will not sound at all good in front of the ethics committee. ;)

Informed consent is the issue here, and for consent to be valid the person giving it must be free to say no without fear of repercussions. To be ethical, you would need to be confident the kid can tell his dad "no", without any impact (financial, roof over his head, etc.). I am unconvinced this is the case. It would be difficult to prove the kid is free to say no here, and it's an absolute requirement for the dad to prove this for me to file it as OK.

Like I said, you could find people who'll argue that it's not a big deal, but I'm seeing some warning flags here. There's a point where obsession with improving physical health can turn into active damage to mental health. The impression I get from Bryan Johnson is someone who passed that point quite some time ago, and dragging his 17 year old kid into his obsession in any way is quite reasonably setting off some people's "creepy" alarms.

There's a point where obsession with improving physical health can turn into active damage to mental health.
Fair enough, I've been there & seen many others there as well.

The impression I get from Bryan Johnson is someone who passed that point quite some time ago, and dragging his 17 year old kid into his obsession in any way is quite reasonably setting off some people's "creepy" alarms.
I don't know the guy personally, I only see his choreographed version of his life. On the face of it it seems he loves his son very much & cares about his (son's) health as much or more than his own (and part of his motivation on his crusade is to be able to be active, healthy & participatory in his kid's life) but at the end of the day we don't know. I suppose I can see how people would view this as creepy & imagine rich dad twisting his son's arm, I'd imagine tho the kid is more than happy to go along. Putting myself in his shoe's he's getting an almost 30 year head start on everything his dad is learning about health, and considering they're very similar genetically it will benefit him far more than the average person.

Guy makes me think of the quote. The future is already here it's just not evenly disturbed.

Top Bottom