[BtS] Amra's Modpack v3 for Beyond the Sword

What did they do, if I may make a quick in-thread tangent?

If you play Visa for warlords you will notice that your saved games create more files (in a separate folder). Rather than one big file each game has a number of small files. This proved to delay the MAF problem a lot and on some system it even got rid of it totally.

The rational, MAF is reported to occur on autosave once the file goes large. Larger maps and more stuff in mods makes the save file gets bigger so fast. When autosaving or saving normally, the exe file needs memory to write the new save file and if the size requested is big Bang MAF. Smaller files means less memory needed and requested.

@Amra. where is my soapbox..
Basic Principals for Mods, Loans, Aircraft, Manufacturing, and all Inovation
" ... get inspired ... "
1.1 " ... sometimes you have to lighten the load if you want this thing to fly ... "

If you play Visa for warlords you will notice that your saved games create more files (in a separate folder). Rather than one big file each game has a number of small files. This proved to delay the MAF problem a lot and on some system it even got rid of it totally.

The rational, MAF is reported to occur on autosave once the file goes large. Larger maps and more stuff in mods makes the save file gets bigger so fast. When autosaving or saving normally, the exe file needs memory to write the new save file and if the size requested is big Bang MAF. Smaller files means less memory needed and requested.

In your experience with Visa for Warlords, did turning off autosaves via the .ini file work or no?

Hello everyone,

Just a quick post to say I'm not dead, I've just been REALLY busy with real life issues, travel, and then tax time in the U.S. The last item is almost as fun as getting a MAF error when playing my modpack. :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, I appreciate everyone's input and I want to let you know that I haven't given up on this modpack yet. I'll be honest, though, and say that I am frustrated that the MAF error that plagues some large modpacks is still an issue after the BtS Expansion and I am wondering why I would want to spend a lot of time working on something that I & others won't be able to enjoy because of the MAF's. So, as I said, I haven't given up on this yet but I want to take some time to look thru the many threads here dealing with this issue and see what my options are for resolving it... if any. :crazyeye:

Thanks again to everyone for your patience.

How did they manage to do that? Is it possible for us to replicate it?

@kwarriorpoet

In my personal experience I only got MAFs a couple of times even with my older PC with 2GB RAM. I just play heavy mods on Standard maps. I however know that many others have managed to work around MAFs by disabling autosave. They should save manually every turn though. The MAF will come but at longer intervals and they will have at least one turn back save to load. This is the basic idea you can know more by searching for MAF or Memory Allocation Failure.

@Xenomorph
They did it through the DLL code. I don't know details. I don't know if the same will be or is already implemented for WoC. In either cases if their code is there it sure can be used in any other mod.

Are the civics anything like they are in Marnz Mod?

Hello, Amra. great to see this mod you`ve made. There are some great stuff in it. I`ve only just got back into this and am starting fresh. There are a few mods in here and one is the Bug mod that allows lots of little changes to the game that looks promising (you have to press ctrl+alt+O ) .

I bought this up and made the changes but the exit button won`t let me exit. Is there a way out of this?

Hello, Amra. great to see this mod you`ve made. There are some great stuff in it. I`ve only just got back into this and am starting fresh. There are a few mods in here and one is the Bug mod that allows lots of little changes to the game that looks promising (you have to press ctrl+alt+O ) .

I bought this up and made the changes but the exit button won`t let me exit. Is there a way out of this?
This will happen if you change the name of the modpack's folder. Did you by any chance do that?

The modpack folder must be named "Amra v3 Basic" or the included BUG Mod won't be able to find the .ini file it uses. This folder name is specified in an included python file & the ini file.

Let me know if that wasn't the problem.

No, I never did that. It even says "Amra v3 Basic" in CIV4. Maybe I should add that I have the Complete CIV4 all-in-one pack. could that be a problem? Or is it because I have it installed on a partitioned drive? i`ll check out the modsite.

Anyway, been playing a while (and not touching the Bug mod) and it`s very good so far. The little mods like the historical speeches for some leaders are very nice. I`ve only seen three new leaders so far,but all looked good.

Maybe I should add that I have the Complete CIV4 all-in-one pack. could that be a problem?
The included BUG Mod has had other problems with Civ4 Complete such as a missing interface so this may be another form of that. It has to do with the way Civ4 Complete adds registry entries to Windows.

Before messing with your registry, however, I would just double check that the Amra v3 Basic.ini file isn't somehow set to "read only" on your computer. That could prevent the modpack from writing any changes to the ini file after you make them in a game.

Otherwise, if you are comfortable with editing your registry, you could try the fix described in post #12 here:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6367044&highlight=complete#post6367044

You may want to create a System Restore point first just to be safe.

The alternative to editing the registry is to manually edit the "Amra v3 Basic.ini" file in the modpack folder with Notepad. Most variables are described within the ini file. You should backup the ini file first before editing it.

I actually had a problem with the vanishing interface too and fixed that by editing the registry ( i have some experience there), but it never fixed the mod not exiting. The `read only` suggestion is a good idea, i`ll check.

I`m in the UK so probably won`t be able to get back on how I do for another day... It`s already 05:00am now yawn...

Amra v3 Basic - Patch 3.02
Has been posted.

Here is the link: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8902

Click the spoiler below for what has changed. The patch includes all previous fixes.

Spoiler Patch 302 Details & Installation :

Installation of Patch

You should install the patch just as you did the original modpack by extracting this file to your Beyond the Sword "Mods" folder . For example, C:\Program Files\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Beyond the Sword\MODS. It should ask you to overwrite some previously installed files in my modpack, say yes.

IF the patch is installed correctly or if you already have version 3.02 installed, you will see a new Main Menu screen with "Amra v3.02 Basic" printed on it.

Also, there are two entries in the Civilopedia under Game Concepts titled "Amra" & "Amra Version History" that will always tell you the current version of my modpack.

List of changes
** Version 3.02 Basic (Beyond the Sword v3.13) **
- Fixed Greek Axeman art path
- Updated BUG Mod to version 2.22
- Updated Taharqa to new version by Mourndraken
- Updated Dido to new version by Refar (based on work by C Roland)

** Version 3.01 Basic (Beyond the Sword v3.13) **
- Fixed audio problem involving Audio3DScripts.xml
- Fixed error with ARTSTYLE_MESO_AMERICA in CIV4CityLSystem.xml
- Fixed error with ARTSTYLE_WEST_EUROPEAN in CIV4PlotLSystem.xml
- Changed Canada's city ArtStyle to European (thanks Fierabras for catching the error)
- Changed Pirates city ArtStyle to European
- Added more units to Siam Unit ArtStyle
- Added Modern Asia City ArtStyle by GarretSidzaka
- Added Modern Europe City ArtStyle
- Added Fantasy city set by Hrochland
- Updated BUG Mod to v2.21
- Added Greek Axeman (for when playing as Troy)
- Added more Hyboria ArtStyle units by StrategyOnly and FFH2 Team
- Removed duplicate cities from Scythian list (thanks JEELEN)
- Fixed Peltast name
- Fixed error with Magyar Heavy Horseman unit art
- Fixed error with Canada Chariot unit art
- Fixed Aesir Flag
- Fixed Hyboria Flag
- Fixed Assyria Flag
- Fixed icon for German Maceman/Heavy Footman
- Fixed icon for Armenia Fedayee
- Added Amra version info to Civilopedia Game Concepts
- Added new Main Menu screen
- Fixed icon for Hyborian Maceman/Heavy Footman
- Changed Aesir Unit ArtStyle to Viking (Doh!)
- Tweaked various Derivative civs in CivilizationInfos.xml
- Changed Cuirassier strategy text to reflect VD name change
- Fixed Franz Joseph Icon
- Added Taharqa as 2nd Nubian Leader (LH art by Mourndraken/XML by CIV Gold Team)
- Added 4 Babylonian modern units by Zerver
- Added 4 Cartahge modern units by Zerver
- Added 4 Magyar modern units by Zerver
- Added 4 Roman modern units by Zerver
- Added 3 Israel modern units by Zerver
- Added Celtic Maceman by Bakuel
- Added 12 Ethiopian units by Bakuel
- Added African Unit ArtStyle (based on previous Ethiopian one by Avain)
- Added 6 Mali units by Bakuel
- Added Israel Unit Artstyle
- Fixed Siam Knight

Great mod.
Do you think to include Dales Combat Mod? i think it's a good mod.

Bye
Thanks. I've had a few requests to do that & to merge it with the Revolution mod so I am looking at merging it with the RevolutionDCM mod found HERE.

My modding time has been limited lately but I plan on trying to merge things together this week & then do some testing before posting it.

I'm sure kwarriorpoet will be happy to help test, right? :D

Thanks. I've had a few requests to do that & to merge it with the Revolution mod so I am looking at merging it with the RevolutionDCM mod found HERE.

My modding time has been limited lately but I plan on trying to merge things together this week & then do some testing before posting it.

Sounds great!:thumbsup: (After the release of this merger I expect to have some time to add a scenario or two.);)

Top Bottom