[BTS Total Mod] Thomas' War

Well, thx for the praise.:)

As for startdate, I used Notepad to set the startdate for 1066 Ad for BtS to exactly 1066 AD. You can open a WBS (which is basically what a scenario is) with Notepad or any other text editor and adjust the startdate to your liking, then save as WBS again (not as txt file, as that will be useless). Hope that helps, cheers. ;)

tchristensen,

thanks for the advice. I've already added a building and two wonders, and so far it still works ok. However I tried making a unit and that didn't work, but I'll keep at it and I'm sure it'll work for me soon.

Did you use XML for the sea lane or Python? Yes please, I would be interested in seeing the XML you used:goodjob:.

I used just XML to work all my miracles in the game -- I have tried python but I am simply not a programmer. The XML for my sea lanes is rather lengthy but if you download the mod and poke around (do a search for sealanes) you will find a slew of different XML files that I modified -- still not 100 percent happy with them but they are a nice addition to the game.

I dunno if people still post on this forum, but I need some help getting the animated leader heads and wonder movies to work. I extracted the files to c:, program files, firaxis games, civilization 4, beyond the sword, mods, thomas war

Nothing's changed. Any suggestions?

1. Check options menu on startup before loading Thomas' War see if 'show movies' is selected
2. I found that you have to have the right version of BTS for Thomas' War to work properly so check your version and what they are asking. I couldn't show the proper screens until that was done. Download the proper version of BTS.

Good luck! By-the-way, have you tried Rise of Mankind latest version? Wow! I play that a lot more for an enjoyable trek through time. Thomas' War does have the best AI though for harder battles and victories.

Does Thomas' War work with the 3.19 patch? Most other mods require it, and I'm afraid that if I install it, Thomas' War will stop working. Is there a way to switch between patches? Or will Thomas war be fine with 3.19? Thx!

1. Check options menu on startup before loading Thomas' War see if 'show movies' is selected
2. I found that you have to have the right version of BTS for Thomas' War to work properly so check your version and what they are asking. I couldn't show the proper screens until that was done. Download the proper version of BTS.

Good luck! By-the-way, have you tried Rise of Mankind latest version? Wow! I play that a lot more for an enjoyable trek through time. Thomas' War does have the best AI though for harder battles and victories.

RoM freezes when I install it, so it doesn't sit very high in my mod ratings:thumbsdown:

So I don't know if this was pointed out on the thread before but did anyone else know there appears to be a more recent version of Thomas' War up on Atomic Gamer?

I had re-formatted my computer and had to re-download the mod. I knew that the mod was hosted on Atomic Gamer (because it always had annoyingly long queues to download) and just decided to search for the mod there figuring it would be just as quick as searching on civfanatics. The search function actually comes up with several versions of Thomas' War and a bunch of Thomas' War files, including this one:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/87630/thomas-war-civ-iv-mod-final

from August 2010!

The description has it labeled as the final(-ish) release of the mod? I downloaded it, it works, it has a lot of stuff not present in the current download. It's even updated to the latest patch! The only things I noticed: 1) It's a big file, about 1 gig, because it only has animated leaderheads and movies (no static); 2) It has no scenarios or custom maps; 3) It only works on Epic game speed (in fact all the other game speeds are disabled). I haven't played it for very long so I can't comment on stability.

I don't know, does anyone know or talk to tsentom1? I know he hasn't been on the forums for a while. It looks like he was working on an update and just never finished polishing it for release? If this is some sort of personal back-up of his that he still intends to release I don't know if it's right for us to download his "draft" copy.

So I don't know if this was pointed out on the thread before but did anyone else know there appears to be a more recent version of Thomas' War up on Atomic Gamer?

I had re-formatted my computer and had to re-download the mod. I knew that the mod was hosted on Atomic Gamer (because it always had annoyingly long queues to download) and just decided to search for the mod there figuring it would be just as quick as searching on civfanatics. The search function actually comes up with several versions of Thomas' War and a bunch of Thomas' War files, including this one:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/87630/thomas-war-civ-iv-mod-final

from August 2010!

The description has it labeled as the final(-ish) release of the mod? I downloaded it, it works, it has a lot of stuff not present in the current download. It's even updated to the latest patch! The only things I noticed: 1) It's a big file, about 1 gig, because it only has animated leaderheads and movies (no static); 2) It has no scenarios or custom maps; 3) It only works on Epic game speed (in fact all the other game speeds are disabled). I haven't played it for very long so I can't comment on stability.

I don't know, does anyone know or talk to tsentom1? I know he hasn't been on the forums for a while. It looks like he was working on an update and just never finished polishing it for release? If this is some sort of personal back-up of his that he still intends to release I don't know if it's right for us to download his "draft" copy.

I think that's just the mod itself. I don't know. What's the new stuff you saw that wasn't mentioned here? I'll compare that to the stuff that's on my version of the mod, whichever it is.

I think that's just the mod itself. I don't know. What's the new stuff you saw that wasn't mentioned here? I'll compare that to the stuff that's on my version of the mod, whichever it is.

I am going to download the mod, as I am very curious what it has and what has been improved.

As some of you know, my mod Extreme was heavily based on TW 3.5 and I am a huge fan of this guy's work.

I hope there is some new stuff in there to look at.

For one, it has a whole new trait, like 3-4 new civs (are the Kievan Rus' or Cherokee in the current version? It's been a while since I played it), and the Nat trait functions completely differently (lowers conscription anger duration instead of faster jails if I recall correctly). Those are some pretty significant changes, IMO. I noticed some different stats and abilities on some wonders as well (so maybe he did balance changes on units and buildings?). Then again, I only really looked through the civlopedia, and didn't have time to play the game proper (in the middle of finals week) so I can't comment on if it's anymore stable. When I tried to start a game, it worked normally except for some reason all the game speeds but Epic were disabled (whereas the current download has all the game speeds). I can't really think of why he would disable game speeds.

Regardless, the upload date is Aug 2010, which is several months after the upload this thread directs too. So maybe tsentom1 hasn't forgotten the mod even if he doesn't visit the forums anymore? It seems a lot of work to never post. Or, does anyone know, if the mod was uploaded to any of the other civ fan sites (did he have a falling out with civfanatics?). Maybe the new version was uploaded to one of those.

I'll ask again, does TW work with patch 3.19?

Yes it works in 3.19.

I recall this being explained before but since Thomas' War doesn't change anything in the DLL (?) it's usually compatible with new versions without being upgraded. Of course unit and other stat changes wouldn't be present as those would have to be added to the files manually.

Does anyone know of any sub mods for Thomas' War? It's a great mod, with great concepts, but a more diverse unit roster in the late age would be great, like more mechs, futuristic infantry, etc.
How easy would it be to stick in the STALKER infantry unit in the late game?

Thanks, was more looking for additions to Thomas' War itself. Looks like I found a replacement for it with Rise of Mankind, which has a fully fleshed out future era with a transhuman chapter to boot.:goodjob:
Too bad though, because some of the Thomas War content was brilliant; the inclusion of the various esoteric influences in society, such as the Hermetic Temple of Golden Dawn, aspects of mass mind control, the ubermensch with concepts from Huxley and Orwell. Thomas War has really great concepts.

Top Bottom