C3C(Mac): Initial Problems

one_hoop

Chieftain
I have the Aspyr C3C, which I'm running on a G4 iBook. (OSX 10.4.6, 1.07GHz, 768MB, Radeon9200 32MB VRam) I'm playing on a tiny world, so I can not yet meaningfully comment on performance other than to say that it has not been a burden even in the late game with a large number of units. It does keep my computer pretty hot though.

Ran through my first complete game finally (I bailed on the first two as they weren't any fun). Here are things that I noticed:

When in windowed mode, the full-screen version of the window stretches to the top of the monitor so that 1/2 a square (rhombus) is obscured by the title bar.

When zoomed out, the cities on the bottom of the screen do not have their info boxes.

I can not make radar towers. I have advanced flight, yet no button appears for workers to build radar tower.

This image illustrates these three problems to varying degrees. As the Celts, I had first won my continent from the Vikings. I then took out the Romans while simultaneously fighting off the Carthageneans. I ended up razing the Romans last two cities as I was afraid they would put me over the 66% Domination victory. The Romans were tougher than I had anticipated since I hadn't realized how _resourceless_ TOW Infantry would change the game. Since I had several stacks with armies, I inched them around the countryside taking advantage of the armies 4MP with auto-pillage. Currently they are divided into two main stacks plus one forward group that is blocking the advance of a group of Carthagenean settlers and mechanized infantry.

When I accepted the Carthagenean peace agreement I asked them for a worker, which I airdropped back into Rome with the intention of building my first radar tower between the two main stacks. You can see the cursor on the north side of the great fresh-water sea points to the location of the Carthagenian worker. The worker icons include 'build railroad', 'build fortress', 'mine', 'irrigte', 'plant forest', 'automate', 'build airfield', and 'build outpost'. No 'build radar tower' though! I also tried command (open-apple, actually)-T to no effect. You can see that he is on unimproved (roads only) grassland within my territory.

The title bar says "Grab" since that is what I used for the screen capture. However, you can still see where it covers up half of the menu/civopedia/advisors buttons.

The capture is interesting because you can see the dividing line between Theveste (shown) and Leptis Minor and Rusicade (info boxes/names not shown) even though Theveste is not even an entire tile to the north.

As an aside also note that the Carthagenian settlers/mech.Infantry are blocked in by my modern paratrooper to their southwest. I had done that accidentally, as I just made the MP to see what their airdrop range is (it's 8). However, since they ended up on city ruins and didn't bring any workers they are stuck there until I release them or they attack me... assuming that their culture does not expand to allow them to kick out my paratrooper, that is! (There are less than 23 turns until I reach 60,000 culture, so it is not inevitable.)

M@

PS Sorry that I didn't include the image in-line, but it should be attached. I'm a relative newb to vBulletin forums.

Attachments

• civ3zoomRadar.jpg
    civ3zoomRadar.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 159
one_hoop said:
When in windowed mode, the full-screen version of the window stretches to the top of the monitor so that 1/2 a square (rhombus) is obscured by the title bar.

Check what resolution you're running in window mode. The resolution may be too large for your monitor.

one_hoop said:
When zoomed out, the cities on the bottom of the screen do not have their info boxes.

If you mean those in the attached image, I assume they're not your cities, so you don't get to see your rivals production, etc.

one_hoop said:
I can not make radar towers. I have advanced flight, yet no button appears for workers to build radar tower.

You need to go into Preferences and click 'show advanced worker buttons.'

dojoboy said:
Check what resolution you're running in window mode. The resolution may be too large for your monitor.
Nope! That's what it does in Windowed mode if you select the full monitor resolution. I have two monitors and set it to run on the secondary screen in full resolution (280 x 1024). That leaves my primary screen with the menu bar and other apps displayed. In Windowed mode on a single screen, you either have to accept the menu bar covering the top of the Civ3 diplay, or reduce the size of the window.

If you mean those in the attached image, I assume they're not your cities, so you don't get to see your rivals production, etc.
Yes, but he's pointing out you don't even see the city names and pop counts. I haven't noticed that before, I must admit. I probably don't use zoom out very often, but I have to say my current game in PtW (GOTM 55) doesn't exhibit this effect. However, I'm not running it at full 1280 x 1024 currently.

You need to go into Preferences and click 'show advanced worker buttons.'
I don't play that far very often and even then I don't bother with Advanced Flight, so I wouldn't recognise a "Builld Radar Tower" button if it jumped up and bit me. But judging from the number of buttons in that screen shot I'd say he's probably already done that.

@one_hoop: If you want to send the save to me I'll see if my installation gives the same result. That'll tell us whether it's your installation or the C3C software that's doing it.

@one_hoop:

PS. I had a look at the Civilopedia for radar towers. It says you can only build them either on empty (ie unimproved) tiles, or on tiles with mine or irrigation plus road or rail. I can't be 100 % certain from your screenshot, but I suspect that tile doesn't have mine or irrigation, only a road. Is that your problem?

Edit: "According to the text you need Radio, though the list of prerequisites at the bottom says Advance Flight. " deleted. Looks like that was just the SGOTM mod I was running

AlanH said:
Nope! That's what it does in Windowed mode if you select the full monitor resolution. I have two monitors and set it to run on the secondary screen in full resolution (280 x 1024). That leaves my primary screen with the menu bar and other apps displayed. In Windowed mode on a single screen, you either have to accept the menu bar covering the top of the Civ3 diplay, or reduce the size of the window.

Yes, but he's pointing out you don't even see the city names and pop counts. I haven't noticed that before, I must admit. I probably don't use zoom out very often, but I have to say my current game in PtW (GOTM 55) doesn't exhibit this effect. However, I'm not running it at full 1280 x 1024 currently.

I don't play that far very often and even then I don't bother with Advanced Flight, so I wouldn't recognise a "Builld Radar Tower" button if it jumped up and bit me. But judging from the number of buttons in that screen shot I'd say he's probably already done that.

@one_hoop: If you want to send the save to me I'll see if my installation gives the same result. That'll tell us whether it's your installation or the C3C software that's doing it.

Why did I even bother. ;)

I revisited this game this weekend (built my spaceship, but continued playing to see what a nuclear war is like) and discovered that I did not have advanced flight. Hence no radar towers and no helicopters. I was confused by the fact that I'd gotten modern paratroopers with synthetic fibers without ever having amodern ones.

Also, you can build a city on ruins as it turns out. Makes a lot of historical sense, actually. So, as it turns out I would have lost the tower that I wanted to build to cultural expansion.

Sorry 'bout my confusion,
M@

Top Bottom