Can someone please recommend a game?

Jawz II

Oh Dear
I'm desperate for a new game. I've played my favourites to bits, very tired of them.

I'm not looking for any game, what I want is a turn-based strategy game where you have a set of core units that improve with time and you can recruit more troops too.

This is a list of my favourites to give you an idea:

Jagged Alliance 2
Panzer General 1 & 2
Civilization 2 & 3
Peoples General
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Heroes of Might and Magic 3 & 4

Please dont tell me about world of warcraft or starcraft or any real-time strategy games ot first person shooters, I'm looking for Turn-Based Strategy.

Is it just me, or aren't they making any good ones any more?

Galactic Civilization II? Sword of the Stars?

The Paradox Games such as Hearts of Iron and Europa Universailles are almost turn based since you pause so much. Yhey are more like real-time version of turn-based (vastly more complex) risk. I do suggest trying the demos for EUIII: Heir to the Throne and Hearts of Iron 3 irregardless of interest in semi-rts.

www.gog.com might have some games for you too, such as the original Fallout.

Battle of Wesnoth

The Kings Bounty

Disciples series

I'll second PrinceScamp's recommendations. GalCiv2 is fun and so are several Paradox titles.
You might also look at Imperialism II. It's dated but still fun to play! Check out my AAR in this thread.
It also looks like you like tactical squad based games so I recommend UFO:Extraterrestrials BUT only if you mod it with bman's 4.07 mod! Or try the original XCOM games which are on sale at Steam if you hurry.
Also check out the Matrix Games website for good other turn based titles.

Galciv II is fun, but pales to Civ 4 (imo). However if you can find it for cheap I'd recommend it, it is fun and it's something new :D

Also, EU3 or HOI2/3 are also recommended. They're RTS but as said, you pause it a LOT and well, it plays like a TBS game! :D

If you like Fallout 2, then I highly recommend Planescape: Torment, though that's a D&D based RPG.

Why bother with 5 when 3 is so good? :p
It's different. It added lots of new concepts and changed the gameplay around.

Things can be perfect in different ways. :)

Thanks for the tips guys, Ill try some of those.

I think I tried galactic civilization, its the free game isnt it?
Didnt like it much.

Ive tried steel panthers too, its the one from early 90s isnt it?
Looked very complicated.

These.

And why did you not play Heroes5 ? Heroes5 is the only one that gets CLOSE to the perfection of Heroes3.

Hey HC, nice to see youre still around.

I have to say my all time favourite in the heroes series is the 4th one, though most heroes fans didnt give that one a fair chance, I feel.

The secret to enjoying that game is using the troops mostly for defense only, just leave them in towns. Put together a band of only heroes, load them up with potions and weapons and once theyre level 5-10 or so, theyre nearly undefeatable.

Its like a band of superheroes with different powers and stuff, very fun.

I didnt like the 5th much, cause I thought the graphics sucked, the 3d stuff is ugly, and I hate manga, also, a big deal for me, I didnt get to choose campaign, I have to finish one to get the next one, I hate that.

Hey HC, nice to see youre still around.
Oh yea, with a rise in activity in the recent months. :D
I have to say my all time favourite in the heroes series is the 4th one, though most heroes fans didnt give that one a fair chance, I feel.

The secret to enjoying that game is using the troops mostly for defense only, just leave them in towns. Put together a band of only heroes, load them up with potions and weapons and once theyre level 5-10 or so, theyre nearly undefeatable.

Its like a band of superheroes with different powers and stuff, very fun.
This seems like a great idea. Played this way, i bet the game is much more intresting, kinda like Might&Magic. :)

I didnt like the 5th much, cause I thought the graphics sucked, the 3d stuff is ugly, and I hate manga, also, a big deal for me, I didnt get to choose campaign, I have to finish one to get the next one, I hate that.
Yea the 3D graphics suck. However they are better than the H4 3d graphics. :D

Yea the anime tints of some of the units are really lame. And yea when i first played it, it gave me a very bad impression. But somehow, by the third campaign i was hooked and loved it more and more since then. Then came the addons, with alternative upgrades - the number of unit types reached huge numbers. This is one of the thing i loved the most about H3 - loads of diff units, and also what i hated most about H4 - obscenely few unit types.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

Battle for Wesnoth might fit the bill, one of the most important parts of each campaign is building up your core group of units as you progress through the scenarios. It's a free game, but very high quality.

http://www.wesnoth.org/

Battle for Wesnoth might fit the bill, one of the most important parts of each campaign is building up your core group of units as you progress through the scenarios. It's a free game, but very high quality.

That's why I mentioned it. Pretty much you have to cry and maybe restart a campaign if you lose a highly promoted unit.

Top Bottom