C3C PBEM: "Smuts" - the Boer War scenario-based PBEM

LouLong

In love with Rei Ayanami
***GAME FINISHED***

The Boers surrended in front of bad odds... after losing their capital.

Welcome to the Smuts (one of the main Boer generals) PBEM.

This PBEM uses the scenario "The Boer War" (or more precisely its next version about to come out).

You will need to download and install the scenario (including the main art files and the patch located here : http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=127850 (you can try out the current version, the update will come really soon).

This will be a test PBEM to get some more feedback in order to release the final version.

The recruitment is starting already so we can play this PBEM as soon as the version 1.2 is released.

Players : 2 to 6 (2 main civs but possibility to play as well one African civ or one European civ). African civs can be fun because of very different gameplay. European civs are much less active and would probably delay the game that last 127 turns.

- Loulong
- Ironduck
- Luthor

The civs are:

Main opponents : played by humans
- the British : Ironduck
- the Boers : Loulong

Other opponents : AI or humans

- Zulus : Luthor
- Portugal : AI
- Germany : AI
- Small African States : AI

Please send me a PM and your playing times (GMT + actual playing times)

SPECIAL RULES:
- 1st turn no fight
- no more than one alliance against one enemy.
- no alliance or deal of any kind the first turn
- NO city Razing

I'm interested :)

edit - and British would probably be my first choice, though I wouldn't mind playing Boers either..

I would be interested but will be out until next week. Probably one of the small nations, whatever fits or not at all if you get more interest.

Ok, I'd prefer to keep it small so 4 seems ok.

1 for the British (Ironduck apparently), 1 for the Boers (me I guess), Luthor for one of the native African civ (small African civs give more flexibility while Zulus are more "impis !") and Rick for Portugal.
BTW Rick I just to want make sure you (and Luthor as well albeit a bit less so) understand your part will be small and minor so it could be a bit frustrating.
On the other hand if one of you wants the Boer, I'd be happy to give them away.

Don't know what you mean by land transport. Did you apply the patch ?
Anyway the full version should be up before tomorrow night.

BTW for the Portuguese (full ones, I am just a fourth) I have finished the last version of Reconquista and am working on the MP version ( 8 civs including Portugal, Aragon, Castilla-Leon and Almohads played by humans and Almoravids, Navarra, Pirates (or Valence, not sure yet) and France played by AI). Expect the test PBEM in about 2 weeks if you are interested in that era, Portugal and its history.

Hum, then ill not play this one, sry about that he he, and you can reserve a space for me already on the reconquista scenario as Portugal! Hope it will be great, good luck on finishing, and please dont make the portuguese weaker, they where though warriors back then ;)

I'm looking forward to see what you have cooked up Lou! So far it's been two for two in terms of great multiplayer scenarios from you. Can you make it three for three? ;)

I probably won't get to look at the singleplayer, so I'll just be learning as I go as I did with the other two, which is more fun anyway.

Fair enough, Rick !

Ironduck : actually there also is the Falklands War (which makes 4) and soon the PBEM versio of Reconquista (I have great hopes for that one !). I hope it will be fine but there will be something strange if you reach the "bunkers".

Luthor : Zulus or Small African States ? If you play the Zulus, your civ might be short-lived. :)

@ all : files uploaded in the C&C/completed scenarios thread.
It is more than 24 MB because of the leaderheads.

@ all : no alliance with more than one AI civ (Portugal and German mostly + African states if Luthor takes the Zulus) against another power. So the British cannot make an alliance against the Boers with the Germans + the Portuguese. Now if they ally with Germany and Germany allies with Portugal, fine. No alliance on turn 1 anyway.

Sent turn to Luthor.

I found a weird thing already - my units only move two tiles I think, but the counter is wrong.. when I point them to a tile that says they can reach it in one turn they always come up one tile short of the target. The same thing happened with my ships, rather odd..

I take it we're not allowed to raze any cities?

Oh, and England sure has a nice gold reserve, yay imperalism!

Another bug btw - in the tech tree there are two that both say they bring better guns, they show the same result (two top ones), so I'm not sure what the effect of the second one is..

Right, no city razing. Updated it.

Movement bug : ???????? I really don't know. Movement is indeed at 2 on road.

Cannons : one is for the British, the other for the Boers. Only one appears to me, so only one should appear to you. Noted.

Treasury : yep, that's normal. But if the war drags on and you don't conquer the gold mines you will have problems with your treasury (except if you lose LOTS of troops !).

Reconquista : sure ! But it is a long scenario so I am working on reducing the turn number and the costs... for the MP version.
It sure would be completely different from most PBEMs we have played here.

Did some checking:

The movement at land is due to some units only being able to move one tile, but with railroad they get confused and think they can move more, even though they can't..

The tech thing with the cannons are the two top techs modern weapons and millitary imports, they both show gatlings and howitzers, so if the first one gives it what's the use for millitary imports?

There's no pedia info for the English wonders - what do they do?

I did not realize until now we were only 3 players.

Anyway, against AI or humans the Zulus are ready to conquer Pretoria!!! :cool:

I've changed the number of turn to 0 to make it the same as the AI otherwise could be confusing.

1. Game report :

A daring cavalry raid captured Colesburg, destroying 2 militias in the process. Weird. The British declare war but their troops are not here to fight the war...

2. File naming. I changed the turn number according to the AI so this new turn is again 01. No need for the week I think, especially as we are only 3 players so please stick to the simple naming code now.

3. Reinforcements : indeed forgetting the pedia is really stupid. Anyway England reinforcements produce a colonial infantry every 8 turns. Indian reinforcements produce a Bengal lancer every 10 turns. Hope you will enjoy their gfx !

4. The techs with double gatling/howitzers. Just ignore the second tech, it is useless to you but useful to me. Because these represent the units the Boers can get only (no stat differences, just different requirements). I will just need to make these units unbuildable by the British in the second tech and that will be fine. Just don't waste time going for it, there won't be any gain IIRC.

5. RR movement : strange. Be careful as well, crossing rivers takes one move as bridges were far from common there and then.

I don't understand why I had a guy standing outside Colesburg this turn (not on the road).. but he killed one of the cavalry in there I think, though couldn't tell due to animation being turned off.

The movement thing is really annoying, sometimes it seems to work, sometimes not.. and the ships keep moving less than they say they will.

Can we spy on the enemy?

Rumours have it that Portugal has chosen sides..

Edit - oh yeah, those white horses look great!

Top Bottom