• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Cannot Locate CD-ROM, but Disc 1 is in!

Sirch Hanom

Chieftain
When Disc 1, traditionally the Play disk, is put into the drive, no message comes up that says "Play, Start, Option, etc." When I click the icon after the disc is inside, it displays the message "Cannot locate CD-ROM". I have played before on Disc 1, but now it doesn't work each time I put in the disc. It is clearly labeled Disc 1, but there is no "Play Disc" Label on it, nor is there one on Disc 2.
What's going on?

I also have the "Cannot Locate CD-ROM" problem, even though Disc 1 is in.

I am running Windows Vista and installed the vanilla Civilization 4. When I installed version 1.00, it worked fine. After I installed the version 1.74 patch, I received the d3dx9_32 error. After reading the bulletin boards here, I downloaded and copied the DLL to the system32 and Civ4 directories and fixed that error. Now, however, it gives me the "Cannot Locate CD-ROM" problem, even though I was able to run Civ 4 fine using version 1.00 out of the box. Can anyone help?

Thank you. I appreciate the community of people willing to help frustrated users like me!

Welcome to Civfanatics :band:
I trust you did look through the stuff I linked to in the post above yours?
The 1.74 (and 2.13 for warlords) patches changed some behavior regarding the safedisk routine apparently. My best guess would be that that made your cd/dvd drive drivers incompatible, which would not be surprising considering that some drivers for Vista are still unstable. You might want to check for updated drivers...

Thanks, Ori. I checked for updated Safedisc drivers, and for updated drivers for my CD/DVD drive, but everything does seem up to date. I also checked the hints you provided earlier in this thread but they don't seem to be helpful. So I'm not sure how to fix the problem, aside from playing on version 1.00 without applying the patch!

If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I'm resigned to not being able to play Civ4 until newer drivers do come out. Thank you.

a few common reasons - though for most people it does not help, its worth a try.
Welcome to Civfanatics :band:

PS: did you patch the game recently?

Here's a variation of the 'Cannot locate CD-ROM' not mentioned in the 3 or 4 threads I've seen on this problem.

I installed Civ 4, 1.74 patch, BTS & 3.13(?) patch (all legit Australian versions - well, BTS says 'made in EU'). All worked perfectly, started TAM game - no problems at all. THEN I decided to compress the C drive. That was the ONLY change I made. Result? 'Cannot locate CD-ROM'.

Went to 2K - useless; tried ALL the 7 or so solutions at the Microsoft (may they be sufficiently damned!) - none worked.

Any ideas anyone? Ta:cry:

PS: Just tried a Civ4 game - works fine; but BTS shows same error message, whether starting game from CD or opening savegame.

[QUOTE=Stunt Double;6442962]To follow up on my "Please insert correct CD-ROM question" -- another site user suggested a fix that worked for me. See: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6442958#post6442958

After changing the compatability settings, I still received the "error loading shader libraries error", but downloaded the Microsoft patch suggested by the forum here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=261221

... and now it finally works![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the hint, Stunt Double. Tried a no. of things - eventually un-installed BTS, then re-installed BTS + v.3.13 onto still-working-fine Civ4. Bingo - everything works fine.:)

I also have the "Cannot Locate CD-ROM" problem, even though Disc 1 is in.

I am running Windows Vista and installed the vanilla Civilization 4. When I installed version 1.00, it worked fine. After I installed the version 1.74 patch, I received the d3dx9_32 error. After reading the bulletin boards here, I downloaded and copied the DLL to the system32 and Civ4 directories and fixed that error. Now, however, it gives me the "Cannot Locate CD-ROM" problem, even though I was able to run Civ 4 fine using version 1.00 out of the box. Can anyone help?

Thank you. I appreciate the community of people willing to help frustrated users like me!

I am having similar problems.

I just did the D3dx9_32 fix suggested above, can now get to the loading screen, but receive the error that the appropriate CD is not in the drive. I only have Civ4 Vanilla, no expansions.

I have installed patch 1.74.

I run WinXP. I dont know how to turn of "compatibility mode" in XP as was suggested by that post here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=6442958#post6442958 , as linked above, but if I did, maybe that could help.

I have already invested hours and hours in attempting to get this game to run under 1.74 and am slowly running out of steam, I have never experienced so many problems with any game, let alone one with these years of patches behind it. If anyone can give me a hand, I would be most grateful. Thank you!

Thank you.
Just checked, compatability was off, and there is a drop-down menu for compat which only goes up to Win2000, nothing for WinXP.
Is there anytihng else I can do? Still cant find CD!!!

Top Bottom