Buff Georgia

The faith bonus from doing a Protectorate War is not a bad idea, except for the religion requirement which makes it just stupid. Even if I didn't require a religion, I wouldn't call it good; but it'd still be interesting since it'd be situationaly powerful if you can get a protectorate war going. Of course protectorate wars are sorta weak in themselves, as in the CS could be dead before you can do anything, and you have to be suzerain in the first place.

Being able to chain golden ages seemed like a cool idea before release, but in practice the bonus does nothing to help you get a golden age meaning that it only helps with your 2nd one. That's what? like 80 turns minimum before it does anything and only helps if you missed the GA by a bit. If you were to overshoot anyways, it's useless, so it only helps you when everything comes together. Why not give a real bonus during a golden age?

The religion requirement applies to the double envoys not the +100% faith during protectorate wars. I really like the protectorate war bonus for Georgia. It is very easy to maintain suzerain over neighboring city states since those are the easiest to keep your religion. Not coincidentally, neighboring city states are the ones you can use most effectively use protectorate wars to protect. In my Georgia game I would say I had over 30% up-time on the protectorate war bonuses. This translates to over +30% additional faith over the course of the game, as I intentionally slotted in faith generating policy cards during my protectorate wars.

I have never had the opportunity to declare a protectorate war as Georgia, so it's been a worthless ability to me.

I have attempted to play Georgia several times since I last posted and I despise the civilization. The envoy ability remains the best and the golden age bonuses are nice, but everything else is just so woefully under-cooked. The walls come too late, cost too much, and provide too little to great improvements. I have no idea how the UU was approved. For the cost of two swordsman, you get one swordsman with 40 strength that goes up to 47 with no movement penalties on hills. That's it? For double the cost and +1 maintenance cost of a swordsman? Why bother when you can build a way more useful crossbowman at that point?

The religion requirement applies to the double envoys not the +100% faith during protectorate wars.

Yea I didn't heed that part. Though this requires you to have a nearby CS you can gain control of and if you don't have a religion, and for someone to attack them, you'll have a much harder time. And also the CS may just end up falling before you can do anything. It also doesn't help that protectorate war is one of the weakest CBs aside from surprise war. If you're going to build troops, you could just liberate the CS after it falls and just conquer whoever was attacking the CS with minimal warmonger penalities.

I mean the bonus isn't bad, as I think it's their best ability but that pigeonholes them into a very weak playing style regardless of goals.

I didn't think it was possible but Georgia is even worse than I originally thought. I sent some early envoys to city states with my religion and got nothing only to realize that I first have to establish a majority religion not just found one and spread it to the CS. I didn't think the double envoys were all that great to begin with but this delay in getting them makes the ability mediocre at best and it's clearly their best ability. The protectorate war seemed decent on paper but I agree that it's practically useless with the AI aggressively capturing them so early and the additional requirements required for the CB. Even if you manage to pull it off you need a seriously high faith output for it to pay dividends. I can easily get much more faith from Goddess of the Harvest (no guarantee but still easier than satisfying the conditions for a proctectorate war IMO). Georgia deserves a tier all to themselves for worst bonuses.

Last edited:
Buffs over nerfs for me. For me, 'balance' isn't about making each civ equal. It is about making different playstyles equally viable.

First, the Georgia issue. I am of the opinion that they DO need a buff; I would love to make them a true defensive civ. So, I'd buff them by giving +2 Faith for every envoy. It's very strong for an early pantheon, but situational enough not to be too OP. Meeting City States first makes it really good too!
Second, that darn wall. Make it Ancient Era (historical accuracy be damned) at the same cost. However, it should (1). Give immunity to citizen loss and district pillaging from volcanoes (2). Automatically upgrade when the relevant building tech is researched (3). Give +4 culture when you research Renaissance Walls. 1.5 tourism when the relevant civic is researched.

Other civs requiring buffs I think are Dido, Mapuche, Cree, and Khmer, as mentioned. Korea should get a half-cost Research Lab unique building too - yes, yet ANOTHER buff to their science game!

Necromancy! I wasted ten minutes typing up replies to posts from two years ago.

If you're still playing Civ6 you're doing dirty little secret necromancy all alone in your wet corner.

More seriously, if Georgia still sucks I think that's not necromancy. But does it suck ? I didn't read the whole thread and it appears that some people want them nerfed. Difference between Immortal and Deity +++ players I suppose.

If you're still playing Civ6 you're doing dirty little secret necromancy all alone in your wet corner.

More seriously, if Georgia still sucks I think that's not necromancy. But does it suck ? I didn't read the whole thread and it appears that some people want them nerfed. Difference between Immortal and Deity +++ players I suppose.
They don't suck at all.

I think folks are now okay with Georgia. Certainly the previous (stale) complaint about having to have a majority religion before you can utilize the double envoys ability misses why that's a better condition than just having to found a religion.

Top Bottom