Can't browse or download mods

ironclad

Chieftain
When I try and download or browse mods in any field, my wireless internet suddenly hangs. An initial list of mods comes up on the main Mods page (a cached version perhaps), but if I try and browse by category, change the way the mods are listed, or try and download one listed, my connection hangs. The spinning green dot continues to spin, the download stalls at "Connecting".

After this, if I go back and click exit, the game GUI exits but the music continues. Task manager shows that, though I clicked exit ingame and it seemed to exit, the process is still running and I need to kill it manually.

The strangest thing about this is that it kills my entire internet connection, it doesn't just fail for Civ5. I noticed this once when I tried after a patch (to see if they fixed it), I was streaming a video in background and the stream suddenly hanged. I alt-tab'ed to find out I couldn't access any websites on the internet. It is only until I kill the Civilization5.exe process that I can get connectivity for my box back.

When running network monitor in the background I see a big spike of activity but then it craps out.

My situation:
I am on a laptop running win 7 32bit and on wireless.
My steam directory is on my D:/ drive.

EDIT: I was able to see multiplayer games before and able to join them. Currently none are showing up in the browser but that might be unrelated, a bug with 1.0.20

My initial guesses:
Civ mods might use a protocol for downloading that my wireless driver can't handle. IDK if that is the case, I assume that the mods are being directly dled from a single server via ftp or something.

Frankly I am kind of glad I am not the only one. Looking over the other civ V forums I can find no one with our issue. Please post back in this thread if you get more info or a solution! I will be sure to update this thread if I figure it out.

I haven't tried upgrading network drivers... might need to do that.

Weird side-note: I was able to click on a mod and hit download in the 5 seconds I get before the screen times out. It told me it couldn't connect or whatever, so I went on to play single-player for a little while. When I went back to browse mods, it had actually downloaded the one I selected, and I was able to install it. Unfortunately I can't get to any of the mods I want, because asking it to sort in anything other than the default "newest" causes that dreaded "loading" circle to appear.

Ive been experiencing this same issue, and wanted to ask if an of you, or anyone else, had discovered a solution?

same here...I was hoping that the patch would solve this but it only makes it stay on for a few more seconds and then the same thing...Am I missing something? Is there something in my settings that I need to fix? Somebody please help!

Just confirming that I also have this problem. No idea what could be wrong.

I have a wired internet connection, Steam on D drive, running Windows 7 x64. NIC is a Realtek RTL8168D.

There is no way to turn it off on my Belkin, you just have to actually disable the firewall part of the router. It will of course vary from router to router

Its not the end of the world though - just disable the firewall part of the router, start Civ and browse the mods, install what you want and alt tab back to enable the firewall before you play.

I am sure Firaxis will fix it - it must be creating a lot of connections at once and there is no real reason for it to do that.

Thanks for the welcome to the forums!

:think: that's not that nice.
I'd like to have a description for "dummys" how to do that, but i guess there are just too many models and for non computer save persons...ahhh....Firaxis...FIX IT.
Should not be too difficult after the reason is known.

With the latest patch, just released, I can now browse and download mods. I guess their network team learned 2 code.

(slight sarcasm)

Top Bottom