[BtS] Anno Domini 1000

Bolloggfisch

Chieftain

by Bolloggfisch

Anno Domini 1000: While America is quite sparsely populated yet and high cultures merely exist in Central America, villages of European kingdoms slowly emerge as big centers of wealth and trade. However at the same time innumerable hordes of vikings leave Scandinavia to plunder defenceless villages and monasteries, mainly in Britain, since Sweyn I "Forkbeard", king of such hordes, namely the Danes and Norsemen, is about to capture England.
Meanwhile, though the Byzantine emperor Basil II already has to fight in the Balkans against the Bulgars, the Byzantine Empire, follower of the once mightest Roman Empire, suddenly faces Seljuq and Fatimid horsemen in the East. But also in Iberia christian kings oppose the oriental threat and seek to conquer the Umayyad Caliphate, therefore the Reconquista has begun. Nevertheless also the islamic caliphates, like the Fatimids, Umayyads and Bujids are at odds among each other, the Ghaznavids, who recently converted to the Islam, actually are at war with the latter.
In the Far East the Liao dynasty stand up to the mighty Song, while in the North horse-riding tribes are about to unify to mess up the present proportion of power in Eurasia.
What civilization will emerge victorious from this time of change, perpetuate its name, affront every threat and stand up to its envier? Time will tell it...

Download Version 1.0

This is my first mod, so I don't have a lot of experience in making them, but, well, everybody starts small. :) As the title says, it's a mod about the Medieval Ages, precisely, about the year 1000 AD. I know there are a lot of scenarios with similar settings, like Navy Seal's great 1000 AD and the Medieval Age, but maybe there are some people out there, who aren't bored yet to play in the Medieval Age. :)

As my humble self is from Austria, I didn't translate the new civilopedia-entries (of the new civs, leaders, units etc.) in English, French, Italian or Spanish, but only German yet. Nevertheless I translated everything else, names of civs, leaders, units, buildings, cities etc., so that you actually can play my scenario in any language, you want ... so if you select for example French you wouldn't have a mixture of French and German, but no civilopedia-entries about the new civs, leaders etc.

The changes I made for my mod are particularly xml-changes, as I cannot programm with Python. Therefore my only goal was to make a scenario, with a preferably historical initial situation, since the AI doesn't want to play historical and besides that the scenario should allow the player to change history.

Attachments

• Byzantine Empire.jpg
    Byzantine Empire.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 20,642
  • China.jpg
    China.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 19,693
  • Central America.jpg
    Central America.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 19,240
  • Fatimids.jpg
    Fatimids.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 18,952
  • Eastern Europe.jpg
    Eastern Europe.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 19,203
  • chola.jpg
    chola.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 19,085
  • Ghaznavids.jpg
    Ghaznavids.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 18,635
  • Iberia.jpg
    Iberia.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 18,758
  • Western Europe.jpg
    Western Europe.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 18,529
  • vikings.jpg
    vikings.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 18,520
well I'm new to this forum ... do I have to do anything special, so that everyone can download it, or do I just have to wait until the file is no longer in the moderation queue?

You might send a PM to a Moderator (say, woodelf) to speed things up. BTW, nice screenshots!:goodjob:

Looks nice, a few things I noticed about the scenario:
Spain wasnt fighting the Ummayad Caliphate, it was either the Caliphate of Cordoba or another name that I can remember right now.
England shouldnt have longbows. They can have the tech, but at this time England was firmly Anglo-Saxon and primarily used militia in shieldwalls.
Germany shouldnt control Italy. The german monarchs spent most of their time in Italy trying to rule it. You might want to add the Normans in Scicily and Southern Italy or the Byzantines. They still conrolled most of Scicilly and Southern Italy.
You might want to rename Hungary to Bulgaria, only a minor thing that is personal prefrence.

Other than that it looks nice.

Hi Ajidica , thanks for your feedback, I'll certainly consider your suggestion for the next version. :)

Spain wasnt fighting the Ummayad Caliphate, it was either the Caliphate of Cordoba or another name that I can remember right now.

The Caliphate of Cordoba was founded by an Umayyad prince, and because of that I just named the caliphate of Cordoba Umayyad Caliphate, but you are right, I should rename it to Caliphate of Cordoba, so in the next version this will be fixed. :)

England shouldnt have longbows. They can have the tech, but at this time England was firmly Anglo-Saxon and primarily used militia in shieldwalls.
Germany shouldnt control Italy. The german monarchs spent most of their time in Italy trying to rule it. You might want to add the Normans in Scicily and Southern Italy or the Byzantines. They still conrolled most of Scicilly and Southern Italy.

Yes, but the map is quite small and I thought it would make no sense to add the Normans, since there'snot enough space in Italy, but I'll think about it.

You might want to rename Hungary to Bulgaria, only a minor thing that is personal prefrence.

Well actually there is already a civ called Bulgaria. They're controlling Dyrrachium, Belgrade and Varna.

Debatable: officially, the HRE's border ran across Italy, excluding the Papal State. Unoffically if an Emperor elect wanted to be actually crowned, he had to go to the pope in Rome (following Charlemagne's example, who had recognized authority of the bishop of Rome over the "Patrimonia Petri" in exchnage for the imperial crown).

In 1000 AD, large portions of S Italy were still Byzantine. By 1070 AD however, they had been largely replaced by Normans (mostly noble sons without prospect of inheriting land), who had travelled south; unlike the Byzantines they accepted Rome's suzerainty. (I'm simplifying somewhat.)

Anyway, as the file is still in moderation qeue (meaning a Moderator hasn't actually seen it yet), you can make any changes you like and re-upload.;)

@JEELEN: I am not that familiar with the political situation in italy with the Germans. You appear to know more than me so I take your word.
@Bollogfisch:I dont see any civ called bulgaria on the screenshot you have of the civs.

DL Page reads: This file is in the moderation queue, meaning a Moderator still needs to approve it.

@Bollogfisch: Actually, a mention in the Sticky: New/Updated Files thread might also be appropriate.

@Bollogfisch:I dont see any civ called bulgaria on the screenshot you have of the civs.

This is because on the screenshot and in the civilopedia there're only the playable civs, while I've also made a few non-playable, minornationcivs, like for example the Bulgarians, Sri Vijaya or Kara-Khanid Khanate. So the Bulgarians are a non-playable, barbarian-like civ, but you can see them on this screenshot.;)

I'll take a look to.
@JEELEN: what does your location say? I know it is dutch, but beyond that I dont know. It doesnt sound like a place.

At (Bij) the (de) gates (poorten) of (van) Leiden. Leyden (medieval spelling) University was founded in 1584 by Willem van Oranje, specifically as a protestant university and the first university of the republic of the United Provinces, i.e. the Netherlands. Today a small city with about 100,000 inhabitants, Leiden was a major centre of cloth industry in the 17th century, to which many protestants fled - notably French Huguenots. It was also the first place where Rembrandt was active as a painter, before he moved to Amsterdam.

Here are my initial impressions:
Like the ethic art.
You have it spelt 'Bulgarian Khanat', I think you forgot the e.
The Suljuk stack should be outside Byzantine Borders and the Seljuks should rule Armenia.
Perhaps give Cataphracts a higher strength becasue Hungarian armoured Troups refused to fight against Byzantine Cataphracts due to the Byzantine Cataphracts useing the Siderobardia mace, roughly a meter lond weighing 20 pounds.
remane Pikemen into something else or have Byzantium sstart with Heavy Infantry instead. Pikemen were a later medieval unit.
Move Gunpowder back much later. It is available way to early.
Make civ colors less dark. It is hard to read some of the leader names on the scoreboard.

Those are my initial impression. It is a nice mod.

Move Gunpowder back much later. It is available way to early.
Make civ colors less dark. It is hard to read some of the leader names on the scoreboard.

Don't know about Gunpowder; unless you start researching it immediately (which I think I couldn't or didn't, because of the research time), I don't think it's a problem. (BTW, the Chinese used some type of Cannon around 1280 AD, which the Mongols quickly made use of in city siege warfare.)

I agree some leader names are hard to read.

Noticed Maaram (on Java); should be Mataram.

Play result so far (as the HRE):
- France took Brest from the Vikings on turn 1 (a bit weird, because the Normans conquering England in 1066 AD were actually vassals to the king of France)
- Bulgaria did pretty good, but got destroyed between Byzantium and Kiev Rus around 1550 AD
- Poland did better, taking Novgorod quite soon from Kiev Rus and getting quite advanced (the only civ I've traded a tech with)
- Spain captured Lisbon sometime in the 15th century (pretty accurate)
- managed to sail around the world first and founded a colony in S America by 1550 AD (my Caravel was attacked twice by Polynesian vessels - luckily I'd built a Shipyard first to give it a promotion first).

I like the many preplaced barbarian cities around the world, which, apart from Bactria in S America seem historically accurate.

As I haven't finished playing yet, I won't give an overall impression at this point, but it seems fun to play.;)

Top Bottom