[BUG][.511] CS proposes a resource that is not in its territory!

chrin67

Empereur
Bonsoir,
As shown in the figures below, we're in turn 142 (!) and Vienna still proposes whales although the CS never acquired the whales tile.
I know that it may occur in the first game turns (a CS may need some time to expand) but the CS should first acquire ALL proposed resource tiles!

Turn 59
CS_Pb03.jpg
Turn 142
CS_Pb02.jpg

CS_Pb01.jpg

It'll probably still be a while before Vienna hooks up the whales. After they get it it their borders they'll still need to build a fishing boat as well.
Definitely worse is when a completely landlocked CS has a maritime resource as their luxury, then all hope is lost. I have to assume you never encountered that, but I've seen it several times. The resource is then still only two tiles away from their town centre, but of course they can't build a fishing boat.

This is a problem with border expansion (water tiles are badly neglected) but I'm not sure it's a bug so much as just bad design.

This is a problem with border expansion (water tiles are badly neglected

yes, and it seems that the CS neglects also land tile with coal for ex.

I don't understand why a CS proposes things that are not in its territory.
It is totally misleading.

The CS screen says nothing about resources that are in the CS's territory. It says "Nearby Resources" indicating that it is within 3 tiles of the CS. At some point the CS will have access to it.

It is the same with strategic resources. You research Scientific Theory and the CS screen will say there is coal nearby and it may even be inside the CS's borders. But if the CS hasn't researched Scientific Theory yet, it won't see the coal there and even if there is already a mine built on it, you won't be able to get the coal from the CS.

Be patient, the CS will get the whales eventually.

I don't recall how the natural expansion deals with coal, but I'd think it'd be tagged as a strategic resource, and then it receives high priority. Just look at the nearest plains-horses in Chrin67's picture, it was already in even before Chrin67 himself could see horses.

It is indeed a little bit strange that food gets prioritized over a luxury, for a CS at least. Depending on other surrounding tiles, a lux can last a long time before it's taken in.
The fact that the whale tile in the picture is a water tile is not crucial, the same thing can happen with a furs-forest tile. It's because of low food value.

For the game I don't find it bad that some resources take longer to be taken in, and it's mostly a deliberate design choice. At map generation the CS's get their luxes when the CS's themselves have already been placed on the map. The map script writers could easily have written the code in a way that those luxes would always be dropped in the first ring, but they haven't. They probably wanted some randomization - map scripters like to work with variables anyway, to help make maps look 'natural', instead of adhering to a rigid pattern.
I'm quite okay with what's happening with resources and CS's, it gives some variety in gameplay. Sometimes if you're keen as a human player you can 'steal' a resource from a CS by dropping a town nearby and culture-grab such a resource in, before they have. Such a gameplay element doesn't need to be patched out for me.
The tooltip message can indeed be interpreted as misleading, but this game has a lot of tooltips and Civilopedia descriptions that are simply wrong, while this one is technically at least correct.

merci for all the explanations.
If I understand right, it's rather a game feature, not a bug ;)

Now in a game I again had a case of a CS with a marine lux while being landlocked, took a screenshot this time:

My previous comment in this thread was written while I wasn't playing the game for a period, I thought the whale wasn't taken in because of low food. I was wrong, a whale does 2 food + 2 gold unimproved, yet the governor will normally select a bland grass tile, just 2 food, nothing else, over a whale tile. That is indeed odd.

Hi,

Workaround found:

I was able to throw 200 gold at the city state to "improve a resource" and a work boat instantly spawned on the resource and began hooking it up. Yes, all this despite the water tile being inaccessible to the city state in all gameplay-legitimate means.

--3ICE

Top Bottom