Can I have your opinions?

Plotinus said:
Are we talking about films? Or plays? Or some kind of ballet? "Choreography" means dancing.

Personally I find any kind of plays hard to watch because I cannot force my mind past the fact that they are actors and might forget their words at any point, or something else might go wrong. I much prefer films because I know that can't happen. Therefore I would not want to watch a "realistic" fight on a stage because of the chance that something might go hideously wrong. But I wouldn't mind on a film because that couldn't happen - at least in the final cut...
Choreography is the equivalent of Reciting; it applies to dancing, but also other arts including fencing etc.

I don't like plays either :p

IglooDude may have put his finger on it. Maybe every movie has glaring faults in it when the viewer has some knowledge. With all the millions they chuck at producing those things, you would be forgiven for thinking they consult experts. You would be wrong, but you would be forgiven :rolleyes:

IglooDude said:
I don't think it is because of danger, Stormbind, I think it is out of laziness.

There are certain movies I can't watch (generally Navy-related) because they're doing it wrong. In one movie the entire plot revolves around getting half a radio message. It is impossible with today's equipment to get half a message. It wouldn't surprise me if in the instance of swordplay, they dumb it down because the actors can't learn the real ways well enough.
I didn't know that, but I still thought Crimson Tide was a good movie.
The best though, is in martial arts films and it is 20 to 1, and the larger side conveniently sends one or two at a time at the 1 so he is able to defeat them all.

IglooDude may have put his finger on it. Maybe every movie has glaring faults in it when the viewer has some knowledge. With all the millions they chuck at producing those things, you would be forgiven for thinking they consult experts. You would be wrong, but you would be forgiven

The public has been educated sword fighting looks more like an elaborate act of "hopping around & ducking", that two cars colliding at 10 km/hour can cause them both to explode into a huge fireball or that Superman can fly with Lois Lane on his back at the speed of sound and Lois does not get vaporised :crazyeye:

Aphex_Twin said:
The public has been educated sword fighting looks more like an elaborate act of "hopping around & ducking", that two cars colliding at 10 km/hour can cause them both to explode into a huge fireball or that Superman can fly with Lois Lane on his back at the speed of sound and Lois does not get vaporised :crazyeye:

Or even that someone can shoot several rounds from a pistol in a room and then be able to hear normal conversation again immediately afterward. And while I'm at it, that the pistols somehow don't recoil when fired, that people are bodily flung backward when hit by a bullet, and don't get me going about the Hollywood fantasies about silencers... :mad:

IglooDude said:
Or even that someone can shoot several rounds from a pistol in a room and then be able to hear normal conversation again immediately afterward. And while I'm at it, that the pistols somehow don't recoil when fired, that people are bodily flung backward when hit by a bullet, and don't get me going about the Hollywood fantasies about silencers... :mad:
I hate that too. I spent almost two hours explaining to someone how a shotgun would not make you fly 10 feet backwards. If it did, the person who fired would be going backwwards farther.

Syterion said:
I didn't know that, but I still thought Crimson Tide was a good movie.
The best though, is in martial arts films and it is 20 to 1, and the larger side conveniently sends one or two at a time at the 1 so he is able to defeat them all.

That same movie had several other serious technical mistakes (one common one being that warships/aircraft/etc are able to count down the exact number of seconds till a missile/torpedo hits) but it was the fact that the plot revolved around the half-message that really ruined it for me. Every time the CO and XO were arguing about it I was hollering "fire your radioman for bringing you that message, it's a fake!" Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman did their considerable best in it, though.

I just had an intelligent conversation along those lines...

Limey: Two cars collide at 5mph, and explode in a ball of fire... sending the drivers high into the air where they battle with swords until they land... then a concorde flies past with a string dangling from it, which the hero grabs onto and is taken to safety.
Yanky: uhhh... 5 mph?
Limey: Yup.
Yanky: not gonna explode
Yanky: just a tap
Limey: What if they were peddle power? Would they explode then?
Yanky: nope
Yanky: need gas to explode
Limey: Well, what if the bad guy has flatulence.
Yanky: LOL
Yanky: well then you need someone to light a match :p
Limey: Ok, the good guy has flatulence and the bad guy is smoking.
Yanky: well it's a longshot... but go for it

Notice something? Notice how my friend, Yanky, who it seems was being serious.. didn't realise the million other flaws?

stormbind said:
I just had an intelligent conversation along those lines...

Limey: Two cars collide at 5mph, and explode in a ball of fire... sending the drivers high into the air where they battle with swords until they land... then a concorde flies past with a string dangling from it, which the hero grabs onto and is taken to safety.
Yanky: uhhh... 5 mph?
Limey: Yup.
Yanky: not gonna explode
Yanky: just a tap
Limey: What if they were peddle power? Would they explode then?
Yanky: nope
Yanky: need gas to explode
Limey: Well, what if the bad guy has flatulence.
Yanky: LOL
Yanky: well then you need someone to light a match :p
Limey: Ok, the good guy has flatulence and the bad guy is smoking.
Yanky: well it's a longshot... but go for it

Notice something? Notice how my friend, Yanky, who it seems was being serious.. didn't realise the million other flaws?

If he was like me, his brain just caught the first thing that didn't make sense, and was chewing on that as you rattled off the rest of it. :p

Oh, so... if you start the show with an obvious blunder.. all the others will go unoticed? :)

stormbind said:
Oh, so... if you start the show with an obvious blunder.. all the others will go unoticed? :)

:lol: No, but if you start reading me a list where the first item is strange, I might not catch the rest of the list the first time around.

Well, it's a well-known fact that much of the plot of "Lord of the Flies" revolves around an impossibility (Piggy's glasses being used to light fires), but it's still considered a good book.

I suppose that all fiction is intrinsically improbable (given that it didn't happen). It's impossible to achieve full authenticity. Different authors, film-makers etc. must simply find their own line to take.

Plotinus said:
Well, it's a well-known fact that much of the plot of "Lord of the Flies" revolves around an impossibility (Piggy's glasses being used to light fires), but it's still considered a good book.

What if they were really thick glasses?

Edit:
I suppose that all fiction is intrinsically improbable (given that it didn't happen). It's impossible to achieve full authenticity. Different authors, film-makers etc. must simply find their own line to take.
They could at least try to obtain some authenticity. Perhaps not in the obsessive-perfectionist manner of the Space Odissey (still the most accurate sci-fi ever made), but at least something better.

Aphex_Twin said:
What if they were really thick glasses?

Edit:

They could at least try to obtain some authenticity. Perhaps not in the obsessive-perfectionist manner of the Space Odissey (still the most accurate sci-fi ever made), but at least something better.
They were glass back then aswell, which may have made a difference...

Top Bottom