Camp NaNoWriMo: April 2020

Valka D'Ur

Hosting Iron Pen in A&E
Retired Moderator
It's that time of year again, in which people from all around the world commit to a writing project in the month of April. Camp events are more relaxed than the November event. Participants can choose their own word count goals, so there won't be the stress of trying to do 1667 words/day to reach 50,000 by the 30th (well, not unless you want to; I've seen people announce longer Camp projects).

Signup is here.

If you already have an account, you just need to log in, go to your dashboard, and announce your project. If you don't have an account, you'll need to make one. Have a username in mind (my name there is Timewalker).

Announcing your project involves deciding what genre it's in (yes, fanfiction is a genre!), and how many words you want to do between April 1 - 30th. You can upload an avatar and "book cover" for your project, if you want (my avatar there is a stylized cartoon beaver; might as well go for a Canadian stereotype, right? ;)).

One thing to note: The NaNoWriMo website went through a huge change last year. I have no idea if they've got all of the problems worked out yet that were noted during November last year. All we can do is try it out, and there are extensive forums where you can connect with Support and other writers (ie. I wouldn't have known how to choose the forum theme that is best for my eyes if someone else hadn't posted instructions).

We can have our own cabin if we want (minimum of 3 people this time, maximum of 20). It's like a private chat space, but since we have this thread here, I don't think we at CFC would need one there. Of course you're free to join other cabins; I joined a random one in August last year and found myself with a group of students from various countries around the world who were also fanfic writers (Harry Potter is still popular).

I've had a look at this year's banner/avatar. They're not as stunning as last year's (I LOVED last year's avatar, banner, and poster!), but they're still nice. They're free to download and use wherever you want, on forums, social media, etc.

Avatar (honestly it's smaller on forums):

Camp-NaNoWriMo-2020-avatar.jpg

Banner (I don't use these but some folks do):

Camp-NaNoWriMo-2020-banner.jpg

I invite all CFC members who are taking part to post here, share whatever ups, downs, and sidewayses they might have, triumphs and frustrations, questions and answers, and observations.

If you're not taking part, feel free to join the conversation - ask questions, make observations, encouragement is always appreciated, and if we can persuade you to join in, so much the better.

Late signups are okay; I think they allow that for at least a week into April, but check the website to verify. Some things have changed since last year, and I'm still not up on all of them.

The purpose of NaNoWriMo is to encourage people to write - first, get into the habit of writing. Don't worry about quality at first - improvement will come with practice. Second - have fun.

Write on!

I added you.

Don't really know if I'll bother trying. We'll see.

I added too.

Although NaNaWriMo strongly encourages its authors to start from scratch (research and outlines are okay), this isn't an iron rule and the NaNaWriMo cops aren't going to bust you for any violations.

My intention is to take this opportunity to do some housecleaning. My novel,The Count of Monte Banco, has sat nearly finished for months. :sleep: If I recall correctly I have only three partial chapters to go, maybe 6-8000 words total. I believe I'll take a whack at finishing this. :yeah:

I'm off to Tag in a few hours to do some banking and grocery shopping. When I get back, I'll focus in on this. :think:

Although NaNaWriMo strongly encourages its authors to start from scratch (research and outlines are okay), this isn't an iron rule and the NaNaWriMo cops aren't going to bust you for any violations.

My intention is to take this opportunity to do some housecleaning. My novel,The Count of Monte Banco, has sat nearly finished for months. :sleep: If I recall correctly I have only three partial chapters to go, maybe 6-8000 words total. I believe I'll take a whack at finishing this. :yeah:

I'm off to Tag in a few hours to do some banking and grocery shopping. When I get back, I'll focus in on this. :think:
I used to conscientiously start a new project every time, which is probably why it took 9 years to finish one (well, plus the fact that I hadn't disciplined myself to write every day or at least loosely follow an outline).

Now, however, my wins have come when I either start or continue a long project that has an outline of what I want to do with it, and where I want to end up. I might meander getting there, but at least I know the eventual destination.

I'm continuing my Kingmaker project, and have a Plan B in mind in case writer's block happens (I've been working on this since November 2018 and while there's a humongous amount of story I still want to do, taking an occasional break is important).

I popped over to the NaNoWriMo forums last night and someone asked if anyone had an impulse to write fanfic based on '80s/'90s TV shows. Of course I wrote copious amounts of fanfic based on The Crow: Stairway to Heaven... and as I read the posts in that thread, an idea just popped into my head and won't leave. It's basically how a Crow would react to this coronavirus situation (emotional/psychological reaction; it wouldn't affect them physically as Crows are undead and mortal diseases don't affect them).

I should think a Highlander story would work as well; after all one of the recurring characters in the TV series was killed during a plague (hit over the head; the first death has to be violent to trigger the Immortal process) and rescued by another Immortal.

NaNoWriMo has a 50% off Scrivener if you win the Camp. :think: Now, if they'd just hurry up and get Scrivener 3 for Windows out....

Q: NanoWriMo begins 1 minute after midnight on April 1. Is that Pacific Time, local time, or what?
I believe their website runs on Pacific Time.

This is something I'm not actually sure about, and need to find out. It used to be that you could adjust your daily total if you made a mistake or couldn't post in time (as happens sometimes if the computer is slow or there's a browser crash or whatever other annoying things happen).

When they rolled out the new website last year, this was something no longer doable, and it garnered a LOT of complaints. Hopefully they've fixed it, because it really messed up a lot of people's totals when they tried to correct themselves and couldn't.

I recommend the Support forum there, because I guarantee that whatever questions you have, so will others. The members are very good about sharing information, and aren't shy about asking TPTB to explain stuff.

Fortunately it's not that far off for me. I'm in the Mountain zone, so it's only an hour's difference.

I think I'm four hours ahead of PST.

I think I'm four hours ahead of PST.
Pacific, Mountain, Central, Eastern, Atlantic, Newfoundland.

canada-time-zones.png

@Zkribbler is waaay offscreen to the west. ( :wavey: ) The pink area is Mountain, but they keep the same time year-round, and the little purple patch in Saskatchewan is the city of Lloydminster, which is simultaneously in both Alberta and Saskatchewan.

And I just realized something unrelated to NaNoWriMo, but struck me as I'm looking at this map. I don't know of any CFC members from Saskatchewan, Manitoba, or Newfoundland and Labrador. There are people from all the other provinces and territories.

Who is from the Yukon, NWT, or Nunavut? :confused:
Assuming they filled in their location information correctly, I've run across at least one person from each territory over the years. I don't remember two of them offhand since it was a long time ago, but I ran across the third person today, in OT.

I might try this this year. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure but this is something I've always wanted to do.

I might try this this year. I have a lot on my plate at the moment, so I'm not entirely sure but this is something I've always wanted to do.
The more, the merrier! :yup:

:ack: I'm not going to formally enter. We're not even at the beginning date and already I'm stressing. :aargh: So as before. I'll merely follow along here and cheer folks on

:ack: I'm not going to formally enter. We're not even at the beginning date and already I'm stressing. :aargh: So as before. I'll merely follow along here and cheer folks on
Not even a thousand words? That's only 34 words/day. That's the work of less than 5 minutes for me.

Remember, it's expected that most people are doing first drafts. Nobody's will be perfect, and in any case, you never have to show it to anyone unless you want to.

This is about camaraderie and encouragement, as well as the writing. The other day on the NaNo forums, someone was asking if she should be embarrassed for wanting to write fanfic based on the Archie comics. I told her absolutely not - if that's what she likes, go for it. I'm certainly not someone to judge another for that, since I still have a few dozen Archie digests which I re-read every few years.

If you recall, my 16-chapter novel,The Count of Monte Banco, has sat nearly finished for months. :sleep:The novel has three villains. Revenge is gained against one in Chapter 13; against the second in Chapter 14; against the third in Chapter 15; and Chapter 16 is the conclusion. My problem is that for months, Chapters 14, 15 & 16 are each less than half done. I've been thinking until my thinker is sore but I don't know where to go.. I had hoped maybe with the motivation of NaNaWriMo I could push ahead...but no :shake:

My plan is to now polish things up as possible and then look to my editor in Texas for advice :please: She is a brilliant editor, and maybe she can give me insight. :yup:

Top Bottom