Building Re-Costing Project

I would be a proponent of combining them into one generic building, such as the fish traps: E.g., a building named "Plantations", with the effect "+1 :food: / +1 :gold: for each banana, coconut, papaya, guava, mango, apple, fig, date, almond, pistachio, etc. in city vicinity". This way, the building becomes more valuable the more bonuses you have and vice versa. Just an idea. It would mess with prerequisite chains, and there's no way to grant extra yields for diversity (ie, wheat + apples = strawberries), so there would need to be work-arounds anyway. But I think it would help clean up the build menu.
What I have in mind WOULD clean up the build menu a bit but it's not due to eliminating greater diversity but rather utilizing that diversity to the fullest and placing the benefits more on the side of the commercial end buildings. I'll explain more once I get closer to being capable of implementing.

The re-costing project streamlined (almost) all buildings according to tech, we now have an excellent baseline and even all the charts to figure out the 'suggested cost'.

If we are going to look at ROI of individual buildings, and adjust willy nilly we are going to destroy the framework. I don't think that is a good idea.
Instead i think we should look at groups of buildings and adjust those as a whole where needed.

As earlier suggested: The forge for instance can cost 150% or 200% of the base hammers. Then every smelter can cost 50% or 75%.

The same principal can apply to farms and animal hunter buildings.

One of the issues that is easy to spot is that there are so many resource buildings for animals farms etc, that all my cities never get around to building those. And every era they increase again. This keeps them in the long list.
Putting the heavy cost first gives you the chance to spend cash / caravans at that moment and then when you have the chance do the string of resource buildings.
The hub buildings are also the ones that change and you want to upgrade. All those resource farms last half the game. In the end you will be paying a fair amount of hammers, it just feels less convoluted.

Another way to adjust the price of buildings is too look at a specific upgrade line.

If you make every building on that line cheaper or more expensive by the same amount, you still keep the framework in shape.

For example:
The town watch / patrol etc buildings are pretty good and upgrade your police. They can be 125 or 150%
The executioner buildings however do mostly the same but give unhappiness too. If we make those 75% of the base it gives you options.

Some buildings are just outright crappy, but they are still normally in the frame work. Those buildings could just cost 50 or 75% of the base.

All in all with some adjustments here in there we can increase ease of life and maybe provide some tactical opportunities. Building cheaper buildings that are unhealthy and bring unhappiness or high upkeep could cost you.
For the AI those buildings might even be superior since with difficulty those properties hurt less.

Ghe ReCosting as everyone has seen the Order of when and where you build you buildings. Until all players and Modders have played thru several games then we can see about adjustments. The obvious misplaced costs are being attended to now as they are discovered. But the flow is still too early to start tinkering with.

All these proposals have some merit. But it's not yet time imhpo to start tweaking beyond the obvious. We will get there but more play is necessary before we do.

In vanilla the cost of all temples is 80 at tech Priesthood, all monasteries 60 at tech Meditation and all cathedrals 300 at tech Music. The tech restriction does not work well with religions in C2C but the ratios of costs do.

I would suggest
  1. Monastery level building costs as per tech (these allow the building of missionaries) - exception Mormon

2. Temples level buildings cost 1.25 time the Monastery - if at the same tech, or tech otherwise

3. Cathedrals level buildings cost 5 times the Monastery - ditto (these used to require a number of temples they probably should even if it is only 1).
Not sure what to do about the temple and monastery extensions.

Monastery level building costs as per tech (these allow the building of missionaries) - exception Mormon
There are two Monastery level buildings. The first is given the specialbuildingtype of Monastery and that assigns them all to have the same tech prereq. If you are saying that IF the religion is of a later tech than the building should be adjusted, that actually does make some sense and I happened across that thought myself. But I didn't know if we should establish that as a standard or not. In this case, then Monastery II type buildings (by specialbuildingtype), where the special building type info does not define a prerequisite tech, would make sense for them to have an assignment using the religious tech associated with them as a proxy tech for establishing cost as well and that makes them usually cheaper, which is exactly how they are assigned now.

Temples level buildings cost 1.25 time the Monastery - if at the same tech, or tech otherwise
Temple I SpecialBuildingTypes open up a bit earlier than monasteries and are thus cheaper and temples themselves are commonly much less rewarding across the board in almost all religions. Thus, if anything, they should be about 80% of the cost of the Monasteries... Perhaps whatever the standard tech access difference in ratio terms exists between the techs for standard temple access and the tech for standard monastery access anyhow. And then if the monestery access, proxied by the religion tech being more modern than the ... what is it? Meditation tech? that allows access to standard monasteries, then temples would be reduced just under the monastery costs in the same religion.

Thus, Monastery cost, being a standard of 216 by being on TECH_MEDITATION, showing up on X33 on the tech columns, and standard Temple cost, being a standard of 160 by being on TECH_PRIESTHOOD, showing up on X26 on the tech columns, shows us that the cost of a temple where the temple and the monastery are both accessed by the same religious proxy tech instead of an assigned tech prereq should be at about 75% of the cost of the monastery, which picks up the cost of the religious tech by X grid. (technically 74.074074 (with the 074 repeating, derived by getting the % of 216 that 160 represents by dividing 160 by 216))

That wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure. Cool.

Cathedrals level buildings cost 5 times the Monastery - ditto (these used to require a number of temples they probably should even if it is only 1).
This is a little trickier. The benefits are powerful, but arguably usually powerful for culture which is, even with Developing Leaders, hard to prioritize as much as even a much smaller benefit to research from a Monastery. They are supposed to be significantly larger buildings, and yes, in Vanilla they required 3 temples for each one you could build. I used to like that we took it down to a 1-1 ratio, and maybe have even gotten rid of the # of temple requirements but I'm kinda missing having to be more selective with where you build them and feel like 3 temples to 1 Cathedral is probably a good idea.

But they come up, I feel, a bit cost short in basing them completely on tech. TECH_MUSIC is in X-Grid column 40 and that has a base of 280. This is pretty close to the 300 they used to have. But 280 compared to 216 makes them a little cheaper by ratio than they were to original vanilla. Perhaps they should be, particularly since we have more religions, their benefits are still glutonously delivered to a commerce that isn't nearly as beneficial as research (with a FEW of them being really coveted because they do give some research), and they are a reward for having invested into what are commonly almost worthless temples. The ratio there, as it stands, is currently at 280/213 = 129.629 repeating, roughly 130% the cost of the Cathedral. I can see that as being fairly reasonable for assignment on non-tech standard religion buildings.

Under this analysis, x5 cost would be way overboard I think.

(BTW, even keeping Choose Religions in place, this enforces some balance! You wouldn't want to pick later religions because the build costs on those buildings would be hell.)

This approach would keep us at a baseline based on techs. However, you may be considering how beneficial the buildings are in terms of yield and commerce returns in part of your thinking. If that's the case, we may need to add to the costing formula an evaluation of the value of the building, as others have been suggesting we do across all types of buildings. There are also some further considerations we could make here too, as compiled on this thread earlier - some of these are already being suggested for consideration in your proposal:

1. In-game technology level (forms the base amount)
2. Real-world material
3. Real-world complexity
4. Game benefit factor
5. Enthusiasm - sense of priority from the community
6. Category - when 2,3,4,5 or other category specific consideration applies to every building in the category.

So I'm just trying to at first consider how the religions buildings can all adhere to some logic on consideration #1.

#s 2 and 3 may be subconsciously playing into some of how you'd like to see these costed, but then both would differ by the actual religion type right?

#4 seems to be a big factor in how you are looking at a lot of buildings and seems to form the core cause to adjust away from the tech as a base. If we can figure out how to numerically RATE, in terms of say, -90% to +100% modifier to the base cost based on some tally of the benefits of the tags used on the buildings, that's something we could apply to a lot more than just religious buildings! All types could be capable of being tallied up to a result that suggests it's ahead or behind a common curve. Of course, whatever the common amount is (no modifier) would differ based on expectations that are established by the era our building is in. This is much along the lines of what Noriad was pointing out. An early mine operation should probably give +1 :Hammers: but a later game type mining operation for the same material should have gone through upgrade stages and be giving much more than +1 :Hammers:, perhaps it should be giving +Era Count of the prereq tech in :Hammers: instead and there should be upgrades for every era for every mine type. This is where I'm leaning myself. At this point, just offering that and a small penalty to compensate would put the building at +/- 0% modifier to the base cost of the building from being at the 'standard of benefit for that era'. From those standards of benefits, we can plot out % modifier gradients to the base cost as the building becomes more or less beneficial compared to the modern standard for that building.

That's a lot to map out but it seems to be what the modder is actually doing in the subconscious (and somewhat inaccurately) when we establish costs for buildings with benefit level AND tech in mind.

Am I making sense here?

#5 is how much the people of the city would get behind the effort and chip in, making it potentially cheaper. This would certainly potentially apply for temples and possibly even cathedrals, no? We don't want to get TOO much into trying to measure how much by measuring the amount of religious influence in the city... or do we? With the Ideas project, once that's in place, we could create speed of construction modifier effects based on the % influence of the religion in the city so maybe as a base this shouldn't be a factor, just something that later we can include in our game structure.

#6 would be categorical catchalls for factors that simply apply to that category for some reason, such as Rmi's statement:
The town watch / patrol etc buildings are pretty good and upgrade your police. They can be 125 or 150%
Do we have any real reason for this that isn't considered in #1-#5 though? And those can vary by the building. A Castle may be a passive defense building by category, like a wall, but most walls are far less complex in terms of their engineering plans and construction efforts, so should the passive defense category have a flat adjustment for engineering plans and construction efforts or should this vary by building more than by category?

But say in the case of LE unit training and operations buildings as mentioned here in Rmi's post, one could endlessly speculate as to how involved the building itself would need to be and would it not then be easier to apply that +25% to all of them because they give access to the best LE units available (a quick proxy method of compensating for factor #4 across the board with an assumption that the buildings are balanced before the unit access factor is considered.)

So there's a lot to think about there. At the moment, keeping things to tech considerations alone, I think we've determined that the following process should currently apply to temples and monasteries and cathedrals:

1) If it's a type I specialbuildinginfo, then the tech prerequisite applies based on the standard tech that accesses, UNLESS the religious tech is more advanced (which gives us a lot of auditing work on these buildings!) in which case you use the x-grid of the religion's tech to assign a proxy new selection and recost to that new proxy tech column.

2) If it is a type II, then the tech prerequisite applies a proxy value based on the xgrid for the tech for the religion, whether the religion is earlier OR later than the standard tech prerequisite for the type I specialbuilding type. (most of these are good for monasteries as the baseline)

3) Monasteries form the basis where the non-standard costing based on the religious tech proxy prereq applies.

4) Temples -25% cost of the Monasteries

5) Cathedrals +30% cost of the Monasteries

Now we can discuss adjusting these modifiers to cost based on the other factors, #2-6.

There are two Monastery level buildings. The first is given the specialbuildingtype of Monastery and that assigns them all to have the same tech prereq. If you are saying that IF the religion is of a later tech than the building should be adjusted, that actually does make some sense and I happened across that thought myself. But I didn't know if we should establish that as a standard or not. In this case, then Monastery II type buildings (by specialbuildingtype), where the special building type info does not define a prerequisite tech, would make sense for them to have an assignment using the religious tech associated with them as a proxy tech for establishing cost as well and that makes them usually cheaper, which is exactly how they are assigned now.

Temple I SpecialBuildingTypes open up a bit earlier than monasteries and are thus cheaper and temples themselves are commonly much less rewarding across the board in almost all religions. Thus, if anything, they should be about 80% of the cost of the Monasteries... Perhaps whatever the standard tech access difference in ratio terms exists between the techs for standard temple access and the tech for standard monastery access anyhow. And then if the monestery access, proxied by the religion tech being more modern than the ... what is it? Meditation tech? that allows access to standard monasteries, then temples would be reduced just under the monastery costs in the same religion.

Thus, Monastery cost, being a standard of 216 by being on TECH_MEDITATION, showing up on X33 on the tech columns, and standard Temple cost, being a standard of 160 by being on TECH_PRIESTHOOD, showing up on X26 on the tech columns, shows us that the cost of a temple where the temple and the monastery are both accessed by the same religious proxy tech instead of an assigned tech prereq should be at about 75% of the cost of the monastery, which picks up the cost of the religious tech by X grid. (technically 74.074074 (with the 074 repeating, derived by getting the % of 216 that 160 represents by dividing 160 by 216))

That wouldn't be too hard to reconfigure. Cool.

The specialbuildings that give all temples and all monasteries at the same tech is not used for any but the basic religions because those techs make no sense for many of the extra religions. I did try and make a new set of specialbuildings for monastery/missionaries but that did not work.

It is more a matter of those religions that get their religious buildings buildings before that tech after is not a problem imo.

Sorry I am getting a vision migraine, no pain just can't see the screen :( I'll get back to the rest after a rest.

It is more a matter of those religions that get their religious buildings buildings before that tech after is not a problem imo.
I found that it was an issue for religions that come up much earlier, yes, but also for those that come up quite a bit later. Mormonism, Scientology, both had some severe cost discord and I'm not happy with how I left them, not having sorted out something of the process I just suggested at least. But then that makes me think that even Medieval religions, for example, are coming up late enough that they should be cost adjusted on their buildings. Christian and Islamic Cathedrals are certainly a lot more involved for architects and construction efforts than an Asatru, Caananite, Hindu, or (standard) Buddhist equivalent. Much of that may be considered a matter of classical designs stemming from the age of emergence of that religion. So perhaps even those simpler religions should be recosted for their buildings. I currently only cost out type II buildingtypes with variety that deviated from the standard tech of access for type I buildings. For Scientology and Mormonism, this means some of their buildings are crazy cheaper than they probably should be while others are given a cost a lot more reasonable to the era of the tech that accesses those religions. Thus the discord.

Sorry I am getting a vision migraine, no pain just can't see the screen :( I'll get back to the rest after a rest.
Take your time. I just explained a LOT of thinking and didn't well edit my writing so let me know if anything confuses the reader and I'll try to clarify.

The pick your religion option seems to break the game on a fundamental level.

With it 'ON', Any religion could be your first in the prehistoric era which means your first temple would be a nice hut and needs to be costed appropriately.
Then, when you hit MEDITATION, you would want to build the monastery or equivalent building at an appropriate cost. And subsequently the cathedral.

However the religions are in no way balanced to each other. I'm gonna go for Confucianism and grab myself the best wonder (free movement) and cheapass science buildings.
So to prevent that we have to balance the religions against each other, which can't truly be done, OR cost them appropriately to their benefits. That would make buildings unattainable early anyway.
With this option 'ON' as the default later religions would have their buildings be incredibly cheap.

Without this choice, all religions could have their building costs based on the exact tech position of the religion itself. Or later for monasteries and cathedrals.
This offcourse means some religions are woefully underpowered or overcosted but we already knew that.

IMHO, the best course of action is to give up the 'pick your religion' option and then cost and balance all religions based on their tech position. This means an overhaul of the religions with these metrics.

In any case, we CANNOT have a costing system that caters to both worlds.

Choose Religions is an old vanilla throwback that warps C2C. I have long thought it should be deleted.
'pick your religion' option

Reactions: tmv
I'm all for costing out the religious buildings so as to be a deterrent to selecting religions you'll hardly be able to benefit from due to the exhorbitant costs of their buildings for the era if you're not up to speed, but removing the option just slaps the face of those who love the option too much to see it go. For game balance and design intent of the mod, I wouldn't ADVISE the use of Choose Religions anymore, but its too fun to have it available still.

Furthermore, I think on closer analysis, that the forerunner 'best' religions are actually more balanced to each other than ya might think, especially with a bit more tech based costing to help with that.

However the religions are in no way balanced to each other. I'm gonna go for Confucianism and grab myself the best wonder (free movement) and cheapass science buildings.
So to prevent that we have to balance the religions against each other, which can't truly be done, OR cost them appropriately to their benefits. That would make buildings unattainable early anyway.
With this option 'ON' as the default later religions would have their buildings be incredibly cheap.
Something to consider. Perhaps the design has never been to have Religions "balanced". And perhaps they never should be either.

I think we should balance religions not just because it is 'inclusive' and all that, but because a balanced religion system gives great gameplay.

We have to balance them somewhat on their tech position and adversaries in their era.
I'm gonna make a topic for it.

All religions doesn'n have to be equally powerfull, just like all world wonders doesn't have to be equally powerfull. I'm all for game balance, but I preffer well balanced inbalance.
Your opponent has a better relogion than you, but it's okay because you have the chance of getting more powerfull wonders.

I'm not happy with the religions in C2C but we must be carefull not to set up a generic system where all the religions are identical.

Balance is often a matter of perspective. One player, like me, may REALLY like Asatru and find it allows him to leverage his 'strike hard' playstyle to extreme success. Another may find that Scientology is the most beneficial because of the incredible gold benefits. Another may love, as you do, the massive army speed you can get out of a well placed Confusion shrine, while others still would argue that the research benefits from Andeanism far outweigh all of those things, while still some might argue that Judaism gives the most benefit to priests and thus has the widest range of benefit to production, while another would say that production has nothing on the Hellsmouth Dogs and production boosting core buildings from Voodoo. Yet another player may argue that if you hoard the wonders that give additional yields from the core buildings of the religion, then clearly Mesopotamianism or Yoruba, having the most basic buildings, would give you the best edge. And some find that the massive health and food benefits of Shamanism and Druidic religions make them the best to reach out for. Maybe you really like boosting your riding units and have a huge speed/surround strategy so love the wind horse promos granted by Tengriism.

There's almost always something that makes a religion awesome in comparison to the others.

There are also more cost considerations coming in future edit waves. Size of the building, complexity, things like that will eventually modify these base values we're getting from the x-grid. Maybe for off planet stuff we need 'establishment' phases defined and that can create an established % modifier to the end cost for those buildings on offworlds?

That would work. So e.g. the first few columns would have a multiplier of 0.25, representing the establishment phase, and the next few columns would be 0.50, representing the early growth phase, and then most multipliers settle around 1.0 for mature colonies. Or something like that. That would better allow reuse of buildings between different zones, an idea I'm not too thrilled about on a very large scale but others have advocated.
This just needs some further defining into some described 'rules' that can be recorded here.

I'm going to be looking at my next rounds of causes for cost evaluations relatively soon and want to be able to summarize these causes in all cases if I can. In some kind of gathered location, probably in the modder's documentation thread.

Again that list is:
1. In-game technology level (forms the base amount)
2. Real-world material
3. Real-world complexity
4. Game benefit factor
5. Enthusiasm - sense of priority from the community
6. Category - when 2,3,4,5 or other category specific consideration applies to every building in the category.
but how it applies to different types of buildings has been discussed in some depth for religious buildings to follow special rules, for example:

RELIGIONS:
1) If it's a type I specialbuildinginfo, then the tech prerequisite applies based on the standard tech that accesses, UNLESS the religious tech is (significantly?) more advanced (which gives us a lot of auditing work on these buildings!) in which case you use the x-grid of the religion's tech to assign a proxy new selection and recost to that new proxy tech column.

2) If it is a type II, then the tech prerequisite applies a proxy value based on the xgrid for the tech for the religion, whether the religion is earlier OR later than the standard tech prerequisite for the type I specialbuilding type. (most of these are good for monasteries as the baseline)

3) Monasteries form the basis where the non-standard costing based on the religious tech proxy prereq applies.

4) Temples -25% cost of the Monasteries (Note that standard temples are already very close to this due to the difference in tech base costs so their costs at 160 if at Priesthood are accurate.)

5) Cathedrals +30% cost of the Monasteries (Note that the standard Cathedral is already right at this due to the difference in tech base costs so their costs at 280 at music makes all standard Cathedrals perfectly cost with no need to adjust.)

6) Extension buildings are -50% cost.

Last edited:
Top Bottom