1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

C3C Civilizations?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by andrew510, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Lord Wyvernil

Lord Wyvernil Chieftain

For new civilizations...

The Middle East is pretty much rounded out, so we'll move on from there.

Europe is pretty much set, though if a colonial scenario is in the works maybe adding the Dutch or Portuguese would be a good fit. Whichever one is chosen, the UU should probably be a naval unit (a replacement for the caravel or a frigate unique from the English UU). Austria is probably the only other European civilization left considering, and would probably have a late-medeival or early-industrial UU.

Adding the Incas and Mayas rounds out the Americas, though adding another Native American civ (maybe the Sioux) might add flavor.

Africa probably could use the most expansion. Adding in civilizations like Ethiopia or Songhai would help in this matter.

As for Asia, probably the most imporant addition would be a Southeast Asia civ like the Siamese. The Khmer (Cambodians) have also been mentioned. Either one would make a good addition.

2. Knight_Bond007

Knight_Bond007 Warlord

And once again....

Byzanthines! yeah!
    Any Latinamerican!...specially Gran Colombia!

A center-african nation, due to location in real-world based scenario.

alternative look to france, russia and england (specially france and russia)

3. Snoopy

Snoopy Prince

Ribannah, Singapore has the number #1 port in the world, and their airport is too.

4. NHJ BV

NHJ BV El Presidente

Rotterdam is the #1 port in the world.

5. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Yep.

Singapore and Shanghai are close in the race for second (a little over 250 MT each), but Rotterdam handles well over 300 MT cargo a year.

6. Ribannah

Ribannah Fighter Druid

Not by a long shot.

Passengers: #1 Atlanta (11.6M), #13 Amsterdam (5.4M), #21 Singapore (4.7M).

Cargo: #1 Memphis (540MT), #10 Singapore (246MT), #14 Amsterdam (206MT).

Movements: #1 Chicago (146K), #24 Amsterdam (61K), Singapore not in top 30.

7. Mark Young

Mark Young Formerly Sir Eric

I knew they sold a lot of Elvis memorabilia but I didn't think that it was that much;)

8. Irktar

Irktar Chieftain

I'd love more native american civs. Perhaps the Cherokee. They were one of the "5 civilized tribes" and developed their own alphabet.

9. Desmond Hawkins

Desmond Hawkins Deity

I hope that if they put in an Israeli civ they make it Sci/com

10. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

I'd like to see Poland in the game. Yes, I'm part Polish.....but to give Russia the monopoly of Eastern Europe when there are many groups there....well.

I'd even support the Polish-Lithuanian union that they shared for some time.

11. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

The Dutch and Portuguese have been confirmed as the new European civs by the GameSpot preview...

Me happy now! The Dutch are in!

12. nalves

nalves sailing in a NAU

and me for the portuguese ;)

13. Portuguese

Portuguese Vassalising Spain

Due to new CIV traits I guess that combos are not real, but I agree with all of it.

PS: Port was part of Spanish crown for 60 years in almost 900 of existence. Besides, any Port consider that kind of statement as... you know. So, please, don't say it again. Thx.

14. Portuguese

I can give you reasons why a historical game that covers XII, XIII, XIV, XV , XVI , XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries is pointless without Portugal. :)
    (Please, don't be angry with me. Just showing my point.)

Seconded.

:)
    Tordesilhas treaty was crucial in world history, but in US they seem to ignore it :(
    I only forgive you because you are dutch ;)
    You newbies have a lot to live to achieve our age and cultural heritage ;)
    Yeah my grandgrandgrand...grandfather achieve to have a wonder of the world but till now it wasn't able to put its country in the game just because our king thought he was crazy and the opportunistic spanish king give him a fleet to persue his madness taht ended up right (to a part of the rest of the crue...) :rolleyes:

15. Portuguese

Port history is a mistery to many...

Indonesia and Nieuw Amsterdam (and some South Africa) was ridiculously small compared to all South American (BIG Brazil), African (too many to be referrenced, but for an example Portugal sominated Slaves commerce in ALL Atlantic coast for decades; in the end of XIX century it still had Green Cape, Sao Tome & Prince Islands, Bissau Guinea, and all rodesia, including Angola Mozambique and the territories between them), and Asian (control of Indian harbors and trades, Ormuz and its Persian trades, Manila harbor, part of Chinese trade, Japan trade with the west and a general control of the Indian ocean that granted gold from Mozambique to Manila passing through the very rich India's spice) from wich Macau and East Timor are the last spoils.

Since the Ceuta conquer in 1415 till the returning of Macau to China, Portugal built one of the biggest ever seen empire on the world, based on very profitable trading (1 to 80 in Indian spices and the even more profitable mining of Brazilian abundant gold in the XVIII and begining (they get independence...) on the XIX) and huge technological advance over all not european CIVs with powerfull NAUs (basically what in CIV3 is M-O-W) and Musquetman on earth, granting sea control and world not-european capital control (we were too few to control all the world we discover, so we just control capitals and enrich from the most profitable business, due to lack of tech-capable opponents)

"They also started relations with the African nation of Ethiopia." > We started with half of the world. Ethiopia is a piece of sand of that discover process we were into. Just refering Ethiopia is weird and seem to have the ignore the fact that we started relations with so many others...

"As for Portugal, they had a large portion of the worlds rubber in Brazil(Until the British stole it and took some to Malaysia)." > Gold was far more important! Brazilian fields and water supplies granted huge exports of sugar, coffee and many other goods. Gold was of course of greater importance. Rubber was important too, but I would remember of others too. I can also assure to anyone rubber trees were not all stolen to Malaysia. They were too many and they still exist in Brazil till this day being a good input to Brazil (foreigner) automobile industries. Malasya didn't become the #1 exporter IIRC.

Why do people think that Port was always a small countrie like it is today? How can so many people ignore the great Empire Portugal was one day?

16. Portuguese

I don't get that "Europe is too crowded" argument.

1 - Reality
    Europe and Middle East were always too crowded through history. That could be a advantage, not the opposite. It's only a way of the game come closer to truth.

2 - More easy scenarios
    Adding Port and Dutch will make possible more Euro and American conquests scenarios. In fact this seems to be a strong objective of the present Xp. American conquests will be now really cool. :cooool:

3 - History relevance of CIVs
    Other proposed CIVs (and many of the already in...) have not had the impact in history brought by Dutch and Portuguese. If Portugal, Spain and Holland didn't exist, Americas, Africa and Asia would be A LOT different from the way they are today. If France and England hadn't existed also, Americans would be hunting bulls today...

4 - Seafaring being added makes this CIVs a must-have.
    Again, Port and Dutch sea empires are crucial in a game that now has that trait.

17. Portuguese

Please give me a link :)

18. ChrTh

ChrTh Happy Yule!

Once more, there has been no confirmation for either. The Netherlands merely exist as part of a WWII Conquest, and the Portuguese are a reference in a Japanese Conquest. Neither constitutes proof.

Firaxis has also confirmed that in the WWII Conquest, there will be flags, not heads, for the Civs (see the Gamespot thread)

19. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Assuming the Portugese and Dutch are in there, and we know that the Mayans and Incans are in there - who do you think is left to be added? That still leaves three more Civs to be added.

I'd like some kind of Pacific Island Civ and maybe two more African ones. :)

20. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

You forgot the Hittites and Sumerians, and probably the Phoenicians. I think that will be all of them.

I was hoping for the Siamese and Polish, myself.