Buff Georgia

Frostburn

Warlord
Pretty cool civ in my opinion that falls short in some easy to fix areas.

Firstly, make the unique walls come earlier, make them stronger or give them more faith output. +3 Faith is pretty lame for Renaissance era Unique infrastructure. Unique district buildings get their production costs cut in half, while Georgia's unique walls are only slightly cheaper. Overall, kinda lame and underwhelming. +5 faith would get me a lot more excited.

Secondly- Their UU, the Khevsur. Like the Samurai and the Berserker who are also UUS coming in after researching military tactics, they are pretty bad. The come at the same tech as pikeman, have 1 less combat strength, cost 10% less, and don't get a bonus vs cavalry.

Basically you trade the Pikeman's cavalry bonus for +7 combat strength on hills.... Seems like a wash.

Overall I think Georgia's design is very interesting, and with a few tweaks can be a civ that is a lot more fun to play. Right now, 2 of their bonuses feel hardly better, if at all in the UU's case, than baseline. At the very least give Khevsur (and the Samurai/Berserker) like 45 or 47 base combat strength.

Last edited:
I played them and was very confused. I would appreciate some tips if anyone has those
How do you best use their ability with the city states. What I did was not too good. Should one hold back on the envoys and wait for a majority religion or should one try to friend a city state in AI territory as soon as possible to get a protective war? I think I did neither.

And I guess it is good to try for a dark age so that heroic age will follow? Georgian dedications were pretty strong. I guess heroic could get quite powerful. But I think I played it wrong.

Agree on the wall. Sciences start to go so fast at that time that walls are very soon obsolete and in my game I did not get around to building them much.

I did not think their special unit was as bad as some are. It is a melee unit so it does not have the anti cavalry bonus. It was a pretty good barbarian clean up unit.

I like the flavor of the civ, but yeah it just didn't work out for me. I didn't use 3 of their unique bonuses. The golden age thing is pretty cool though. Walls should be much cheaper. But the problem is medieval walls are still pretty expensive, and I never build those either. I don't think you can build renaissance walls if you haven't built medieval walls can you? Would be nice if you could, then I might actually do it. Even with Limes, medieval walls can take a while. Maybe one highly vulnerable city might get medieval walls from me, but never have I ever build renaissance walls. And I never built the UU.

Georgia's strongest bonus, by far, is the leader ability. Doubling envoys, even conditionally, is far more potent than any other city state bonus in the game and can net you tons of building and suzerain bonuses, as well as gold through policy cards and emergency rewards. I'd agree that the UU is somewhat underwhelming and the UI very much so, but all civs have stronger and weaker elements among their bonuses. Based on my experience so far, I'd consider Georgia a solid mid tier civ.

Georgia's strongest bonus, by far, is the leader ability. Doubling envoys, even conditionally, is far more potent than any other city state bonus in the game and can net you tons of building and suzerain bonuses, as well as gold through policy cards and emergency rewards. I'd agree that the UU is somewhat underwhelming and the UI very much so, but all civs have stronger and weaker elements among their bonuses. Based on my experience so far, I'd consider Georgia a solid mid tier civ.

I think that if they can make Golden Ages a bit more challenging to achieve, it would make the UA stronger too. (and the Taj Mahal)

Yea, I didn't mean to imply that they are one of the weakest civs, but rather, 2 of their bonuses seem pretty useless which takes the fun out of the civ. I'd rather a civ have 4 average-power bonuses that players are inclined to actually use than a civ with a 2 good bonuses + 2 useless bonuses, even if they end up at the same power-level.

I think the Georgia design is really cool, but is hurt by having low numbers in their Walls and UU

I am really disappointed with the Tsikhe, which is a shame because I feel like Georgia is pretty well designed otherwise (not strong but well designed). As the games first unique walls, there are so many cool things they could have done. +3faith in the renaissance era for something that requires 3 layers of walls to build is just awful. At the same time as the only UB that can be build in every city I can understand why you wouldn’t want to make it too powerful. There are many interesting mechanics they could have done.

(1) +1 Envoy to all city states within 10 tiles. As Georgia you really want to focus on the city states closest to you. Would go quite nicely with her Protectorate War bonus. Will allow you to set up forward defensive positions to protect your city states.

(2) +3 faith. Additional +3 faith in a Golden Age. Would fit historically and thematically with Georgia’s focus on chaining Golden Ages.

(3) +3 faith. +Faith on city range strikes. Georgia historically was invaded many times by Muslim neighbors, and these invasions very much strengthened their religious dedication. Will also be an interesting mechanic, luring AI to their death upon your city walls.

(4) All city center buildings provide +1 faith. The city center, upon being so well protected, becomes more pious. Straightforward bonus.

(5) +2 faith/suzerain. Another straightforward bonus. Synergizes well with Georgia’s city state focus.

(6) +3 faith and Doubles Wall Tourism at Conservation. Georgia is far too 1-dimensional right now, only really being geared towards religious victory. This, plus their city state bonus, would give them the option to pivot towards cultural victory.

(7) +3 faith and wall tourism starts immediately (instead of at conservation). My personal favorite. Not also does it fulfill the function in #6, but can be combined with relics/religious spread for an early faith based culture victory (similar to Khmer, Poland, Russia). Even if you don’t go for the relic based culture victory, the early tourism will give you a leg up on other civs who need to wait two more eras to start seeing tourism from their walls.

Double envoys are good and everything else about Georgia is trash or mediocre. Definitely the worst of the new civs, imo.

Pretty cool civ in my opinion that falls short in some easy to fix areas.

Firstly, make the unique walls come earlier, make them stronger or give them more faith output. +3 Faith is pretty lame for Renaissance era Unique infrastructure. Unique district buildings get their production costs cut in half, while Georgia's unique walls are only slightly cheaper. Overall, kinda lame and underwhelming. +5 faith would get me a lot more excited.

Secondly- Their UU, the Khevsur. Like the Samurai and the Berserker who are also UUS coming in after researching military tactics, they are pretty bad. The come at the same tech as pikeman, have 1 less combat strength, cost 10% less, and don't get a bonus vs cavalry.

Basically you trade the Pikeman's cavalry bonus for +7 combat strength on hills.... Seems like a wash.

Overall I think Georgia's design is very interesting, and with a few tweaks can be a civ that is a lot more fun to play. Right now, 2 of their bonuses feel hardly better, if at all in the UU's case, than baseline. At the very least give Khevsur (and the Samurai/Berserker) like 45 or 47 base combat strength.

Agreed. I’m playing a game as them now and haven’t had a chance to use the protectorate war at all. Their walls are at least an easy way to get era points buy buying them with faith with I forget which card. Their unique unit should definitely be buffed as well...but I can’t think of a unique unit outside of Rome and Macedonia that shouldn’t be buffed.

Perhaps they should have had the Tsikhe replace walls for Georgia completely: it unlocks at Masonry, has the +3 faith and is slightly better than normal ancient walls, and then gets upgrades as you research the techs that would unlock improved walls for other civs. That way it becomes more powerful simply by the fact that Georgia would only have to build walls once in each city as opposed to the normal three times, and maybe throw in a few more faith points as you move through the eras.

Agreed. I’m playing a game as them now and haven’t had a chance to use the protectorate war at all. Their walls are at least an easy way to get era points buy buying them with faith with I forget which card.
That's not a card IIRC; you were probably suzerain of Valetta.

Last edited:
I always try to be the suzerain of Valetta. I often don't found a religion so I've got a lot of extra faith kicking around. Got to spend it somewhere, might as well be on walls or on basic infrastructure needed by every new city.

Essentially the strategy with Georgia is: AMASS as much faith as possible as early as possible (every 2 in 3 cities should have a Holy Site), buy Apostles, spread majority religion to City States (ideally self-founded religion but this one is optional), get double envoys.

Step two, build the Chapel in the Government Plaza and use your massive faith pool to buy yourself an Army. Use your cities' production to build Wonders instead (for Era Score; Taj Mahal is a must for Georgia!)

Step three: Warmonger during your next Golden Age for reduced penalties to both Warmonger Score and Enemy loyalty pressure. Use Protectorate Wars whenever possible (perfectly reasonable for Georgia since double faith, which is MORE units, but also because PWs are cheese (Warmonger Penalties are always zero))

Khevsurs and Tsike's are weak but serve some minor utility. Georgia have a hills bias, so the Khevsur is a useful unit to FaithBuy in a pinch if attacked; The Tsike provides additional tourism and faith, giving a minor bonus to all non-science victory types. They probably should be buffed though (the Tsike should replace MEDIEVAL Walls and the Khevsur should replace the Swordsman)

Essentially the strategy with Georgia is: AMASS as much faith as possible as early as possible (every 2 in 3 cities should have a Holy Site), buy Apostles, spread majority religion to City States (ideally self-founded religion but this one is optional), get double envoys.

Step two, build the Chapel in the Government Plaza and use your massive faith pool to buy yourself an Army. Use your cities' production to build Wonders instead (for Era Score; Taj Mahal is a must for Georgia!)

Step three: Warmonger during your next Golden Age for reduced penalties to both Warmonger Score and Enemy loyalty pressure. Use Protectorate Wars whenever possible (perfectly reasonable for Georgia since double faith, which is MORE units, but also because PWs are cheese (Warmonger Penalties are always zero))

Khevsurs and Tsike's are weak but serve some minor utility. Georgia have a hills bias, so the Khevsur is a useful unit to FaithBuy in a pinch if attacked; The Tsike provides additional tourism and faith, giving a minor bonus to all non-science victory types. They probably should be buffed though (the Tsike should replace MEDIEVAL Walls and the Khevsur should replace the Swordsman)
Sounds great to me, I'd love to try that. AI loves to attack city-states. I guess that means avoiding friendships with them.

Perhaps they should have had the Tsikhe replace walls for Georgia completely: it unlocks at Masonry, has the +3 faith and is slightly better than normal ancient walls, and then gets upgrades as you research the techs that would unlock improved walls for other civs. That way it becomes more powerful simply by the fact that Georgia would only have to build walls once in each city as opposed to the normal three times, and maybe throw in a few more faith points as you move through the eras.
Just have the Tsikhe replace the Armory or Military Academy, and then provide faith for each level of walls.

Or maybe a fort replacement that doesn't suck, but that would be asking a lot.

Just have the Tsikhe replace the Armory or Military Academy, and then provide faith for each level of walls.

Or maybe a fort replacement that doesn't suck, but that would be asking a lot.

Or give it some sort of Armory properties like bonus production or double XP for units built in a city with a tsikhe. I played Georgia and had fun going for a religious victory but gave up because late game bordom

Georgia's UB is so bad that that it provides 1 point more Faith for building 3 layers of buildings than what Indonesia gets for free for settling on coast. It's not totally fair to compare civs this way because there are other factors, but this particular Unique Building is very poor.

Yeah, out of the four games I've played so far, Georgia ended up being the only one I was disappointed in. The Khevsurs are nearly useless. Knights can pace them, and even with the +7 hills bonus they're still weaker than the base knight, unless the wiki has their stats wrong. The idea of them rushing to the defense of a city doesn't pan out either with their limited mobility and base strength just a few points above the swordsman. At least give them added defense against ranged attacks or something, which would let you use them to rush in at the beginning of a siege and plant it on some hills.

Georgia's color scheme is pretty great, though!
Yeah, I did actually like dotting the minimap with a bunch of little sunny-side-up eggs.

Sounds great to me, I'd love to try that. AI loves to attack city-states. I guess that means avoiding friendships with them.

Not necessarily. I won my Georgia game while being buddy-buddy with the AIs for a large part of the game. I expanded as much as I could (I had about ~20 self-settled cities), using the golden age buff from loyalty to forward-settle, bided my time and crushes the AI in the Atomic Age, Captured all of Khmer's relics and won an easily cultural victory.

Top Bottom