1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Building quests

Discussion in 'CivBE - Strategy & Tips' started by ggmoyang, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Chieftain

Energy allows you to purchase buildings in cities with low production, and it is instantaneous. Hammers take time.

2. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Gold are basically saved hammers. Its main function is to allow a well balanced city capable of making gold to redirect a part of its production toward a less productive city.

As a result, Civ5 and probably BE uses a disadvantageous ratio of how much hammer 1 gold get you. However it doesn't make gold useless, it just means you cannot rely on it for your whole empire.

It doesn't seem likely that we will spam generators in all cities even as a player trying to play with a lot of money. Unless generators end up giving something else than +2gold very quickly. However, grabbing virtues and caravans that makes good gold is a possible good idea. Especially since your trade route number scales with the number of cities, which was the biggest limitation on Civ5 trade route system (and routes now not being allowed to be mirrored).
    A virtue like alternative markets (+6 energy per station tier) look pretty damn good in a wide game or gift economy.

The maths I did on Investment suggest the policy is incredibly strong (compared to say +5 for capital which is terrible in my opinion) as long as you don't spend your gold every turn and generate a reasonable amount. See my other post in the same thread. That's regardless of if you make energy a huge focus or not. What is true however is that it synergizes crazily with good gpt. For example I've seen some videos of people being at 1K gold and making 130 a turn and not having it (while being invested in Industry) and that's a really big mistake as far as I'm concerned.

3. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Also energy lets you support tile improvements (Almost all improcements except the ones you start with cost energy.. Including those needed for strategic resources)

4. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Added some buildings to the list.
    BTW I hit the 30 image limit (didn't know that such thing existed) so I'll have to just use texts rather than icons from now on.

5. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Biofactory: +1:c5food: / +1:c5culture:
    Mass Digester: +1:c5production: / +1:c5food:
    Neurolab: +1:health: / +10%:c5production: for military units
    Holosuite: +2:c5culture: / a free virtue
    Gene Garden: +4:c5gold: and no maintenance / +1:health:
    Cloning Plant: 10%:c5food: carried over after city growth / +1:health:
    Xenofuel Plant: get 1000:c5gold: / +3:c5gold: and +2:c5production: from Xenomass*
    Xenonursery: get 450:c5science: / +5 Xenomass
    Gaian Well: +3:c5gold: / +1:c5production:
    Command Center: +15 city :c5strength: / +1 covert agent
    Feedsite Hub: +1 covert agent / +10% worker speed
    Sonar net: +1:c5science: / +5 city :c5strength:
    CEL Cradle: 10%:c5food: carried over after city growth / +1 Covert Agent
    Surveillance Web: Covert agents need fewer successful operations to advance in rank / +10 city hp
    Alloy Foundry: +2:c5production: from Titanium* / +4 Titanium
    Torpedo Battery: +5 city :c5strength: / +10% city strike damage
    LEV plant: +2:c5production: / +3:c5gold: and no maintenance
    Optical Surgery: +1 sight range for units / +2:c5science:
    Autoplant: +1:c5production: / +2:c5gold: and no maintenance
    Bionics Lab: +1:c5science: / +1:c5culture:
    Institute: +5% science / a free tech

*These bonus are applied to the resource tile and global. (i. e. does not require the building)

6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Yes, there is a 30 image limit, but that is a limit per post. I've added an empty post after your first post (post just says [Reserved], so you can edit the first post and the [reserved} post to split the list between those two posts to get you to 60 images. If you need more than 60, I can create another empty post.

7. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Oh thanks!

8. Knut_Are_M

Knut_Are_M Chieftain

when compareing energy to Production you got to remember that energy sets the limit on how big of a standing army you can have as well as how many tile improvements you can have. And you do get the +1 Health from biowells even when you do not work them. So the cost for Health late game is roughly 2 gpt + an empty tile.

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Is that nanopasture bonus +10% Growth or Food?
    (Be nice to know if the text matches the effect, unlike PAU)

10. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Dunno. It said 10% food but there's good chance it will just 10% growth. (I saw that quest on MadDjinn's LP, maybe he'll be able to answer.)

11. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Thanks, that's been bothering me since I saw the PAU ability (with LP revealing the text was wrong.)

12. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

Thank you for the ongoing updates to the OP! Very interesting!

The whole concept of building quests is great. It will allow for very strong specialized strategies, for instance when choosing artists as start bonus and then always choosing culture when possible. You might sacrifice a lot, but you get powerful bonuses, too. All this will compensate very well for not having as many civs to choose.
    There might be quite a few quests that still need balance, but this will hopefully be done until release.

13. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Speaking of strategy, it looks like harmony have a rush potential too.
    Alien Sciences unlocks Xenofuel plant and Xenonursery, which gives +1000 energy and +450 science.
    Science can be used towards Alien Adaptation which unlocks Xeno swarm unit, and with 1000 energy you can buy 2. (460 energy each)

It's still slower than battlesuits though.
    1) The buildings require harmony level 2
    2) It's not s free tech

14. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Chieftain

Not sure if this has already been discussed but do we know how if the free tech for the institute is a one time thing or per institute built like other quests? It would seem way OP to get a free tech for each institute built in my opinion.

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

One time... a large number of building quests are 1 time things

(trade units immune to aliens..you only need one, Free techs/Free Virtues/Free Covert Agents, one time gold/science chunks, etc.

16. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

First of one-third list is finished!

17. JuanB

JuanB Chieftain

Also if you factor in that some of the naval upgrades give increased damage for having unused movement points, then it's really overpowered!

18. ggmoyang

ggmoyang Chieftain

Biofuel Plant +2:c5gold: / +1:c5production:
    Growlab: get 450:c5gold: / All cities get 1 poulation
    Microbial Mine: +1:c5gold: per Harmony affinity level / +1:c5science: per Harmony affinity level
    Organ Printer: +10%:health: / +10 heal rate
    Civil Crèche: +5%:c5food:* / +10% worker speed
    Soma Distillery: +10%:health: / +5%:c5culture:
    Terra Vault: +5%:c5culture: / +5%:c5science:
    Gene Smelter: +2:c5science: / +1:health:
    Xeno Sanctuary: +2:c5culture: / +2:c5food:
    Mind Stem: No quest.
    Borehole: +5%:c5production: / +5%:c5gold: and no maintenance
    Field Reactor: +5%:c5gold: / +2 orbital coverage
    Mantle: +1:c5science: per Purity affinity level / +1:c5gold: per Purity affinity level
    Hypercore: +1:c5science: per Supremacy affinity level / +1:c5culture: per Supremacy affinity level
    Node Bank: +10% city hp / +10% city :c5strength:
    Mosaic Hull: +5%:c5culture: / +20 city hp
    Neoplanetarium: +2 orbital coverage / +10%:c5production: for orbital units
    Skycrane: +2:c5production: from Floatstone** / +4 Floatstone
    Nanopasture: +10%:c5food:* / +10%:c5gold:
    Augmentery: +10%:health: / +5% to all yields* (food, production, energy, science and culture)
    Molecular Forge: +10%:c5production: / +10% science
    Bioglass Furnace: +2 production from Firaxite** / +4 Firaxite
    Progenitor Garden: +10% health / +5% science

*These buildings give bonus to base food, not growth. (which is better)
    **These bonus are applied to the resource tile and global. (i. e. does not require the building)

19. manu-fan

manu-fan Chieftain

One can be built early, and the other comes later? You could say that the Public School and Library in Civ 5 are unbalanced.

20. dr_AllCOM3

dr_AllCOM3 Chieftain

I built an institute and I didn't get a free tech.
    Edit: You have to wait for a while, then the quest pops up. +5% science (in this city?) or free tech.