Calling Math Nerds for Basic Arithmetic....

Harv

Emperor
This Forum might draw quite a few people who are quite brilliant at mental arithmetic. About a month and a half ago, I discovered arithmetic dot zetamac dot com and have been obsessed with it ever since.

My high score is 79 on the default settings, but that requires everything to line up and fall in perfectly. For myself, I consider 70 to be a decent run and 65 to be disappointing and 60 is where I feel every mistake I make. I learn a lot about myself by playing!

I have seen online scores over 120, which is something I find mind boggling.

Anybody else a regular player and kicking butt at it?

And hi! It has been a very long time since I have checked in here!

Eh, I like math but I'll pass. I suck at basic mental arithmetic most of the time, unless I know a trick of some sort. I think in orders of magnitude and crude approximations, and then use a calculator/computer to find the real answer, and then check it with my crude mental approximation to make sure I understand what's going on and that I didn't screw up.

42 is the answer to "what do you get when you multiply six by nine?"

Nothing else matters.

Six sevens you mean, unless you're making a Douglas Adams reference.

I always mix up 7x8 and 9x6 - never know which one is 54 and which is 56

This Forum might draw quite a few people who are quite brilliant at mental arithmetic. About a month and a half ago, I discovered arithmetic dot zetamac dot com and have been obsessed with it ever since.

My high score is 79 on the default settings, but that requires everything to line up and fall in perfectly. For myself, I consider 70 to be a decent run and 65 to be disappointing and 60 is where I feel every mistake I make. I learn a lot about myself by playing!

I have seen online scores over 120, which is something I find mind boggling.

Anybody else a regular player and kicking butt at it?

And hi! It has been a very long time since I have checked in here!
You can probably write a bot to get over 120. My initial score playing the game is 17 :)

Not need to memorise. We have tables!

I don't get this - 120 seconds and I get to do stuff like 384:6 multiple times. I tried this game 3 times and got my best score around 16. Since I teach math and I do multiplication in my head daily, 16 to your 65 seems way off.

I always mix up 7x8 and 9x6 - never know which one is 54 and which is 56
56=7*8 and doing your nines on your fingers (fold down your sixth finger and look at the rest - five fingers on the left and four on the right means the answer is 54) will help keep these from being confused.

Six sevens you mean, unless you're making a Douglas Adams reference.
Am I the only person in this thread who has watched Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and therefore immediately knows that 6 x 9 = 42?

:dubious:

First attempt... 32. :lol:

I'm sure I could get it higher if I started practicing everyday now, instead of being lazy. Train my brain and get it back into the highly efficient (in relative terms) calculation machine it once was.

But why would I? Hooray for shameless laziness. :goodjob:

Top Bottom