[BtS] "Mars, Now!"

I'm sorry to say there was no difference...although I'm curious, why is this mod referencing a Civ4 file?

Well, I suppose it might not have been updated in BTS, but it's still curious. Either way, I copied the file to the right spot and it still didn't work.

Of course, it could be that CvEventInterface.py isn't what's causing this problem...I couldn't make sense of the file when I opened it anyway. I guess I just don't know python.

Well, in any event, here's the logs again.

By the way, I think these errors might be the most important. They're the ones I see on starting a new game.

Code:
Traceback (most recent call last):

File "<string>", line 1, in ?

File "<string>", line 52, in load_module

File "CvGameInterface", line 14, in ?

File "<string>", line 52, in load_module

File "CvGameInterfaceFile", line 11, in ?

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'CvGameUtils'
Failed to load python module CvGameInterface.
Code:

File "CvAppInterface", line 70, in preGameStart

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'showTechChooser'
Code:

File "CvAppInterface", line 47, in onSave

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'onEvent'
Course, that's just my opinion...I don't know python. If they're anything like the XML errors I've seen though, there may be some missing tags in these files. When Civ can't find the tags it refuses to load the file and goes back to core files...but that's with XML, I don't know if it's different with python.

Attachments

• Tssha's Logs (CvEventInterface).zip
    41.7 KB · Views: 137
Started a new game on the 18 civ Mars map, with the Mars-Colonists. Noticed some more stuff:

- sometimes, when entering a Sandstorm, a red blob appears, and stays there for some time after I move on
- "Fire has raged through a forest near the city..." (Event; should probably read "A sandstorm is [dis]appearing near the city..." or something0
- Mercernary => Mercenary.

Keep it up!;)

PatchA
Will break savegames!
Changes:
- fixed internal, mod-related graphic-bug. I hope, this will lead to less CtDs.
- Units and buildings in city will not dissappear.
- No more grafical unit-doubling with pioneer-tanks and scouts.
- Improvements are changed: Now all improvements (beside water improvements) can be build on every terrain (besides other restrictions, like fresh water or flat lands)
- 3 Python errors fixed
- Some text-changes
- Civilopedia-background-text for "genetic control"
- 3 short texts in the concepts-section
- Quests and 2 Events deactivated
- 3 new buildings models by JustATourist added
- Windturbines have now the correct animations
- new city-list for japan and china (from the civ2 mars szenario; thanks Jeelen)
- fixed satelites and assasins

No new content, no new strategy-texts, i'm sorry.

I'm sorry to say there was no difference...although I'm curious, why is this mod referencing a Civ4 file?

That's totally normal. Every mod is referencing BtS-files, and if there's no such file in BtS, it references Vanilla.
But i looked into the log, and there's no difference, it doesn't read the new file.

Next thought: One of my components tries to read a path from the registry, but steam-versions have different keys.
So, what to do: start -> execute (?, the 3. thing, under help and support) -> regedit.
Then search for "Beyond The Sword" and make a screenshot like this:

DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING HERE!

Started a new game on the 18 civ Mars map, with the Mars-Colonists. Noticed some more stuff:

- sometimes, when entering a Sandstorm, a red blob appears, and stays there for some time after I move on

What? Screenshot? Does a unit appear or soemthing else?
Red blobs mean missing art files (i'm sure, you know that), but there are no artfiles missing.

- "Fire has raged through a forest near the city..." (Event; should probably read "A sandstorm is [dis]appearing near the city..." or something0
- Mercernary => Mercenary.

Keep it up!;)

1. Fixed.
2. Changed.
...and thanks :).

PatchA
Will break savegames!
Changes:
- fixed internal, mod-related graphic-bug. I hope, this will lead to less CtDs.
- Units and buildings in city will not dissappear.
- No more grafical unit-doubling with pioneer-tanks and scouts.
- Improvements are changed: Now all improvements (beside water improvements) can be build on every terrain (besides other restrictions, like fresh water or flat lands)
- 3 Python errors fixed
- Some text-changes
- Civilopedia-background-text for "genetic control"
- 3 short texts in the concepts-section
- 3 new buildings models by JustATourist added
- Windturbines have now the correct animations
- new city-list for japan and china (from the civ2 mars szenario; thanks Jeelen)
- fixed satelites and assasins

Good show.:goodjob:

What? Screenshot? Does a unit appear or soemthing else?
Red blobs mean missing art files (i'm sure, you know that), but there are no artfiles missing.

That's the odd thing: apart from the red blob, nothing appears (as I described). If it happens again, I'll make a screenshot or two.

BTW, just wondering: Why only new city lists for Japan and China? (If you prefix "New" to a lot of existing city names, they'll fit the Mars setting better.)

There was a random names mod I used a long time ago that generated cool city names by assembling component syllables and adding suffixes like -ton, -burg, etc... I think I still have it if you need.

Yea, no interface. Could it be a problem with steam?

...great. One incident is a point, two points make a line. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Of course, we'd need a third point of data to be...somewhat more sure than I am now. Still, it's more information than we had before...whether it's accurate or not, I'm just glad people are speaking up. ;)

Also, before I forget, with the Mars colonist faction, the proper english for the adjective is Martian, not marsian. Yeah, unintuitive, I know...english is weird. :lol:

Two small things that I dislike in what's wotherwise a lot of fun:
-Hills turning to water. That's so weird. If they really get watery, they should create rivers instead?
-Lots and lots and lots and lots of barbarians. Not strong ones, but having a half-dozen mercenaries enter my boundaries each turn just to get wiped by my infantries is a bit boring. I got the Great Shield to fix that, but it's still a bit of a pain.

That's the odd thing: apart from the red blob, nothing appears (as I described). If it happens again, I'll make a screenshot or two.

Damn, strange :confused:.

BTW, just wondering: Why only new city lists for Japan and China? (If you prefix "New" to a lot of existing city names, they'll fit the Mars setting better.)

Why: Because they where the only fitting lists, which where in the mod. The european city-list has to be a join from different lists, and other countries were not in the civ2 mod.

"New": Yes, i've also thought about that, but all cities with "new" or "mars" seems too monotonous to me.

There was a random names mod I used a long time ago that generated cool city names by assembling component syllables and adding suffixes like -ton, -burg, etc... I think I still have it if you need.

Thanks for the hint :).

But no, i don't want the city-names to be totally random.

Yea, no interface. Could it be a problem with steam?

...great. One incident is a point, two points make a line. I'm sensing a pattern here...

Of course, we'd need a third point of data to be...somewhat more sure than I am now. Still, it's more information than we had before...whether it's accurate or not, I'm just glad people are speaking up. ;)

Yes, it's a problem with the non-standard civ-versions.
A user from the german forum did some changes (on own risk, he didn't ask me), and it worked for him.
I'll bring a patch for the steam-version tomorrow.

Are there other special civ-versions out here?
In europe, there's a version named "civ complete", which also has the problem, i'll bring also a fix here.
Any other versions?

Also, before I forget, with the Mars colonist faction, the proper english for the adjective is Martian, not marsian. Yeah, unintuitive, I know...english is weird. :lol:

Already changed :) (if i'm not wrong...)

edit:

Two small things that I dislike in what's wotherwise a lot of fun:
-Hills turning to water. That's so weird. If they really get watery, they should create rivers instead?

This would make sense, but rivers would not work, because rivers are not plots.
But also a change to normal terrain is not possible at the moment, i can't control it :(.

-Lots and lots and lots and lots of barbarians. Not strong ones, but having a half-dozen mercenaries enter my boundaries each turn just to get wiped by my infantries is a bit boring. I got the Great Shield to fix that, but it's still a bit of a pain.

An other user has also complained about too much barbarians, but i thought, it was a problem with the events.
I'll have a look at it.

Wow I have been away for awhile and I come back to the awsome mod. good job

I really don't like the Holy cities or tying the arrival of some pre existing religions to technologies. I can't help suggesting reading K.S. Robinson's Mars trilogy for ideas about religion/ethnicities and terraforming, and cities names (the book has a few nice names like Burroughs...).
In my opinion, depending on your starting civ, you should start with a religion in your first city (attach religion to settler) and not benefit from holy cities if you keep an Earth religion. You could either switch to a Martian religion later on or find a tech which says for instance Martian Protestantism and lets you build a wonder which turns a christian city into a holy city if it's not set yet, and then use a great prophet to build the shrine and earn money from it. Or something else, actually it doesn't matter.

One possible approach to firing off a "new, native" faith would be the discovery of ancient artifacts buried in the ground. These would be pre-positioned at random on the map much like resources. Improving virgin land (building anything other than a road in the correct space) would evidence such artifact. Finding one of these objects and transporting it to a city would make it possible to found the new religion in that city. Perhaps, some of the more "potent" religions might require several artifacts to be gathered* in the same city before the religion could be founded. Just a thought...

-----------------

(*) Edit -- I could see a nation going to war in order to gather that last holy artifact held by a hated neighbor in order to found that new, amazing religion! :)

Yes, it's a problem with the non-standard civ-versions.
A user from the german forum did some changes (on own risk, he didn't ask me), and it worked for him.
I'll bring a patch for the steam-version tomorrow.

Are there other special civ-versions out here?
In europe, there's a version named "civ complete", which also has the problem, i'll bring also a fix here.
Any other versions?

Sounds good, I can finally test this mod for real:)

CtD again, while walking into a sandstorm :sad:.

I got Civ Gold btw.

I have downloaded PatchA, but still.
Also, i noticed that the ConstructionShip dissapeared while waiting for a pioneer tank to finish being built.

*raises his hand.*

I, too, can see no interface with your mod. :(

I don't use Steam, though.

I really don't like the Holy cities or tying the arrival of some pre existing religions to technologies. ...In my opinion, depending on your starting civ, you should start with a religion in your first city (attach religion to settler) and not benefit from holy cities if you keep an Earth religion. You could either switch to a Martian religion later on or find a tech which says for instance Martian Protestantism and lets you build a wonder which turns a christian city into a holy city if it's not set yet, and then use a great prophet to build the shrine and earn money from it. Or something else, actually it doesn't matter.

If you have a religion that doesn't have a tech requirement it gets randomly assigned to a civ at game start by default in civ. One idea for preexisting religions is to have them require a hidden (0,0) non tradeable tech and give the tech for free to the civilizations you want to have in the running to Found the religion at game start. Thus its like, that civ has the franchise for the religion on Mars. That would just require calling the shrine something different.
Sort of like a trait, so more "earnable" religions would have to be added.

PS. I got a Chariot Quest event immediately followed by a CTD (when I clicked out of the popup). This was before I put in Patch A, but the spoiler doesn't say anything about Events so I would imagine the problem is still there.

No-Interface-Patch for CivComplete
No-Interface-Patch for Steam-Versions

The patches haven't been testet!
This mean's, i don't know, if they work.
If they don't, it will have no negative consequences.
Please report, if they work.

You could introduce some actual Martian names (like you did with the sign posts).;)

Again i have to say: It wasn't me.
The big mars-map with the signs was created by GarretSidzaka.

But good idea, i'll think about it.

Wow I have been away for awhile and I come back to the awsome mod. good job

I really don't like the Holy cities or tying the arrival of some pre existing religions to technologies. I can't help suggesting reading K.S. Robinson's Mars trilogy for ideas about religion/ethnicities and terraforming, and cities names (the book has a few nice names like Burroughs...).
In my opinion, depending on your starting civ, you should start with a religion in your first city (attach religion to settler)

Is one thought for "unique powers" at the moment.

and not benefit from holy cities if you keep an Earth religion.

:hmm: is logical. Is not difficult, can easy be done.

You could either switch to a Martian religion later on or find a tech which says for instance Martian Protestantism and lets you build a wonder which turns a christian city into a holy city if it's not set yet, and then use a great prophet to build the shrine and earn money from it. Or something else, actually it doesn't matter.

One possible approach to firing off a "new, native" faith would be the discovery of ancient artifacts buried in the ground. These would be pre-positioned at random on the map much like resources. Improving virgin land (building anything other than a road in the correct space) would evidence such artifact. Finding one of these objects and transporting it to a city would make it possible to found the new religion in that city. Perhaps, some of the more "potent" religions might require several artifacts to be gathered* in the same city before the religion could be founded. Just a thought...

-----------------

(*) Edit -- I could see a nation going to war in order to gather that last holy artifact held by a hated neighbor in order to found that new, amazing religion! :)

Is maybe difficult to implement, but i'll try it out (when i find some time...).

CtD again, while walking into a sandstorm :sad:.

:hmm: i'll have to see, if the FutureMod by Tolish also crashes, because he uses the same graphics.

I got Civ Gold btw.

Your interface is working?

I have downloaded PatchA, but still.
Also, i noticed that the ConstructionShip dissapeared while waiting for a pioneer tank to finish being built.

It should not. Do you have a savegame?

*raises his hand.*

I, too, can see no interface with your mod. :(

I don't use Steam, though.

Do you have Complete or some other special version?

That's the question :).

If you have a religion that doesn't have a tech requirement it gets randomly assigned to a civ at game start by default in civ. One idea for preexisting religions is to have them require a hidden (0,0) non tradeable tech and give the tech for free to the civilizations you want to have in the running to Found the religion at game start. Thus its like, that civ has the franchise for the religion on Mars. That would just require calling the shrine something different.
Sort of like a trait, so more "earnable" religions would have to be added.

Also interesting, but i would prefer to give an tech-requierement, but free missionaries at the start.

PS. I got a Chariot Quest event immediately followed by a CTD (when I clicked out of the popup). This was before I put in Patch A, but the spoiler doesn't say anything about Events so I would imagine the problem is still there.

I've been a bit short:

The chariot-quest is included.
But i think, there's no connection between the quest and the CtD, it should be a random one.

Whoops sorry, i was just being a total idiot; i installed the patch in the wrong place, in the mods folder instead of the marsjetz folder :blush:.

Top Bottom