• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[BTS] MarnzMod

In my recent game i couldn´t construct the shinti holy temple
in the founder citywith a great prophet

You should make a big pack so people doesnt have to download 4 different files.

The World Map seems fine ! :goodjob:

To Ripple : it was a few hyperbolic/exagerated my terms of comparison... :)

I have posted a new patch.

MarnzMod v1.8c

Prophets can now build shrines for new religions.
Reduced scale for Hellenic monastery.
Increased scale of Shinto buildings.
Changed Goths short description to Gotland.

@Hangly Man
You make valid points. The Torii would be better as a flavour monument for japanese. However, no artwork for those temples currently exist. I could make a request in the graphics forum but would need more detailed photos.

@Ionopachys
I did nothing to make AI smarter. :confused:
I thought about using SoZ for Hellenic shrine. I'm not sure I want to mess with original wonders.

@Zuul
Is it a real big pain to download 3 files. Don't count patch, I don't think you'd want to download whole mod for every small change. And don't count rapidshare, as full mod is too big for it.

I have posted a new patch.

MarnzMod v1.8c

You make valid points. The Torii would be better as a flavour monument for japanese. However, no artwork for those temples currently exist. I could make a request in the graphics forum but would need more detailed photos.

What kind of graphic are you looking for, i had both Wonder Movie and building graphic for this in my Japanese MOD?

For now I'll leave it as is. OT represnts public speaking as an artform rather than ability to just tell stories.

Technically speaking, rhetoric and oration are the artforms; oral tradition specifically refers to the religious discipline of cultural transmission (folklore, if you will) -- aka storytelling (passing on the myths and legends of a culture). For academic study in this field, see The Sacred Canopy by Peter L. Berger, Anatomy of the Sacred by James C. Livingston, or Comparative Religion by Eric J. Sharpe. If you want to add a new tech such as Rhetoric (to differentiate the public speaking artform), that would be cool, too. ;)

Now, given that this is just a game, obviously you can do whatever you like with the mod (which is really great). I'm just a fan. So I hope my input only helps you. And yes, where ideas or input won't help, just disregard. :)

If it helps simplify the religious aspect, what about created a single tech such as "Indigenous Religion" or "Folk Religion" that is required before researching a "world religion"? Thus, instead of creating all kinds of new religions, new unique builds, new units and so forth, they can be grouped together (like Hellenism is the indigenous religion of Greece and Amun-Ra is the indigenous religion of Egypt and Shinto is the indigenous religion of Japan). And if you're feeling industrious, each nation could found only one indigenous religion unique to its nation (which it can spread), but with a culturally specific unit/building (like Druidism of the Celts or Norse of the Vikings or Jupiter cults of Rome or Great Spirit of the Native American tribes or Yaruba of the African tribes). Well, obviously such an idea will take some tweaking, but . . . well, there it is anyway.

You'll have to thank the developers of BUG mod for nation name in the scoreboard.

Ok. I couldn't find what was included in the BUG mod. It was listed among your new additions, but no specifics on what it was. But thanks for including it; its really nice.

A feature introduced in BTS was the ability to liberate colonies. In your games an AI must be liberating its overseas colonies creating new civs.

I've been playing Pangea maps and recently switched to Big and Small. Thanks for the explanation. That helps. :)

I have encountered one bug: great prophets cannot build shrines for the new religions. The buttons for the new shrines don't even show up.

This happened to me, too.

Changed Goths short description to Gotland.

Can you do the same for "The Scots" to make them "Scotland"? :D

I did nothing to make AI smarter.

I have to agree. The AI does seem smarter with this mod. Whether intentional or accidental, its working great! (Sometimes a little too great :eek: )

Anyway, I hope none of the above is offensive. I really like this mod and all the work you've put into it. Keep up the good work! :D

thanks for the new stuff

having a problem with the bug mod though. can't get rid of the flashing message about the bug options " CTRL-ALT-O ". when i hit CTRL-ALT-O the options tab comes up, but any changes i make don't take. tried changing the section's for the changes i'd like(actual time clock, research name not icon in score, and to disable that flashing option message) in bug ini file to make the changes, but that doesn't seem to work either.

thanks for any help

Hi Marnz I downloaded this today and it looks fantastic, I can't wait to play it. Thanks very much

I did notice that all the gunpowder units require sulpher though which I thought was a bit extreme because it means anyone who doesn't have it is stuck with longbowmen/macemen etc until mechanized infantry!
Maybe you should include a lifeline unit that doesnt require sulpher or a building that gives access to sulpher (artificial synthesis of gunpowder).

Also I'd like to ask how easy is it to tweak the tech requirements for units? I personally really like the sail ships (especially privateers) so I want to move these ships to gunpowder instead of chemistry and I want to delay paddle steamers (to steel and steam engine) and airships (to aeronautics) for my own personal gaming.
I've never tweaked civ 4 files so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers for all your work on this

What kind of graphic are you looking for, i had both Wonder Movie and building graphic for this in my Japanese MOD?

Hangly Man suggested replacing torii as a shrine with Ise Jingu. See post #339.

@Rone

I meant in regards to this mod, OT represents public speaking. Perhaps I shouldv've named it rhetoric or oration. ;)

Your religions idea might simplify art modding, but i'm not sure it would simplify overall modding. I do have a code that limits the founding of a religion if it controls a Holy City but decided it wasn't needed. Its always good to here new ideas. :)

BUG - BTS Unaltered Gameplay. It provides many screen enhancements. You can check their thread here. BUG

Prophet bug fixed. :D

Scotland it shall be.

Maybe giving the AI greater access to religions has an effect on their play. :)

thanks for the new stuff

having a problem with the bug mod though. can't get rid of the flashing message about the bug options " CTRL-ALT-O ". when i hit CTRL-ALT-O the options tab comes up, but any changes i make don't take. tried changing the section's for the changes i'd like(actual time clock, research name not icon in score, and to disable that flashing option message) in bug ini file to make the changes, but that doesn't seem to work either.

thanks for any help

Try making the changes in MarnzMod.ini. Does anyone else have problems with the options screen?

Hi Marnz I downloaded this today and it looks fantastic, I can't wait to play it. Thanks very much

I did notice that all the gunpowder units require sulpher though which I thought was a bit extreme because it means anyone who doesn't have it is stuck with longbowmen/macemen etc until mechanized infantry!
Maybe you should include a lifeline unit that doesnt require sulpher or a building that gives access to sulpher (artificial synthesis of gunpowder).

Also I'd like to ask how easy is it to tweak the tech requirements for units? I personally really like the sail ships (especially privateers) so I want to move these ships to gunpowder instead of chemistry and I want to delay paddle steamers (to steel and steam engine) and airships (to aeronautics) for my own personal gaming.
I've never tweaked civ 4 files so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers for all your work on this

Usually there is enough sulphur on the map. I havn't noticed it being a problem. If it does become a problem, I can add a building similar to the rubber factory that produces rubber.

Changing tech requirements is pretty simple. Open MarnzMod/Assets/XML/Units/CIV4UnitInfos.XML with notepad. Find the unit you want to change. The tech requirement will be listed like this: <PrereqTech>TECH_TECHNAME</PrereqTech>. Below this is another tag if the unit has multiple tech requirements in addition to the first:

<TechTypes>
<PrereqTech>TECH_THE_WHEEL</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>
<PrereqTech>NONE</PrereqTech>
</TechTypes>

Public Speaking . . . yes, that's a huge category. Now that I understand what you are aiming for, it makes sense. If you want to get specific, you could include such variations as: Rhetoric, Oration, Prose, Declination, Broadcasting, Poetry (yes, it was originally spoken before being written), or even plain storytelling. Oral Tradition has religious connotations as many indigenous cultures shared their "sacred stories" verbally long before a written edition existed. However, given how complex Public Speaking can be, you might want to just call it Public Speaking and move on. I know I would. :)

Oh, yeah. On my previous ideas a few posts back, I tracked down a few mods that might help.

1) CivChooser lets you customize your own leader at the start up screen. This might help save time instead of trying to design one alone.

2) War Doctrines -- I saw something similar in Total Realism mod (for Warlords). It allowed cultures to "specialize" their military (like the Mongols already with a mounted special unit and able to pick up "Nomadic War Doctrine" to give new mounted units an extra XP). They even had little icons for each of the XP doctrines as well (looked fairly neat).

Anyway, hope that helps. Thanks for the link to BUG. And sorry the religion idea won't work out. Oh well. No biggie. :p

Hangly Man suggested replacing torii as a shrine with Ise Jingu. See post #339.

Well i guess in a way he is correct, but its the meaning of the Torii thats why everyone uses it:

Wiki: Torii mark the transition from the sacred (the shrine) to the profane (the normal world).

Reason being there are SO many shrines, and too so many different people, just hard to pick one so they use the Torii as a representation, i guess.:rolleyes:

bmarnz, sorry i wasn't clear earlier. had tried editing the bugmod section of the marnzmod ini before i posted earlier.

i did get rid of the flashing ctr-alt-o message that was annoying me. in MarnzMod\Assets\Python\BUG\Options there's a file named BugScreensOptions.py i deleted the first section beginning -
self.addOption(Option("Main_OptionsKey"
"Screens", "Options Shortcut Reminder", True,
"Options Shortcut Reminder",
"When checked, displays a message about Ctrl-Alt-O when a game is started or loaded.",InterfaceDirtyBits.GameData_DIRTY_BIT))
-end from it and that fixed my little problem.

i can live without being able to change the other things i mentioned

really wanted to at least get rid of that flashing message, cause the bug mod addition is very nice.

thanks again for all your time and effort

I have posted a full download through FileFront only.

I have also posted a new patch. :crazyeye:

MarnzMod v1.8d

Changed costs of new religious buildings to be equal with standard religions.
Changed The Scotts short description to Scotland.

@psob2
Glad you got that part figured out. When I first merged BUG into the mod I had similar problem. That flashing message was annoying. :)

Usually there is enough sulphur on the map. I havn't noticed it being a problem. If it does become a problem, I can add a building similar to the rubber factory that produces rubber.

That almost makes it pointless as a resource though - and I like the re-addition of sulphur as a prereq to guns in the game.

I did catch a civ with no sulphur in my last game. He fell easily.

Perhaps move it a tech or two earlier, to ensure that if civs need it they can push for it before gunpowder becomes a huge issue? Engineering, Fortification, guilds stood out as reasonable places to put it that made some sort of thematic sense. Ideally it'd be around where paper is but that wouldn't make any sense.

Does a building that produces Rubber for instance only produce enough for that one city or your whole civ, can it be made to produce only enough for that one city, similar to the synthetic oil Germany had to produce during WWII they couldn't produce enough to drive their whole economy.

That almost makes it pointless as a resource though - and I like the re-addition of sulphur as a prereq to guns in the game.

I did catch a civ with no sulphur in my last game. He fell easily.

Perhaps move it a tech or two earlier, to ensure that if civs need it they can push for it before gunpowder becomes a huge issue? Engineering, Fortification, guilds stood out as reasonable places to put it that made some sort of thematic sense. Ideally it'd be around where paper is but that wouldn't make any sense.

So far I think it's been well balanced. You're likely to get sulphur, but not guaranteed. :)

Does a building that produces Rubber for instance only produce enough for that one city or your whole civ, can it be made to produce only enough for that one city, similar to the synthetic oil Germany had to produce during WWII they couldn't produce enough to drive their whole economy.

The building produces enough for your civ. I'd tried to limit the amount you'd have to trade by limiting rubber factories to 1 for every 5 factories.

The only way to limit rubber on a city by city basis would be to tie it in with a corporation. But then one civ would have control over who has acces to the rubber. The same could be said about the oil corp. But in this mod rubber is harder to find on the map than oil.

Top Bottom