Buffy 005 launched - try it out with 3 new Gauntlets!

Looks like I'm running in Administrator, but I'm not sure, because this is a Steam app. Once again, no biggie.

Haven't had Windows on my computer for years, so can't answer all the queries (like admin rights and such), but you can try to import the .reg file I used. There is a big section about settings, which probably doesn't matter at all (you can try to delete it), but I reckon the paths are crucial. No idea why GOG managed to mess this up, but they did.

It's possible this gets Map Finder running too. I remember I had some problem with that way back too, but haven't run it for a very, very long time. There is also a path about MapFinder in BUFFY settings in-game, so make sure that is set to the appropriate path too. That may just be about running it though. If you get that error when starting it, hopefully getting the registry paths correct will fix it. Worth a shot at least.
https://pastebin.com/8ZL76K5m

I deleted the registry section from GOG as well, but it may not be necessary.

Save that stuff in a clean text file titled .reg and double click on it, or import it in the registry program.

How does one import a registry into Linux Wine?

it seems to be a Windows 10 issue. I.e., can't change the 'Read-only' attribute as it is re-checked immediately after hitting 'OK' (as confirmed by re-opening the 'Properties' button')

You probably need to change the 'Owner' of the Drive.
In File Manager, select <This PC>, then <right-click> on the relevant Drive, e.g. Local Disk(C:), then select Properties;
Select the <Security> tab, then click <Advanced>;
The new window shows the 'Owner' of the Drive - you will probably find that is says 'Trusted Installer'.
If so, I recommend that you change this to 'Administrators', as follows:
Select <Change>, then select <Advanced>, then select <Find Now>, then choose <Administrators>, then <OK>,<OK>;
Make sure that you check the <Replace owner on subcontainers and objects> box, then click <Apply> WARNING - this make take several minutes;
Also, don't be surprised if you get denied the ability to change ownership of any Anti-Virus files on the drive (hitting <enter>, rather than mouse click helps).

You should now be able to click on the <Read only> attribute of Folders within that drive, and apply a change to Read/Write. WARNING - this may take several minutes.
WARNING - Bear in mind that the <Read only> attribute will appear to re-apply itself as a small black box if ANY file within that folder is designated Read only - that black box means that SOME, NOT ALL files are read only.

I hope that this helps.

I'm on the Original released unsupported version on Steam, I can load BUFFY 5 just fine but when I try to load the save file for Botm 198 I get "the save file you have selected is protected..."

I haven't installed any other mods so what can I do?

I'm on the Original released unsupported version on Steam, I can load BUFFY 5 just fine but when I try to load the save file for Botm 198 I get "the save file you have selected is protected..."

I haven't installed any other mods so what can I do?

First, I assume you have performed Steps 1 and 2 from here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Steam is tricky. Even with the Beta version they left a few assets modified. The issue is saves created with Lock Modified Assets on, like GOTMs and HOF saves. Someone else opening that save must have matching assets otherwise it won't load.

If I recall, there were 3 or 4 minor assets files that still remained altered from original. Back when I switch over to Steam version of few years ago we were discussing how to get around this. I can kick myself for not documenting the files in question and saving off copies. But basically I isolated the files in question by comparing steam vs. a non-steam install. The idea though was originated by Neilmeister who actually replaced all the files with a non-Steam version; i.e., he installed the Steam version and then manually deleted all the files and copied over a non-steam version of the files. I just took it a step further and identified the actual files themselves, but neglected to document it like an idiot.

You can see the discussion here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/important-playing-vanilla-and-warlords-on-windows-10.550889/

I think @neilmeister uploaded the BTS files, and maybe he can chime in here if he still has them.

If not, I can try to figure something out.

On another note, don't run BTS from Steam Library. Always run from the executable.

Please let me know the file size of the DLL in the BTS/BTS/Assets folder (4834kb?)

Last edited:
First, I assume you have performed Steps 1 and 2 from here:

http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

Steam is tricky. Even with the Beta version they left a few assets modified. The issue is saves created with Lock Modified Assets on, like GOTMs and HOF saves. Someone else opening that save must have matching assets otherwise it won't load.

If I recall, there were 3 or 4 minor assets files that still remained altered from original. Back when I switch over to Steam version of few years ago we were discussing how to get around this. I can kick myself for not documenting the files in question and saving off copies. But basically I isolated the files in question by comparing steam vs. a non-steam install. The idea though was originated by Neilmeister who actually replaced all the files with a non-Steam version; i.e., he installed the Steam version and then manually deleted all the files and copied over a non-steam version of the files. I just took it a step further and identified the actual files themselves, but neglected to document it like an idiot.

You can see the discussion here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/important-playing-vanilla-and-warlords-on-windows-10.550889/

I think @neilmeister uploaded the BTS files, and maybe he can chime in here if he still has them.

If not, I can try to figure something out.

On another note, don't run BTS from Steam Library. Always run from the executable.

Please let me know the file size of the DLL in the BTS/BTS/Assets folder (4834kb?)

Yeah, I set up everything as per the guide, even making the Shortcut to the bts.exe load Buffy automatically.
I still have my old original DvDs, but no drive installed so I'm gonna have to see if one of my old ones still works, and then see if I can find a stand alone 3.19 patcher if I can't find the files.

Thanks!

Yeah, I set up everything as per the guide, even making the Shortcut to the bts.exe load Buffy automatically.
I still have my old original DvDs, but no drive installed so I'm gonna have to see if one of my old ones still works, and then see if I can find a stand alone 3.19 patcher if I can't find the files.

Thanks!
What is the file size of the DLL?

The "Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword" folder is 3.46 GB.

If you mean "CvGameCoreDLL.dll" inside the Assets folder in Buffy that's 5296 KB

No..as I asked a couple of posts above, the DLL in the BTS/BTS/Assets folder.

Ok..that's fine. Problem on my end is that even though I have a second machine with a non-steam version I can't make comparisons as I already fixed the files on my steam version.

I'm vaguely recalling that a couple of small assets files were different, so I can just upload a zip of my asset folder. Just extract it > delete the current asset folder > replace with the new folder. (I'm talkin' the main BTS/BTS/Assets folder here to be clear) Here's the link to download (~330mb):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DisttBxQf2l9z62-ePQinB7IxSCWsU8a/view?usp=sharing

Ideally, if you are so inclined, and familiar with comparison tools like WinMerge, I'd ask you to compare the two folders and note any different files for me(include location).

I think I recall a map file may have been different and that is located elsewhere, but may not be a problem. Couple of map folders exist though, so I can't remember which, but very easy to upload that later if needed.

My goal being to document as I should have done before for posterity.

Last edited:
Ok..that's fine. Problem on my end is that even though I have a second machine with a non-steam version I can't make comparisons as I already fixed the files on my steam version.

I'm vaguely recalling that a couple of small assets files were different, so I can just upload a zip of my asset folder. Just extract it > delete the current asset folder > replace with the new folder. (I'm talkin' the main BTS/BTS/Assets folder here to be clear) Here's the link to download (~330mb):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DisttBxQf2l9z62-ePQinB7IxSCWsU8a/view?usp=sharing

Ideally, if you are so inclined, and familiar with comparison tools like WinMerge, I'd ask you to compare the two folders and note any different files for me(include location).

I think I recall a map file may have been different and that is located elsewhere, but may not be a problem. Couple of map folders exist though, so I can't remember which, but very easy to upload that later if needed.

My goal being to document as I should have done before for posterity.

I get access denied to the uploaded file.

I hope I can help you find the discrepancies not only for me, but as you said to document it and help anyone experiencing the same issue.

Thanks again!

hmm...let me check on that...

Last edited:
I replaced the Assets folder inside BTS/BTS/ but it still doesn't work. :cry:
Oddly the folder you uploaded and the one I had (I made a copy just in case to compare them) have the same size.

The error message states that "the assets in your MODS folder have not been changed" so maybe an issue with Buffy itself?

I replaced the Assets folder inside BTS/BTS/ but it still doesn't work. :cry:
Oddly the folder you uploaded and the one I had (I made a copy just in case to compare them) have the same size.

That does not surprise me much. The files in question, if I recall, were all very small.

The error message states that "the assets in your MODS folder have not been changed" so maybe an issue with Buffy itself?

I'm not familiar with this error message or what it means. When did you see this error message? What was the action you were taking to produce that error?

I'm going to do the following one step at a time as we are dealing in this case with folders of the same name in two locations, so not to confuse things:

The following is a link to download a folder called "Public Maps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C-UMjnJIlfoeZmeab_hXJ0beWiD8kLBW/view?usp=sharing

Important: This folder replaces the one in the higher level BTS folder. So delete common/BTS/Public Maps and replace with this folder. (Not BTS/BTS...there is a Public Maps folder there too which we will do later)

That does not surprise me much. The files in question, if I recall, were all very small.

I'm not familiar with this error message or what it means. When did you see this error message? What was the action you were taking to produce that error?

I'm going to do the following one step at a time as we are dealing in this case with folders of the same name in two locations, so not to confuse things:

The following is a link to download a folder called "Public Maps:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C-UMjnJIlfoeZmeab_hXJ0beWiD8kLBW/view?usp=sharing

Important: This folder replaces the one in the higher level BTS folder. So delete common/BTS/Public Maps and replace with this folder. (Not BTS/BTS...there is a Public Maps folder there too which we will do later)

The message appears when I try to load the BotM savefile.

"The save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed."

Top Bottom