[BtS] Star Trek Mod

All right, I'll try to take a look at some aspects of it and see what I can do.

A few ideas:

- I can convert part of the sounds/soundtrack from Botf for you if you wish.
- Doing random events is a must. Again, Botf comes in handy here.
- I think we should include several buildings that make resources (for instance you might have a ketrecel white refinery, or a dilithium refinery, as someone suggested).
- We could replace religions in the game with Star Trek religions or some other ideology (exactly what, I don't know right now--maybe pluralism, totalitarianism, etc.?).
- Unique ship names are doable, so we have the USS Enterprise and Yamato for Galaxy-class vessels, and so on.
- I think the colony/vassal system can be tweaked to simulate Botf's minor race membership.

Obviously, I'm thinking in terms of Botf a lot, so I guess it depends on how much you want to reproduce or improve upon it here. Lastly (and I don't know how much you've done with this as of the writing of this post), I think the eras should be balanced evenly, so the original series / first six movies timeframe lasts about as long as TNG-DS9-Voyager era.

Okay, I've actually looked at it now, and I must say I was very impressed, especially by the music. It's great! Can't wait to see what else you're going to do with this soon. I'll try to get it working with Final Frontier's space art and get back to you.

One question: I was thinking about doing a mod that was more of a conversion of BOTF, with an emphasis on the Alpha quadrant civilizations. Do you mind if I use this as a base? It'd be perfect!

Great. Oh, I don't know if you know this, but JeBuS27 is also doing a Star Trek mod and has a few of the ships already done. (He also has already merged the Final Frontier terrain successfully.) He plans to release some of the art and units in modules so that might be of use to you. :)

I figured out the freeze. As this mod did not have any python components, I just copied the Final Frontier python into the mod. Big mistake. Now that the references to Final Frontier traits, buildings, and units are cleaned up from the CvFinalFrontierEvents file, the game no longer freezes. Unfortunately, it is very broken. For some reason, the civs start with a city and not a colony ship like they should. These cities have no buildings or planets and have the great wall texture around them. Build and research times are absurdly long and each civ has a very negative score. The civic screen only has four civic types instead of the five that it should have. I have provided a screenshot and the file in the attachment.

Does anyone know anything? I tried again and again to clean up that file better, but each time except the one attached in the previous post does not remove the freeze. I also don't know why the other problems developed. Right now this seems very dead. It also would be nice if someone with a decent amount of experience of python (which I definitely don't have) to be involved in the project.

All of the problems (I think ;)) you're seeing are due to specific Python code which is designed for Final Frontier. So yeah, in order to clean it up for use in another mod one would have to do a fair bit of work in Python.

Jon

I don't know how to do the space without Final Frontier. I managed to fix the score and great wall problem by changing the map script to correctly add the palace to generated cities. The interface issues were solved when I discovered that the modified screen files don't need to be there for the theme to work properly. However, cleaning up the other files only cause problems. CvSolarSystem.py causes the interface and music to disappear. The only current bugs are the slowness of the city screen, the way the religions in the city bar use the resources pictures, and the fact that planets and stars are not generated by the game.

EDIT: I just noticed that some systems had planets while most did not. Also, the game crashes to the desktop while exiting to the main menu.

Updated! Details are on the download page.

If you look closely in the XML/Misc director, you will find a Civ4CloakingInfos.xml file and a schema for it. Ideally, this is how cloaking technology would be implemented for the mod (it would be so easy to change for scenarios) but unless a SDK person is interested, I don't see it happening.

Ha ha, forgot about Q. Maybe he could hurl a ship to the far side of the galaxy if you misbehave? :whipped:

Just wondering if anyone else has found that they can not build anything on their home planet and that they have zero population on the home planet (I was playing as the Federation in a large universe).

I also found that despite the fact that I was earning 8 gold per turn, my total gold never went above zero.

I downloaded the latest update and installed the "Star Trek" folder under "C:\users\<username>\Documents\My Games\Beyond the Sword\MODS".

Thanks for all the effort on this mod.

Top Bottom