BTS: More from Alex Mantzaris

Methos

HoF Quattromaster
Hall of Fame Staff
Retired Moderator
Sam Gibson from playTM talks more with Alex Mantzaris, Lead Designer and Programmer at Firaxis Games on the new expansion.

A summary of details:
  • Warlords expansion: includes some code, specifically the stuff that impacts the core game functionality, but not the Warlords scenarios assets and code.
  • No new resources.
  • The foreign advisory screen (F4) is getting an overhaul.
  • Added considerable content to the modern era. There are new modern technologies like Laser, Superconductor, and Stealth.
  • New buildings include Public Transportation, Industrial Parks, and Levees.
  • New modern units include the Mobile SAM, Mobile Artillery, Tactical Nuke, Attack Submarine, Missile Cruiser, and Stealth Destroyer.
  • The Cristo Redentor Wonder allows you to switch civics without Anarchy.
  • The AI has gotten considerably better at its previous major weakness, which was conducting military operations, especially naval invasions. It is even stronger at managing its economy and it also knows how to use all the new features that were added.
  • There is an all-new spaceship screen, where you can customize the visual appearance of your 3D spaceship.
  • There will be new world-types and some new game options, such as the option to play as any leader-civilization combination, the option to trade away a technology only if you have researched it yourself, and the option to actually choose the religion you found when you discover a technology.
  • The graphics are more polished.
  • In multi-player games now all players on the same team take their turns simultaneously.
  • In Hotseat, you see the movement of any AI players that take their turn between the last human player and you.

Thanks to mjs0 for posting it!

>> Civ4 BtS Info Center
>> Civ4 BtS Screenshots

Thanks Methos. :)

Looks like they have all sorts of domains nowadays. This is the first time I see a .tm domain.

and the option to actually choose the religion you found when you discover a technology

Does this mean we get new religions, or the abilty to choose for example wether you want to found Judaism if you discover Monotheism or not ....?

There is an all-new spaceship screen, where you can customize the visual appearance of your 3D spaceship.

Wow, they surely know which areas need polishing in this game.

I think it means we can found "Islam" instead of "Buddism" at the very beginning.But I'm HOPING there is an option to actually name our own religion. That SHOULD be easy enough for them to impliment since the only thing that changes from one religion to the next is it's name.

Core game code from Warlords included, excellent...! The scens are not included, what a pity. Na, just kidding. Who needs those scenarios? Finally the info I was looking out for.

That SHOULD be easy enough for them to impliment since the only thing that changes from one religion to the next is it's name.

Every religion has a different symbol, and a different set of buildings associated with it, with different construction bonuses, etc. There are a lot of (cosmetic but real) differences other than just the name.

Interesting information, but this caught my eye.

I'm afraid that none of this will happen any time soon. Firaxis does not own the rights to Alpha Centauri.

If Firaxis doesn't own the rights to their second game published, who does?

If Firaxis doesn't own the rights to their second game published, who does?

I'm pretty sure that EA owns the rights.

Of course, Firaxis could do an Alpha Centauri-style game, just with a different name, so I don't really think that the rights are a big issue.

How in the world did EA get Alpha Centauri. I own both SMAC and AC and EA isn't on either of them anywhere that I can see. Could the license problem have something to do with the books that they published for the game?

I'm sure we've had Laser and Stealth as techs before...hehe :p

Strangely I'm more excited about what the modders will do than the actual core expansion. :x

A summary of details:
  • Warlords expansion: includes some code, specifically the stuff that impacts the core game functionality, but not the Warlords scenarios assets and code. Great, saves me a couple of bucks
  • No new resources. No big deal
  • The foreign advisory screen (F4) is getting an overhaul. HOF Mod advisor FTW!
  • Added considerable content to the modern era. There are new modern technologies like Laser, Superconductor, and Stealth. They are needed
  • New buildings include Public Transportation, Industrial Parks, and Levees. Pretty cool
  • New modern units include the Mobile SAM, Mobile Artillery, Tactical Nuke, Attack Submarine, Missile Cruiser, and Stealth Destroyer. See above
  • The Cristo Redentor Wonder allows you to switch civics without Anarchy. No more spiritual?
  • The AI has gotten considerably better at its previous major weakness, which was conducting military operations, especially naval invasions. It is even stronger at managing its economy and it also knows how to use all the new features that were added. Needed
  • There is an all-new spaceship screen, where you can customize the visual appearance of your 3D spaceship. More graphics, whatever
  • There will be new world-types and some new game options, such as the option to play as any leader-civilization combination, the option to trade away a technology only if you have researched it yourself, and the option to actually choose the religion you found when you discover a technology. As long as it's optional
  • The graphics are more polished. NOOOO!
  • In multi-player games now all players on the same team take their turns simultaneously.
  • In Hotseat, you see the movement of any AI players that take their turn between the last human player and you.

what about the palace!? we miss the palace decorating once we achieve a goal for our place, like make a single city, raise population to 100,000 civilians, and so forth.

Warlords expansion: includes some code, specifically the stuff that impacts the core game functionality, but not the Warlords scenarios assets and code.

Again there is a little mistery surrounding warlords.....does includes some code mean all of the single player improvements are in or only parts oft he game?

I dont use scenarios and dont have warlords, I think this is confirming I dont need to buy warlords then and just by BTS.....is that right?

Again there is a little mistery surrounding warlords.....does includes some code mean all of the single player improvements are in or only parts oft he game?

I dont use scenarios and dont have warlords, I think this is confirming I dont need to buy warlords then and just by BTS.....is that right?
It's just like Civ3 Conquests and Play the World. Conquests included all of Play the World except the scenarios stuff. Same case here.

Top Bottom