Buying a House?

About 20% of Australian households are now landlords, about 2.3 million of the 10 or so million total households. With a population of 26 million people we have 2 million landlords, while the US with 350 million only has maybe 10 million landlords.

The tax system is perverse, with "negative gearing" people who buy a second house to lease out get to count the difference between the rental income and their housing costs like mortgages as a tax deduction against all other income, meaning if you're rich enough to buy investment properties you also get to use that to lower your income tax substantially in a way nobody can with any other investments. This system strongly encourages everyone who can afford a deposit to buy extra houses rather than do some actually productive investment in something useful, and it creates a lot of house price inflation plus a political imperative to ensure house prices just keep going up forever because so many people's financial interests are directly tied to house prices.

So we have a whole generation of baby boomers who won the birth lottery with cheap housing in past decades, who have seen their pre-existing asset values massively inflate in the last 20 or 30 years or so, and then parlayed that inflated asset base into buying investment properties because it's the most profitable, lowest risk, most tax rort friendly thing to do with spare money.

That behaviour ensures prices keep rising, creates a large voting constituency for opposing density, public housing, zoning reform, tax reform, and other housing affordability measures of any kind. Hoarder brains.

And no, when they die those investment properties won't be available to current younger renters in general, they'll just become investment properties inherited by their kids specifically, who will also then simply become replacement landlords.

Last edited:
A pretty damn marked voting constituency, in fact:
1692071948851.png
1692072007076.png

Boomers are a doomed lot. They are aging, downsizing, going to nursing homes and dying. All their homes will be going to the market as time passes.
Fun fact - boomers in 2022 bought more houses than any other generation, and it wasn’t particularly close, and the # of them that are a second home or actually an upgrade to something more modern or better located is enough to make me combust.

How did they/we "pull up the ladder"?

Basically voted for tax cuts eliminating things they benefitted from themselves.

Things we used to have.

1. State provided social housing.

2. Free tertiary (gone 1993)

3. Cheap electricity and phone services (state owned). Sold off.

4. Free food at school (partially back)

5. Universal stipend for having kids (partially returned)

6. State assistance to buy your first house (they basically lent you the deposit)

7. Cheap housing. Low immigration

8. Higher wages (neo liberal reforms gutted the unions they voted for that)

9. Well paid state jobs. Leave school aged 16 get job easily thats well paid.

10. Benefits paid from age 15. Leave school get job, get hurt get paid.

11. Free doctors visits and dental care (only free for kids now).

12. State sponsored apprenticeship achemes. They paid your employer to raje on apprentice.

Basically cradle to grave welfare state. Got phased out 1984-93.

In USA post war housing assistance, veteren retraining, good schools, easier access to college and healthcare. Even if you didn't get those benefits directly you benefited as a kid via your patents getting that help.

He'll you could afford to have kids and get married around age 20 or graduation. Your wife wouldn't have to work and got a stipend herself to help.

About 20% of Australian households are now landlords, about 2.3 million of the 10 or so million total households. With a population of 26 million people we have 2 million landlords, while the US with 350 million only has maybe 10 million landlords.

The tax system is perverse, with "negative gearing" people who buy a second house to lease out get to count the difference between the rental income and their housing costs like mortgages as a tax deduction against all other income, meaning if you're rich enough to buy investment properties you also get to use that to lower your income tax substantially in a way nobody can with any other investments. This system strongly encourages everyone who can afford a deposit to buy extra houses rather than do some actually productive investment in something useful, and it creates a lot of house price inflation plus a political imperative to ensure house prices just keep going up forever because so many people's financial interests are directly tied to house prices.

So we have a whole generation of baby boomers who won the birth lottery with cheap housing in past decades, who have seen their pre-existing asset values massively inflate in the last 20 or 30 years or so, and then parlayed that inflated asset base into buying investment properties because it's the most profitable, lowest risk, most tax rort friendly thing to do with spare money.

That behaviour ensures prices keep rising, creates a large voting constituency for opposing density, public housing, zoning reform, tax reform, and other housing affordability measures of any kind. Hoarder brains.

And no, when they die those investment properties won't be available to current younger renters in general, they'll just become investment properties inherited by their kids specifically, who will also then simply become replacement landlords.

I don't think we had negative gearing here but no capital gains tax.

Buy house for 60k in 80s sell it now for 900k pocket 840k tax free.

They added a brightside test. Just have to own the house for ten years+ no tax. Supposed to reign in house flipping.

Now buy house for million dollars, flip it year later for 1.2 million pay 33% tax on 200k pocket 134k profit. Until bubble pops anyway.

" My house earns more than me". "I worked hard" old boomers (probably).

One house got sold recently 280k (rural area) last sold 1991 for $3000.

House next door in 1998 14k. Recently sold 300k.

Last edited:
Fun fact - boomers in 2022 bought more houses than any other generation, and it wasn’t particularly close, and the # of them that are a second home or actually an upgrade to something more modern or better located is enough to make me combust.
Oh so it's a US phenomenon too then

A note for non Australian readers is the Liberal Party here are the conservatives.

Their solution to our housing issue while in government was to tell those who couldn't afford home ownership to "eat less smashed Avocado".

Here our versions of the Liberals want to remove the few restrictions labour added end throw open the visa doors.

Taking a quick look at estate agent websites, it looks like it averages about £260k for a flat, £450k for a terrace house, £540k for a semi-detached and £750k for a detached house in my town. And said town is far from the most expensive in the area....

Taking a quick look at estate agent websites, it looks like it averages about £260k for a flat, £450k for a terrace house, £540k for a semi-detached and £750k for a detached house in my town. And said town is far from the most expensive in the area....

Terrace house vs senior detached vs detached what are they? I think I know but not 100% sure.

Terrace = lots of houses stuck together in a row
Semi = two houses stuck together
Detached = one house on it's own

Those middle ones all just get collapsed into "Semi-detached, row or terrace house, townhouse etc" in Australian census data and general real estate parlance. It's just stuff between apartments and free standing houses.

I don't think semi-detached, ie specifically sharing one wall with one other dwelling, also known as a duplex, is common in Australian cities at all, relative to townhouses/terraces. At least not compared to the UK.

Here in the UK, semi-detached houses seem to make up the bulk of middle-class suburbia - or at least, they have done in the past, I'm not that up on what new developments contain. Something like this:
Spoiler :

Terraces on the other hand carry much more of an implication of being working class, going back to those built for factory workers in the 19th century. There are of course some places with larger terraced houses for richer people, but those aren't what would probably come to mind when you reference terraced housing to a Brit.

Ah there's a few places like that here but they're older stock.

Generally free standing modern terrace would be more like apartments.

Semi detached woukd like to say we don't gave them but there may be the occasional one eg granny flats or older places.

Most famous attached set locally is "coronation street" think they're late 19th or early 20th century places near the university.

Here in the UK, semi-detached houses seem to make up the bulk of middle-class suburbia - or at least, they have done in the past, I'm not that up on what new developments contain. Something like this:
Spoiler :

Terraces on the other hand carry much more of an implication of being working class, going back to those built for factory workers in the 19th century. There are of course some places with larger terraced houses for richer people, but those aren't what would probably come to mind when you reference terraced housing to a Brit.
Makes sense, Australian suburbia all jumped very quickly to free standing houses in the post war boom so I think semi detached had a pretty narrow window of time to exist. Whereas townhouses/terraces are higher density so always had their place.

Election year.

Right basically wants to remove the various rules brought in by Labour to dampen the housing market.

Top Bottom