[BTS] The History of Three Kingdoms

This mod is great. I only wish that it had better music (like out of RotK 11 or something.)

One small note: Chang An seems to be immune to seige weapons.

I recommend that your mod have a bit of ancient Chinese music that fit's the vibe of this mod. If you could do that, then this mod be a bit more interesting. It is your choice if you wish to do so or not, but I really like music in a good mod.

- spelling issues like "Riveval" (Revival), "Family Alter" (Family Altar), "Missionary (divide)" (Division) may seem minor, but if they keep popping up, they're quite annoying (I would also suggest replacing the term Missionary with Advocate, which seems more appropriate to a government concept)

- middle and late advances are much too cheap (playing the bigger kingdoms a research rate of 4 turns is quite doable, which means an advance practically every month or so)

- I would suggest replacing the leadernames (for the civs) with actual kingdom names to increase the historical flavour.
Advice taken. Just one thing, there are only 3 'civilizations' in that period, may be 4, had ever formed a kingdom, so the rest 'civilizations' can only be distinguished by their most prominent leader's name.

One small note: Chang An seems to be immune to seige weapons.
Chang An is really hard to bombard, but not entirely impossible. I could be wrong though.

I recommend that your mod have a bit of ancient Chinese music that fit's the vibe of this mod. If you could do that, then this mod be a bit more interesting. It is your choice if you wish to do so or not, but I really like music in a good mod.
See the end of post 35.

Oh wow within a month for the next release! I am truly impress with you and your team's effort. I tried to mod myself and understand the amount of work involved plus the balancing of your regular life. So kudos to you and your team for such dedications and hard work. I'm having fun playing your mod now and look forward to your update.

Are there anything you wish for the players to keep an eye out or anything in general that would be helpful for your team to improve your mod?

Chang An is really hard to bombard, but not entirely impossible. I could be wrong though.

I've hit it with a mix of 15 heavy catapults and trebuchets (with the bombardment promotion) at once, for no effect (not even a 1% drop). The resistance might be too high.

I've hit it with a mix of 15 heavy catapults and trebuchets (with the bombardment promotion) at once, for no effect (not even a 1% drop). The resistance might be too high.

You could try another way to get the city.For example, ues a spy:lol:?

Y
Oh, I thought what 'river' means is not the +1 commerce along river, but the actual water plots that make up the Yellow River and the Yangtze River in scenario maps. If it's the former one, then it should go exactly as you said.

I orginally meant freezing the Yellow and Yangtze, but you're right that its a challenge graphically. Maybe it would need a custom terrain type which is impassable in Spring, Summer and Fall, but allows winter movement.

The Road to War mod changes graphics of squares, changes movement and combat modifiers based on seasons, so there's code somewhere to copy.

I do agree with your prioritization that Heroes should definitely come before weather. Heroes in FFH are a strong part of that mod.

I orginally meant freezing the Yellow and Yangtze, but you're right that its a challenge graphically. Maybe it would need a custom terrain type which is impassable in Spring, Summer and Fall, but allows winter movement.

The Road to War mod changes graphics of squares, changes movement and combat modifiers based on seasons, so there's code somewhere to copy.

I do agree with your prioritization that Heroes should definitely come before weather. Heroes in FFH are a strong part of that mod.

:lol:great idea!

Are there anything you wish for the players to keep an eye out or anything in general that would be helpful for your team to improve your mod?
Just 'feel' when playing. Please 'feel' what's too easy, what's annoying, what's too hard, what's dull, and what you desire. That's the key.

Apart from the graphical challenge, there's a critical problem remaining unresolved. That's the yield of the plot. If the river freezes in winter, it should be an ice plot with no yield. If that's the case, the whole City system and City AI must be adjusted, and I'm not sure if that's worth the effort. Probably we should find some other way to work around this.

By the way, does Road to War has multiple game speed choices, or has only one fixed speed like epic? The speed is also a big deal.

While I love FFH and respect what Kael and the FFH team has done with their Heroes in game, this time, we are taking a radically different approach. First of all, our heroes won't try to beat the entire army on his own very often. And our heroes are 'human', very human.

Edit: reuploaded the file to include the missing TXT_KEY... xml file.

For those of you who find it hard to relate to the Chinese names and remember who is who on the trade table, here's an alternative dll which will show the leader's button along side of his name on the trade screen, as well as us the civ's color for the leader names in the mouse-over help text.

Download Here

How to use: extract the zip file, take the CvGameCoreDll.dll file inside it and put it in Mods\Sanguo Mod\Assets\, to overwrite the old dll.

Screenshot:

Very nice diplo screen.:goodjob: Will it be included in the next version?

Another suggestion might be to increase the number of Plains tiles on the map significantly as it particularly favours the larger civs (pop sizes approaching 20 after 100 turns of gameplay and the related research rate mentioned earlier).

EDIT: (Forgot to mention: ) The City List screen (F1) doesn't list Espionage per city.

Apart from the graphical challenge, there's a critical problem remaining unresolved. That's the yield of the plot. If the river freezes in winter, it should be an ice plot with no yield. If that's the case, the whole City system and City AI must be adjusted, and I'm not sure if that's worth the effort. Probably we should find some other way to work around this.

I'm not sure that adjusting the yield is needed. Assume the yield is averaged out across the seasons or it gets too complex. The interesting part for gameplay is change in movement. Will hordes of invaders come across the ice, should you send non-reinforceable army across the ice?

stmartin, I just wanted to say this is an amazing piece of work. I am loving every minute spent playing it. I just wish I had more free minutes.
It is also making me want to bust out the NES and play through Destiny of an Emperor again.

Very nice diplo screen.:goodjob: Will it be included in the next version?

Another suggestion might be to increase the number of Plains tiles on the map significantly as it particularly favours the larger civs (pop sizes approaching 20 after 100 turns of gameplay and the related research rate mentioned earlier).

EDIT: (Forgot to mention: ) The City List screen (F1) doesn't list Espionage per city.

Sure it will be included in the next version. More plains may be one way to mitigate the research rate problem but let's find some more options. F1 screen are customizable, you can click on a button at the bottom row to do that.

I'm not sure that adjusting the yield is needed. Assume the yield is averaged out across the seasons or it gets too complex. The interesting part for gameplay is change in movement. Will hordes of invaders come across the ice, should you send non-reinforceable army across the ice?

Interesting. Although that didn't seems to happen a lot in history. In winter warlords at that time generally won't start a war.

stmartin, I just wanted to say this is an amazing piece of work. I am loving every minute spent playing it. I just wish I had more free minutes.
It is also making me want to bust out the NES and play through Destiny of an Emperor again.

Is it THAT good? Totally flattered! :)

downloading now, this is a really neat idea.

What speed/difficulty is reccomended?

I love the idea of an emperor mechanic in the game. I could see how the HRE could be introduced into a game using some clever mechanics as well! controlling the "Electorate"

I have tried with Lu Bu for many times only to find it nearly impossible to survive Cao Cao's unstoppable first wave attack. I would seriously suggest you guys to add 2 or 3 swift riders to Lu Bu. This won't change the difficult situation dramatically, but will certainly provide some opportunities.

downloading now, this is a really neat idea.

What speed/difficulty is reccomended?

I love the idea of an emperor mechanic in the game. I could see how the HRE could be introduced into a game using some clever mechanics as well! controlling the "Electorate"

Speed...Epic. Difficulty...pick whatever suit you and your leader. What are HRE and electorate?

I have tried with Lu Bu for many times only to find it nearly impossible to survive Cao Cao's unstoppable first wave attack. I would seriously suggest you guys to add 2 or 3 swift riders to Lu Bu. This won't change the difficult situation dramatically, but will certainly provide some opportunities.

You probably have found out there's already opportunities. Playing as him you have to attack, attack, attack, even if you are outnumbered and defending yourself.

Here's a little update on what we have been doing in the past weeks: the recruit and combat module of the hero system. Screenshot:

The next release if expected to be done in around 3 weeks from now.

THX for you nice Mod and you hard work :)

I find a par problem with links in Civilopedia:
- CHENG DU : links to The Dujiang Dam and Temple of Cho-KO-Liang dont work. Idont know what Great Wonders i need to build for CHENG DU.
Edit: one i find Dujiangyang Irigation System + need 1 Silk
-LUO YANG : link to The TianLu Academy. Not a problem, i find that ist the Great Wonders The TianLU Library.
-XU CHANG : links to Chancellor Building dont work. Ist the Imperial Court?
-YE : Link Tongque Pavillion dont work. I know ist Tongque Platform.

Again thx a lot. Have a nice day

Top Bottom