Buy "Civ: Beyond Earth" NOW or WAIT for Expansions / Fixes?

Will you Buy Civ:BE or Wait for Expansions/fixes

• Buying now (or soon) - I can't wait to have it!!!

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Waiting - I want a finished product, expansions or at least some fixes first!

Votes: 69 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sommerswerd

Shades of the Sun
Supporter
Hey Everybody! I'm, happy to see this community still vibrant and active!:D

So... bottom line first... we have a new installment to the series we all know and love, Civilization: Beyond Earth, AKA Civ 6, AKA Civ BE, AKA BE:

So my question is for EVERYONE... both those of you who HAVE played as well as those who HAVE NOT played it...

To those who have already played it... Would you recommend buying it or waiting for the expansions to make it a more complete game?

AND

To those who have NOT played it... Are you buying or waiting? If you have time, please comment on whether you are waiting for patches/fixes, or expansions, or for THE expansion, as in the FINAL expansion... ala Brave New World (Civ 5 BNW) or Beyond The Sword (Civ 4 BTS).

And for those who feel like reading more;)... Some background info:

I have been playing Civ since the original Civilization Game (I first played original Civilization way back in 1993:old:).

Since that time I have played every single Game at least once including Revolutions and Alpha Centauri. I even bought/played the inspired by Civ game, Civilization: Call to Power game (very enjoyable game BTW:)). I have also played the console versions of the games (Civ 2, Civ 3, and Revolutions on XBox). Besides Call to Power, I have owned Civ 2, Civ 3 Complete, Civ 4 (incl Warlords and BTS), and I now own Civ 5 (all DLC).

Civ 4 has been my favorite installment so far. In fact it was through Civ 4 that I was first introduced to this community, because I (like many others) experienced the horrible awful, no-good, very bad, graphics card issue with the blacked out terrain:cry:. I got Civ 4 very soon after it came out to find that Civ 4 was unplayable on my laptop AND desktop! I found Civfanatics trying to discover a solution to the problem, and I fortunately I discovered that I was not alone. Ultimately, I ending up buying/installing a new graphics card for my desktop and eventually a new, updated laptop (not just for Civ... but yeah, mostly for Civ :blush:). Once I got Civ 4 working properly, I had what I can only desrcibe as a 9 year love affair with Civ 4.:love:

So obviously... I love this game... and when Civ 5 came out I was very excited to continue my love fest with the new game. I bought Civ 5 vanilla the day it came out and once again the game was unplayable for me... The game was just too slow and laggy on my compy even on the crappy lowest settings :badcomp:. In addition, when I read all the reviews, everyone who was actually able to play the game was saying it was not as fun, a buggy mess and an overall disappointment. So I put Civ 5 back on the shelf and returned to Civ 4 for the next 4 years. Even when the Gods & Kings expansion came out, I was too jaded to spend any more money on Civ 5.

But by the time BNW came out, I had a new, more powerful compy, and the reviews here were so good, that I bought BNW and tried Civ 5 again... And I loved it. I loved it so much in fact that I finally put Civ 4 away and now all I play is BNW. (I did have to upgrade to an SSD to make load times more bearable:mischief:)

So about BE... At a glance, this game seems alot like an extensive re-skinning to me, almost more like a glorified Mod, or Civ 5 expansion. I remember feeling the same way about Alpha Centauri after Civ 2, which is why I never really got into it.

I am a history fan, and as a rule, I have always enjoyed the historical aspect of Civ. Re-skinnings have not been as attractive to me, with the exceptions of the ones that enhance or extend the timeline, rather than creating a new one from scratch or completely reinventing the "world."

So for example... I loved the Next War and RFC mods but I did not like Fall from Heaven or Afterworld. I have mixed feelings about Final Frontier because it was less like a "re-skinning" and more like a completely new game, but at the same time, it was not in-depth enough to be engaging. Maybe if it had been released as its own game it would have had enough depth to hold my interest... who knows ? :dunno:

The Wikipedia page for Alpha Centauri has already dubbed this game a "Spiritual sequel" to Alpha Centauri, which I never really got into...for the reasons mentioned above...

So again, for those of you who have already played BE... Does this seem like a situation similar to Civ 5, where I should just wait for the "finished" product? Is this enough of a "new" game to make it more than just a re-skinning?

And for those who haven't played yet, do you share any of my concerns? Are you just going to take the plunge (like I did with Civ 4 and Civ 5), consequences be damned:p? Or are you going to play it safe and wait for a more finished product? I am leaving the poll open for 3 years... I figure by then the "finished" version will be out, making this poll moot :goodjob:

It s not in a perfect state but I m hooked on the game and so are my friends.

The SP is quite immersive , the empire is fun to grow , the units are just great imho. the story behind the great mistake is nice. The science tree is innovative.

I d recommend the game.

I've been playing Civ for years and have loved all the games. Usually, I wait until at least one expansion comes out. The one time I chose to buy one of the games when it first came out was Civ V and I could not stand the gameplay. I ended up liking it more with Gods and Kings, but it wasn't until BNW that I really fell in love with the game. I expect the same thing will happen here. I would rather wait a few months until an expansion/ set of patches comes out that fixes the worst aspects of the game.

Thanks Karmah! I think my main worry is a repeat of the dissapointments with Civ 4 and 5. When you say SP is immersive, can you explain a little? I mean Civ is always addictive... one more turn, one more turn... but is it more than that?

Icaria, I know exactly how you feel. Are you waiting for the Final expansion or just the first one?

Well, opinons are like canards...sooooooooo, can't really say what is best.

I'll admit that I have a propensity to 'acquire' games. Also, I rarely pay full price for a game on release day, the last time I did was with Fallout 3 only because I am a huge fan of the franchise and was so excited about it. CivBE is another instance of my being so excited about a game that I deemed it worthy of the full release price. Sure, it has bugs. Most games that come out these days do and it is my opinion that it is an industry issue and not a uniquely Firaxis issue.

I had to have this game and I don't regret paying for it, I got the immersive and imagination-encouraging experience that I was looking for. It's not perfect, but neither are you or I. :king:

only played the demo and watched a couple of streams:

i agree with most of the negative points raised: bland leaders, questionable balance, pointless aliens after turn ~70 and micromanagement hell regarding trade routes.

however the core game is still quite good and i am playing smac at the moment, so i will buy it soonish, although i probably should wait.

If you can handle the game in an imperfect state and enjoy it regardless of that until it's been patched, buy it now.

If you require absolute perfection, wait or don't buy it. Also, please come tell us regularly how things we enjoy don't meet your standards.

Perfection seems impossible... For me its about fun. Civ 4 and 5 were not playable for me when I bought them, but that was more a hardware issue. But the difference was the Civ 4 was fun while Civ 5 not so much. On the other hand, Revolutions was fun, but it just wasnt "deep" enough.

Civ always meets my standards... its just a matter of how long it takes ;)

Played several games, to various states of completion, and I just can't do it any more. The game is too lifeless, the color palette is horrid, the leaders not distinct enough, the units too 'meh', etc. ... It's just hard to really care about anything that's going on in the game since everything is so hopelessly generic and repetitive.

Sadly, it's about what I expected, so I have no one to blame for buying it but myself. I would definitely wait for an expansion or two.

The bottom line, for me, is that I have far too many other games--which are a million times better/more rewarding--to spend my limited free time on.

I preordered it with 25% off at GMG and don't regret it. However, I would recommend waiting for a steam sale at this point. The game is good, but not 50$ good.

I'm not looking for perfection. But if they don't improve the readability of the UI I'll pass on this permanently.

I bought it yesterday and I love it. The UI could use some tweaking but a quick forum search seems to find what I'm looking for. I think this game is in a much more playable state than Civ 5 was when it came out.

I'm waiting for one or two balance patches to come out first.

From the demo. To me, the user interface is too bad and the game looks too ugly at the moment for me to buy it.
Fix the barely distinguishable miasma, bring back a strategic view, make it so we can see what we're doing in the city screen.Until these are fixed, it's a no buy.

If you can handle the game in an imperfect state and enjoy it regardless of that until it's been patched, buy it now. If you require absolute perfection, wait or don't buy it. Also, please come tell us regularly how things we enjoy don't meet your standards.
Wow, s/he asked a perfectly reasonable question, explaining what they was looking for, like/dislike. It was all about the game, no judgement about what other players might want. Exactly what did you see in this post that warranted such a dickish response?

Pretty much everyone else is to be commended for their responses, staying in the spirit of a community having fun, and not going ... there.

It needs one simple patch to be great, in 6 months I expect it to be on par with BNW yet smaller in content. So it depends, if you can stand it, wait until the next sale. But then that's true of all games nowadays.

Top Bottom