C2C - Buildings Discussion

EldrinFal

King
I started this thread for comments, suggestions, and critiques regarding buildings in C2C.

One thing I've noticed is that the Administration-type buildings such as Village Hall, Town Hall, City Council, etc. say they expand the working area around the city (at the mid to upper level tiers). But then there is the option in the game configuration for that expanded working area as well, which I believe triggers with a higher cultural level for the city.

If the option is NOT selected in the game configuration, would the cities still allow for the 3 working tile radius with the Admin buildings? Or is this is a case of one foot stepping on the other?

I actually think the Admin building concept makes sense more than the Cultural influence. I'm curious if the majority of people use the larger workable tile setting and if so, if that should be an integrated feature instead of an option, and make it based on the Admin building instead of Culture.

Thoughts?

Well, I think it's fine as it is. (Ah, I said this again. :p)
IMO, Culture is a really underpresented field in the game.
Land grabbing may be the only area where culture is actually useful or its importance shines.
We need more ways to make culture useful or important rather than lessen its use.

Land grabbing may be the only area where culture is actually useful or its importance shines.
We need more ways to make culture useful or important rather than lessen its use.

Larger cities option enabled just allows 3 tiles radius working - it still needs the building to achieve it, but the building itself needs the culture to be built in the first place, so it's no an either-or

Larger cities option enabled just allows 3 tiles radius working - it still needs the building to achieve it, but the building itself needs the culture to be built in the first place, so it's no an either-or

I thought the admin buildings just require City size?

I'm definitely FOR making Culture more significant... hmmm... well I suppose even vanilla set the precedent by making expanding culture open up additional tiles to work. To me it makes less sense that a center for liberal arts and culture would allow for more workable tiles, as opposed to government (local) size and capability, but the trend is already there, so I suppose that is reason enough to not change it. In which case I wonder if the Admin buildings should even be involved?

I'm definitely FOR making Culture more significant... hmmm... well I suppose even vanilla set the precedent by making expanding culture open up additional tiles to work. To me it makes less sense that a center for liberal arts and culture would allow for more workable tiles, as opposed to government (local) size and capability, but the trend is already there, so I suppose that is reason enough to not change it. In which case I wonder if the Admin buildings should even be involved?

The admin buildings are there for (a) realism; and (b) to make you pay for your expansion. I like them

The admin buildings are there for (a) realism; and (b) to make you pay for your expansion. I like them

I meant involved in the expansion of the working tiles. Not get rid of them. I like them too. I just want to be sure they are working properly and in synch with the cultural aspect.

And the reason I brought it up was because I've seen my towns working 3 tiles before building an admin building that stated "Expands working tiles..." So either multiple admin buildings have that in the description and it is redundant, or the culture is enough to work the extra tiles.

Just leave it as it is - I've just come back after a break for a couple of weeks and I've seen a slew of recent suggestions to remove this option from startup menu, or remove that building - I want stuff added, not removed. Certainly don't remove stuff from the options menu on starting a game, we don't all want to play the same game every time!

Confirming you don't need the building, just the culture level work 3 tiles.

Thanks for that. It is what I had thought, but couldn't confirm since I was at work. :mischief:

Just leave it as it is - I've just come back after a break for a couple of weeks and I've seen a slew of recent suggestions to remove this option from startup menu, or remove that building - I want stuff added, not removed. Certainly don't remove stuff from the options menu on starting a game, we don't all want to play the same game every time!

At this point I'm not suggesting the option be removed. However, the mechanics should at least work as intended. If it is supposed to be that both the culture AND building are required (when the option is turned on), and that isn't actually happening, then it is a bug that should be corrected.

I do agree in part with that it should mainly be the building that increases the working tile size. As it is you need the Influential Culture level anyway to build it but can "get away" without the increased maintenance by simply not building the administrator building.
I state that the extra maintenance cost is a pittance considering the worth of the extra plots one can both utilize and get more resources in city vicinity from.

The part of me that doesn't agree points out that for the building one needs a certain tech and can't get that extra radius before one reaches said tech then.

@Hydro

The Canoe Builder seems to be around for a very long time. Should this building become obsolete once say the Shipyard/Boatyard can be created? Or is it needed for something else?

i'd say not before bridge building as canoes would be used to transport people over rivers, btw canoe builders can be built along rivers to give extra trade income. Maybe canoe builders could be replaced by a bridge building (along rivers not on coastal), and be made obsolete by a naval civic. OTOH canoes would long be the only way to transport goods on water along rivers so maybe they should onle be replaced by another river transport building.

i'd say not before bridge building as canoes would be used to transport people over rivers, btw canoe builders can be built along rivers to give extra trade income. Maybe canoe builders could be replaced by a bridge building (along rivers not on coastal), and be made obsolete by a naval civic. OTOH canoes would long be the only way to transport goods on water along rivers so maybe they should onle be replaced by another river transport building.

I don't think the Canoe Builder gives any kind of trade or commerce or gold as is. It's just to enable building canoes. There IS a River Port building though that sounds like what you're talking about.

Am I right in saying that there is no way to get power in a city apart from a local power station? That's pretty rough pre-fusion isn't it? The vicinity requirements make it such that you typically have quite a few cities (minority but still quite a few) that are unable to get power as far as I can see?

Am I right in saying that there is no way to get power in a city apart from a local power station? That's pretty rough pre-fusion isn't it? The vicinity requirements make it such that you typically have quite a few cities (minority but still quite a few) that are unable to get power as far as I can see?

What about the Dept of Energy Nat'l Wonder?

The Three Gorges Dam wonder does doesn't it.?

Top Bottom