Can't update steam

jklaidlaw

Chieftain
hi
i can't update steam nor can i play Civ5. i keep getting the following message " Steam. exe(main exception) Error:delete of steam exe.failed, Win error5" access denied" .my system is Win7 prof.,intel Core 2 duo cpu E6750 @2.66ghz, mem 3gb,32 bit op system.
can anyone help me to fix this prob.
yours aye
jklaidlaw

hi
i have just signed on to steam and it starts to update and then i get the message
yours aye
jklaidlaw

hi PrinceScamp
many thanks for your help i can now play civ5. prior to that steam update i didn't have to use administrator rights. when the next update comes that will be the first thing i do.
many thanks
yours aye
jklaidlaw

If you want to avoid the permission mess with Steam, just install it in the root of a file system, for example C:\ and then allow the users on your machine to have a total control on it (right click on the Steam Directory, Properties, Security).
This should allow you to do virtually anything on your Steam directory without being yelled at by the Windows UAC, which is useful in case you want to install certain mods for Civ IV.

Except that when you uninstall Steam it deletes EVERYTHING in the folder its installed into (instead of just its own files for some reason). So make sure its installed into its own folder named like Steam or something and not just C:\.

Top Bottom