Can't I tell nations to move their troops?

Circlet the Zen

Chieftain
The AI makes it extremely obvious when they plan to go to war with you, just sending a huge army directly to your border. In my current game, I am England fighting against Germany.

Germany sends his ridiculously-sized assault force consisting of six trebuchets with an entourage of 7 pikemen and a few crossbows to boot over to one of my cities. I get my army there, but know that he has the upper hand because he gets the first attack. When I move my armies to the borders of other empires, they tell me to move my troops. I either have the option to break that promise or declare war right then and there. Breaking the promise makes me look bad for other nations.

Why can't I tell Germany to move his troops? So that I get the first attack, instead of him? If I attack his advancing army, I look like a warmonger. If he attacks my defending army, he gets the upper hand.

I think that this is a major problem with defending your own. It should be fixed, and an option added to ask a nation to move their troops.

I agree, it's odd that the AI can contact me and ask me wtf I'm doing with all those troops in/near their territory, but I can't call them on their obvious preparations for war.

would be nice to tell them to move from my boarders as well as to tell them to stop spreading religion or ask them to spread it to me.

I get annoyed at how often the AI comments on my "large amount of troops near their border" when they're within MY borders to fend off their warmongering hordes...

I get my army there, but know that he has the upper hand because he gets the first attack.

In my opinion it is tactically suicidal to keep the army near the border if you are going to defend. It is much more useful to keep your defending forces in a line including your nearest sity. This way you will attack first as soon enemy forces come closer.

yes i've been wanting this for a long time as well. we should have the ability to ask the AI what they're doing with all those troops on our border as well as taunt them every now and then about their puny empire, or uncultured people banging rocks together.

They really should put some more diplomacy options for players.
  • Your troops near my borders
  • Insults to AI (really want this one)
  • Don't spread your religion to my lands
  • ETC...

Plus, did anyone manage to pull off a successful demand ? :confused:

I want a backed by nuclear weapons message option and a message to tell them to keep thier missionaries out of my lands, too...

Was just wishing for this yesterday when Babylon parked a trireme at the mouth of a fjord leading to my capital the turn I completed a work boat. After 5 or so turns I killed the work boat and he didn't leave for probably 10 more turns. How did the Devs program A-hole into the AI?

They really should put some more diplomacy options for players.
  • Your troops near my borders
  • Insults to AI (really want this one)
  • Don't spread your religion to my lands
  • ETC...

nope. it is not demand but read pls.
i burned Russia to the ground. only i left 2 Civ city to capital. and send troops to surrond it. then i click Catherina and said. i will peace you 10 turn and what will you give me?
only 10 turn peace with me and my ally CS's.
what? you have like 200 gold. 2 gpt have little luxary something and still trying to resist me? still not giving that money. they prefer to die and game over.

Part if me thinks "yeah, we should be able to do that too," and then part of me thinks "but we also have the ability to sell 6 resources to the AI for a huge sum of money when we know they're going to DoW, which is even better!" :p

In my opinion it is tactically suicidal to keep the army near the border if you are going to defend. It is much more useful to keep your defending forces in a line including your nearest sity. This way you will attack first as soon enemy forces come closer.

Depends on terrain, but I agree in general right on the border gives the opponent too many possible advantages to be able to attack from the comfort of their own borders with movement, healing and other possible advantages.

Let them come a few spaces in and hang out in some open plains while I'm perched on the high ground of my choosing and try to come at me. :popcorn:

I just want this citystate's spearguy to GET THE HECK OUT OF THE WAY so I can build a road to their capital like they want.

I did once in Vanilla, haven't really tried in G&K (issued a few just to tick off the AI, like that works :lol: ). I believe it's similar to the CS demand, where you have to have an overwhelming military force nearby to back it up.

Also, regarding the reply someone posted about peace offerings from the AI...it might be my imagination, but it seems like AI leaders are much more willing to give up gold/luxuries/cities after the first time you go to war with them, but if you make peace & then DoW again later they'll generally only offer truce for truce (at best). Maybe something the devs built in to avoid the obvious exploit.

Was just wishing for this yesterday when Babylon parked a trireme at the mouth of a fjord leading to my capital the turn I completed a work boat. After 5 or so turns I killed the work boat and he didn't leave for probably 10 more turns. How did the Devs program A-hole into the AI?

If posssible buy tile trireme is on, it will force them to move, unless you gave them open borders in which case you deserve to be inconvenienced. :D
I almost never give the AI open borders as it will always put its units in my way.

Demands only seem to work when you have friendly relations with a civ. Lots of green, and little to no red. I demanded that England stop building cities near me when we were just about best friends and they agreed. If you are hostile to them, they will never agree. Relations will deteriorate very quickly however if you don't smooth it out somehow.

I would REALLY like an "eject this unit from my country" option on the random @#$@# scouts that decide to forever camp on the one tile that is the linchpin for my whole trade network. Or any unit that is in my territory because of open borders.

Top Bottom